• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ICON Tire Carrier Bracket

NickC24

Contributor
ICON has finally released their tire carrier for purchase. In my opinion this is the best looking carrier that allows you to use the stock bumper and move the tire to the drivers side to show off the FORD stamping on the tailgate.

So excited!

icon-stock-rear-tire-carrier-system

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Duffs is no mods to the stock bumper at all. It looks like Icon's you have to cut out and drill holes.

I also like the swing to be passenger side for when you're on the side of the highway changing a tire.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

BruiserOutdoors

I like the fact that it exposes and shows off the "FORD" lettering. I like the lick creek/duff product a bit better however.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Duffs is no mods to the stock bumper at all. It looks like Icon's you have to cut out and drill holes.

I also like the swing to be passenger side for when you're on the side of the highway changing a tire.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

No mods to bumper, but does that really matter? I think the Icon carrier overall looks cleaner than the duffs.

Mark1911

Omg, thank you for posting this.
I have been wanting tis for a few years now and have almost given up and attempted to design my own, life is too busy for it to happen in any sort of quick time frame. Yes, it's stupid expensive and still have to buy the bumper but Damit it's only money, right?

Mark.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
It has always been a mystery why these high dollar builders don't come up with a cleaner looking latch system for their mega dollar builds. I made one from a door latch and it fit inside the 2x4 channel, and it wasn't too hard. The latch even has a lock feature if you needed it.

Attachments

• rear 2.JPG
    rear 2.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 116
  • rear 5.JPG
    rear 5.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 121

jbawall

Contributor
Loc.
Edgewood, Washington
It has always been a mystery why these high dollar builders don't come up with a cleaner looking latch system for their mega dollar builds. I made one from a door latch and it fit inside the 2x4 channel, and it wasn't too hard. The latch even has a lock feature if you needed it.
That looks nice, how did you do it and what did you use for it? If you don't mind sharing.

71 CA Bronco

Is it the picture or does it looks like a larger size tire might cover your left tail light? Looks like a nice product but might be limited by tire size.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Nice looking truck and carrier. I have an affinity for super clean, detailed yet simple builds.

The reason for the simplistic latch is they have to deal with everyone. It has to be simple to use, adjustable to compensate for wear, manufacturing tolerances, ect. Engineering wise it needs to provide for some stability. That adjustability and stability ensure and prevent the death of any produced tire carrier, a rattle. If a tire carrier rattles it’s the death of its sales. So the simple, adjustable cam latch it is.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That looks nice, how did you do it and what did you use for it? If you don't mind sharing.
In the first pic you can see how I mounted the latching mechanism. It is from a hot rod supply shop. To the left I made a striker plate that guides the swing into an adjoining receiver to keep it from any up and down movement. I used the upper bumper mounting hole for post to catch the latch.

Attachments

• tire rack9 (2).JPG
    tire rack9 (2).JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 54
  • tire rack12.JPG
    tire rack12.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 53

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Nice looking truck and carrier. I have an affinity for super clean, detailed yet simple builds.

The reason for the simplistic latch is they have to deal with everyone. It has to be simple to use, adjustable to compensate for wear, manufacturing tolerances, ect. Engineering wise it needs to provide for some stability. That adjustability and stability ensure and prevent the death of any produced tire carrier, a rattle. If a tire carrier rattles it’s the death of its sales. So the simple, adjustable cam latch it is.
I appreciate what you're saying.