• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual column shifter sloppy

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
In neutral and even in gear, the column shift was super loose and sloppy. I could get it into gear but it felt like a dead fish flop when I would let go. I opened it up and figured I could replace the bearings. What parts am I missing that hold the upper steering column shifter in place. Ideally I would like a firm shifter. Here are some pics of me taking it apart.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3XBMPp2JC48Pc4E9A

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I would replace the Column Shifter, Upper and Lower bearings, and any of the smaller wear and tear parts you can see. I would also look at the linkage / bracket that attaches the shift tube to the transmission. I have an Auto but I'll bet the issues are the same.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not that I remember hearing about. What year is yours though? If it’s a 66 there might be differences there that I’m not aware of.

OP
OP
Abe Jauregui

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
What happened was I removed the steering wheel and everything in between that and the shift tube to try and fix the slop. I put the shift tube back and put everything back and now I have slop and it won’t shift into 2 & 3. After taking it apart again it will grab 2 and 3 if I push the shift tube really way down in the column with a lot of tension, but doing that will not left the shifter line up with the hole on top of the collar now because it’s way deeper in the column. That’s why I thought my shift tube might be too short.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see. It does seem odd though that you can even push it down and change the location. Is it possible that the lower retaining collar has slipped and is just letting the shaft move up too high with the steering wheel? This might “uncouple“ things a bit.
Maybe there’s a halfway position that’s better.

OP
OP
Abe Jauregui

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
I see. It does seem odd though that you can even push it down and change the location. Is it possible that the lower retaining collar has slipped and is just letting the shaft move up too high with the steering wheel? This might “uncouple“ things a bit.
Maybe there’s a halfway position that’s better.
I will check tonight. This sounds stupid, but for a 1970, which shifter arm is first and reverse on the column? The one closest to the firewall right? The smaller one? I’ve read elsewhere that first and reverse is the bigger arm? On the tranny, first and reverse is the arm closest to the grill.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, must be closest to the firewall.
I couldn’t tell you whether it’s the short or long one, but the one to the rear is for first and reverse because you pull back on the shift lever to reach it.

OP
OP
Abe Jauregui

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
Yes, must be closest to the firewall.
I couldn’t tell you whether it’s the short or long one, but the one to the rear is for first and reverse because you pull back on the shift lever to reach it.

I’ve seen some diagrams too. Is it just they have it reversed on the rods to the tranny?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what you mean by reversed. You talking about the fact that the first/reverse lever on the trans is the front one?
If so, then yes that does not really mean anything, but is likely why the shift rods are so convoluted/bent/curved and awkward to work with under the tunnel.

Does not really matter that one shift lever is on the front while the matching actuating lever on the column is in the front. As long as things line up when they should.

Paul

OP
OP
Abe Jauregui

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
Not sure what you mean by reversed. You talking about the fact that the first/reverse lever on the trans is the front one?
If so, then yes that does not really mean anything, but is likely why the shift rods are so convoluted/bent/curved and awkward to work with under the tunnel.

Does not really matter that one shift lever is on the front while the matching actuating lever on the column is in the front. As long as things line up when they should.

Paul
Thanks for your help. this is where I was confused. In the ford manual with this diagram. the top left says the first and reverse arms on the tranny are the rear ones.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xLVUrYa52DPZJLURe30VX0Oyyfz3uKXw/view?usp=sharing

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually I had to think about that during your first post, but forgot to comment on it.
I think first and reverse ARE the rear sections.
If I remember my visuals anyway, the big gears are to the rear and the small ones to the front.
That means the rear lever is in fact the first and reverse lever.

OP
OP
Abe Jauregui

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
You are correct. I just tested it safely. If ur helps, I have ford transmission c8ar 7006-c which is more common is fairlanes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was going by what you were saying, but not really thinking about what I remember.
But I’m pretty sure that’s correct. Even if I’m not remembering correctly, if that’s what the book says, I’d go with it.

OP
OP
Abe Jauregui

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
@DirtDonk it shifts like a dream now. All it needed was a spring washed… it adds just enough pressure in the column between shifter housing and beginning of the column to line up everything perfect. For those in the future that have a sloppy column shift, look for the below washer.

OEM Ford 3spd Manual Bushing Washer Springs C2OZ-7C228-B