• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CVF Serpentine?

Jaybr

Contributor
"CVF" is too short for search, so posting new thread.

They are expensive but look really nice. They offer a complete kit with a short water pump, 1.5" shorter than normal kit. Wondering if anyone has used this and how it worked out. Not sure how much shorter an explorer pump is? I do have an explorer water pump cover and brackets that I was going to use but haven't sourced new water pump, alternator, or PS pump yet and would want to get the brackets and cover powdercoated.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very popular among mustang guys.

Short Front dress options

Explorer= Very Short, cheap easy

Vintage air= Very short, great looking, not cheap

CVF= Short, not my favorite look, not cheap.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven’t seen that one until now. It looks more well designed than most I’ve seen over the last many years.
It even offers you the choice of which side the lower radiator hose is on! That’s pretty slick.
Looks like you would keep your standard bronco timing cover and not use the explorer model.
And it looks to be tucked up tight enough to where they probably used the explorer as their guide and goal.
I think the explorer is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than a standard Bronco setup too, just like they are showing.

Even with all new stuff and powder coating however I don’t think you’d be into it for as much as you would spend for the new CVF product.
However, if bling is desirable, you certainly get that here!

I’m not sure about the double idlers adjacent to the water pump so that the belt can turn in the same direction, but it seems a clever solution to whatever issues they were having packaging it. More bearings to replace down the road, but if it works it works.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Not necessarily looking for bling but what started as a fix-it project is now leaning more toward show quality. All of the suspension, brakes, steering are all new. New crate motor, fuel tank, fuel and brake lines, and a new body on order. I guess I watch too much MotorTrend for my own good. Almost everything on the truck will be new so I hate to throw ugly parts on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Random thought here, Explorer replacement parts can be found anywhere. CVF looks like you would be tied to them for replacement parts, not found anywhere. Not telling you what to do at all, just understand that if you buy their product, looks like you are married to them.
Good luck with the decision.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a set of explorer FD that I vapor blasted and now are at a vibration polisher, I am hopeful it makes them look a little nicer. Then next would be full polish if I don't like the finish.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
I have a set of explorer FD that I vapor blasted and now are at a vibration polisher, I am hopeful it makes them look a little nicer. Then next would be full polish if I don't like the finish.
I'm interested how they turn out, please let us know. I thought about just having my explorer brackets powder coated and giving them a try.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Ordered the anodized black setup today, will update once I get installed.

Curious if this short water pump was a factory model at some point? I’m going to have to find a fan for it, preferably clutched.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Ordered the anodized black setup today, will update once I get installed.

Curious if this short water pump was a factory model at some point? I’m going to have to find a fan for it, preferably clutched.

[/URL]

Right in the middle of evaluating the CVF short SBF kit now. Good company with well thought out kits. As for the water pump it was not a stock option. As far as I can tell it's a modified Mustang pump, I could be wrong. I can say at this point if your main objective is clearance for a fan, electric or clutch driven the Explorer set up is still by far the best (most clearance.) I have not done final measurements but The Explorer is at least 1-1.5 shorter. The bling/wow factor is included with the CVF kit. I also think it's a good deal for all you are getting. Should WH be stocking these? :unsure:

Jim

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
If WH is going to stock them, it would be nice to identify a source for the water pump so that we are not held captive by CVF when pump starts leaking, on backside of the desert.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Would be great if Wildhorses stocked them. Along with the water pump like Oldtimer said, would also be great if you put together a package with fan, radiator, and hoses, all items I'm going to have to figure out. ;)

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
@WILDHORSES looks like your coyote radiator would work with the short water pump, which needs a driver side lower, can you confirm?

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
@WILDHORSES looks like your coyote radiator would work with the short water pump, which needs a driver side lower, can you confirm?
So let me start by making it clear I have not installed the full kit into a Bronco. I'm at the engine stand installing the kit stage. I have seen this kit in Broncos but never paid enough attention to the details to see how they went about the customization part of the install. That being said I can go over the basics:
Water pump inlet is on the drivers side. No biggie so is the Explorer front dress. 2 ways to deal with this. 1. Cross over tube. See link and pic. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Cross_Over_Tube_5L/Early_bronco_hoses Use the tube and cobble together some hoses and clamps to make it work. We use the stock lower Bronco hose to do this and cut as needed.

2. New radiator https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/19248/Bronco_Aluminum_Radiators Coyote type with swapped position for inlet/outlet. I need to say I can't 100% confirm this install but we should be testing this out pretty soon so I will post back what I find out.

Next what about a fan? I'm very partial to running an electric fan so that is the route I will be taking. I'm thinking someone here on classic or a number of people have already done this. What did you use? These have worked well for us https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/High_Output_Radiator_Fan_17in/Bronco_Cooling_Fans With the added clearance you could probably stick this version in. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Aluminum_Shrouded_Hi-Output_Radiator_Fan/Bronco_Cooling_Fans

I will post back some pics as we do more on this project.

Jim

Attachments

• 7691_2297_popup.jpg
    7691_2297_popup.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 4981.jpg
    4981.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 6317_3605_popup.jpg
    6317_3605_popup.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 11823_4803_popup.jpg
    11823_4803_popup.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
So let me start by making it clear I have not installed the full kit into a Bronco. I'm at the engine stand installing the kit stage. I have seen this kit in Broncos but never paid enough attention to the details to see how they went about the customization part of the install. That being said I can go over the basics:
Water pump inlet is on the drivers side. No biggie so is the Explorer front dress. 2 ways to deal with this. 1. Cross over tube. See link and pic. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Cross_Over_Tube_5L/Early_bronco_hoses Use the tube and cobble together some hoses and clamps to make it work. We use the stock lower Bronco hose to do this and cut as needed.

2. New radiator https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/19248/Bronco_Aluminum_Radiators Coyote type with swapped position for inlet/outlet. I need to say I can't 100% confirm this install but we should be testing this out pretty soon so I will post back what I find out.

Next what about a fan? I'm very partial to running an electric fan so that is the route I will be taking. I'm thinking someone here on classic or a number of people have already done this. What did you use? These have worked well for us https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/High_Output_Radiator_Fan_17in/Bronco_Cooling_Fans With the added clearance you could probably stick this version in. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Aluminum_Shrouded_Hi-Output_Radiator_Fan/Bronco_Cooling_Fans

I will post back some pics as we do more on this project.

Jim

Thanks! My kit will be here this weekend but I have plenty of time before I need a radiator or fan on my project, looking forward to your findings.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
CVF wraptor kit was my best option for my Clevor engine build with AC, PS, Alt.
If my C heads could mount the explorer front dress serpentine set then that's the route I would have gone due to availability of factory parts and it allows much easier access to service your part. (IE. waterpump can be removed by itself).
CVF does honor their warranty. CVF wraptor is also an 8 ribbed belt. GM type 2 PS pump. GM alt.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Got it installed today! Quality seems great, very well packaged, each part in its own labeled box with screws, etc. Instructions leave a little to be desired but got through it.

Looks like it’s about 1/2 longer than stock setup off the front of motor. Won’t know how much clearance that leaves me until I find a fan and radiator.

73bf343799602635aee354d010bd74cb.jpg

fcadcaaa31da44e5cdb96133b466d14f.jpg

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I'd be interested to know if the fittings on the power steering box clear the pulleys too.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
I'd be interested to know if the fittings on the power steering box clear the pulleys too.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Looks like plenty of clearance but I’ll install the box this week and report.

I don’t have the tranny in so the motor angle may shift a little when I get that done. It looks to be leaning back a bit now so the gap will close some if I pivot it forward