• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Car shipping recommendations

triracer67

Contributor
Son is looking to ship car from Seattle to St. Louis. Anyone have recommendations?

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Used US Star Trucking last week to send an F250 to Vegas (from Salem OR)
They sent a hotshot and 24 hours later the customer in Vegas had it. $800 and no drama at all...

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
I use the UShip app and solicit bids. It allows you to set requirements and ask questions before your ad closes. In the end, you dont need to pick any of the bids if you aren't comfortable. IMO, it is the quickest way to get estimates and carriers booked. I usually end up finding a local carrier that will transport my cars wherever i need. A local company has always been important to me in case i need to stop by their office... i know where to find them!

Waldo

Contributor
Do NOT use "We Will Transport It" out of Fla. Supposed to provide an enclosed trailer for a car delivery last Jan. Instead I got this.

Attachments

• 20210110_082626 - Copy.jpg
    20210110_082626 - Copy.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
I use the UShip app and solicit bids. It allows you to set requirements and ask questions before your ad closes. In the end, you dont need to pick any of the bids if you aren't comfortable. IMO, it is the quickest way to get estimates and carriers booked. I usually end up finding a local carrier that will transport my cars wherever i need. A local company has always been important to me in case i need to stop by their office... i know where to find them!
This is what we did, car won’t ship for a few weeks so we will see what happens.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley

does montway have their own fleet now? i know they used to use a network of carriers so it wasn't always them that transported your car. that added layer of subscontracting was enough for me to steer away from them

MD

does montway have their own fleet now? i know they used to use a network of carriers so it wasn't always them that transported your car. that added layer of subscontracting was enough for me to steer away from them
I used Montway earlier this year and they were really great. I'm not sure exactly how they vet transporters, but they do have a higher class of drivers and they are quick and efficient. I did get a quote with uship for roughly the same price, but with much longer delays for pickup and delivery.

Almost no one has their own fleet. Even when I hired Intercity for enclosed transport back in 2005, the truck had the Intercity logo on the trailer, but the driver was an owner-operator who sub-contracted with Intercity.

I did use Demoise trucking to move 4 vehicles including a non-running Bronco across country, and they were excellent, but they have since retired. They were a group of brothers who ran their own trucks, but even with an excellent reputation for quality and service, it is very hard to compete with modern logistics which can match good individual operators with transport needs. If drivers can quickly fill a truck and operate efficiently everyone benefits.

There are plenty of bad brokers out there. You would think in this era of internet they would be out of business, but not so. In 99, I needed to ship my daily driver from PA to CA. I had helped my landlord get a Mercedes shipped via Horseless Carriage a very high end shipper, but they were way out of my price range. So I searched around and found a company called AA Auto Transport out of Southern California who promised me they had their own fleet of trucks and they weren't a broker. They told me it would take 8 days, and they had GPS tracking, so I could constantly know the progress, so like a sucker I signed the contract. When I contacted the driver for pickup, he said I needed to bring it to his house. His trailer was empty, and I asked when he was headed out, and he said when he got enough cars to fill the trailer. A week later I flew to CA and started my new job expecting that my car would arrive in a few days. I ended up having to rent a car for 3 weeks, because AA Auto Transport could not tell me were the car was or when it would arrive. I checked with the BBB and they had a bad rating, but AA just told me that the BBB just uses complaints to shake down businesses for extra money. When the car arrived it was completely covered in diesel soot and the battery was toast and would not start, so they just unloaded the car in the median and left it there. I learned a hard lesson. Still to this day they are somehow still in business although they do seem to operate under many different names. But you can still find AA Auto Tranport on review sites with a long list of complaints and 1 star reviews.

OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
Just a quick follow up. Best quote and price was NAO auto out of Spokane. 1150 to ship from Seattle to St. Louis. It took four days, car was perfect and arrived in covered carrier. I would definitely use them again.

Yumstein

You've probably addressed it by now I imagine, but I wanted to throw out a company I've used a couple times and had good luck with: https://www.a1autotransport.com/ They did a good job and came in a little cheaper than the others I looked at at the time. Seems like they're a fairly big operation and ship in just about every state.