• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Door handle installation

coops1995

Hi! I just got new satin black door handles for my 69 truck and I am trying to figure out how to install them--any tips or tricks would be much appreciated!! Can't seem to find anything on youtube or tiktok to help and parts didn't come with instructions. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Are you talking about the inner paddle handles, or the outer push button handles?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not quick enough with my answer though!
I figured you all would’ve done it more often than me I have all the right moves to make.
Anyway, you will have to remove the inner door panel to access both the rod, and the small attaching screw that holds the handle in from the inside.
Once you open up the panel it’s pretty obvious how everything works. Just a little awkward.
In fact, even getting the panel off is sometimes awkward! But even that is pretty obvious once you take a look at it.

The two large screws that hold the armrest to the door are recessed in their holes and you should use either a long deep socket or better yet a nut driver so the short socket does not pull off inside.
If a short socket is all you have then perhaps taping it to an extension would be a cure for the lost socket blues.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Yeah... and working inside the door can be a major PITA depending on what you're doing... not much working clearance back in the latch mechanism/area. Here's one of my fun times findings.

Door Latch.jpg

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Hannah,

Since BronCowie was willing to climb in his door and take a picture, the rod in the red circle is connected to the outer door handle.
You need to pop the linkage clip off of the other end of rod and pull rod out of handle before you can remove handle.
It appears that the WH door handles comes with linkage clips, if not you will need to transfer the clip to the new handle.
And to get the full experience of owning an Early Bronco, save the old clips (& handles) so that your kids can figure out what to do with them, when they settle your estate.

2022-09-01_131304.jpg

Last edited:

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
And you may need to diassemble the handle itself and install the old push button from the original, as many of us have discovered, aftermarket parts being what they are. But that is another issue to be resolved if need be.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That option probably doesn’t work too well with the black.
Although, black with a little polished might not be that bad.

OP
OP
coops1995

coops1995

Thank you all for the help! I got the handles on but it seems like the tension on the rod isn’t tight enough to get the push button to open the door and I can’t seem to figure out how to fix that.

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
Looking at the photo in Post #7 from Oldtimer, it looks like the rod to the outer door handle (circled in red) is threaded, so as to allow it to be adjusted to lengthen or shorten the rod. Does yours look like that? And if so, can you adjust it to lengthen it, or is it already adjusted as long as it will get?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
EDIT AT 6:15;
Corrected the way latch works, and added picture.

Does the inside handle open the door with no issues?
The inside handle pushes on the lever that the outside handle is connected to.
If the inside handle works, then you need to adjust the outside rod at the threadded end.
I would disconnect the rod from the latch, lift up on lever to remove all play, pull down on the rod to remove all play, and thread the ftting up the rod until the fitting just fits in the hole in the lever, and install it,
If outside handle still won't open the door, then you will need to look at the push button part of outside handle.
I have read comments by many that the push button has been problemaitic.

My outside handle stopped releasing the latch. I had to pull the latch, and clean & lubricate it.

2022-09-17_180646.jpg

Last edited:

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Looking at the photo in Post #7 from Oldtimer, it looks like the rod to the outer door handle (circled in red) is threaded, so as to allow it to be adjusted to lengthen or shorten the rod. Does yours look like that? And if so, can you adjust it to lengthen it, or is it already adjusted as long as it will get?
A few years back, I had to adjust that rod nut to shorten the travel because I couldn't open the door from the outside... I think it slowly loosened/lengthened over the years... but that did the trick.

OP
OP
coops1995

coops1995

Yes mine looks like the one circled in red, I tried moving it but it doesn't seem to want to tighten without me taking off the rod for the lock. My interior door handle works fine which is what I have been using to open the doors. I guess I will have to play around inside the doors some more and see if I can adjust the length of those rods.

bigrednick

Hannah,

Since BronCowie was willing to climb in his door and take a picture, the rod in the red circle is connected to the outer door handle.
You need to pop the linkage clip off of the other end of rod and pull rod out of handle before you can remove handle.
It appears that the WH door handles comes with linkage clips, if not you will need to transfer the clip to the new handle.
And to get the full experience of owning an Early Bronco, save the old clips (& handles) so that your kids can figure out what to do with them, when they settle your estate.

View attachment 887981
Hey there! Similar issue here, was able to remove outer screws and the nut holding door handle in place but cannot remove what you have circled in red? Any tips or ideas on how to release it that way i can remove the door handle. Thanks in advance.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA

bigrednick

Thank you! Couldn’t really see the clip but after some messing around was able to pop off with a flat head.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sometimes they actually cooperate with a finger tip. But when you try that, you really have to watch out because some of them have really sharp edges and corners!
Especially the ones that want to fight you. So usually the screwdriver is the best approach.

bigrednick

Sometimes they actually cooperate with a finger tip. But when you try that, you really have to watch out because some of them have really sharp edges and corners!
Especially the ones that want to fight you. So usually the screwdriver is the best approach.
Yeah once I got it loose with a screwdriver it was easy to maneuver with my finger when testing out the latch. Appreciate the insight!