• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What axel do I have?

santana-911

Loc.
Mesilla, NM
Can anyone help me find out what kind of axle(s) I have on my 69 Bronco. I don't know how to identify each one, if they are Dana “what”? Sorry guys, I know this is a stupid question, but you are all my only options with true knowledge in the Bronco lingo. Do I match numbers stamped on the axel(s) or what? Thanks, What I have learned….owning a Bronco is worse than being addicted to crack….I can’t stop the itch! :eek:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Addictive - yes, but crack is less expensive.

Welcome!

Dana 30 front end was stock on Broncos until the Dana 44 appeared on them in 1971.

Someone could have changed it though, so look at the knuckles
and check this out...
http://www.broncohio.com/tech/dana30dana44.html

The bronco came stock on all years in the rear with the famous Ford 9 inch.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
you can tell by weather it has ball joints or king pins. ball joints would be a D44 king pins would be D30

NYLES

Bronco Guru
69 is a 30 with 3:50 or 4:11 could be posi mine is....that is if its stock

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cast into the web of the housing is a number. Often burried under grease oil and dirt. Should be 30 or 44. Although extreamly rare there are a few king pinned D44 from that time. If it is still stock it should be a Dana 30.

Gear ratio is 3.50 for the standard V8
4.10 optional for V8 or standard for I6
4.56 optional for the I6

ShortBus

This is really a handy thread. I have a 44 on my 71' w/ limited slip. How can I tell if it is supposed to have it or maybe someone swapped to the 44 from the 30? Also What gears does the 44 have naturally? (this is probably searchable, but what a pain)

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
This is really a handy thread. I have a 44 on my 71' w/ limited slip. How can I tell if it is supposed to have it or maybe someone swapped to the 44 from the 30? Also What gears does the 44 have naturally? (this is probably searchable, but what a pain)

Yes, search-able: http://www.broncohio.com/tech/tech.html

Your bronco could have come from the factory with a 44..as the change from the 30 to the 44 took place approximately mid year 71.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The BroncOhio site only has front axle codes for one year, and those are wrong. Look at the axle code on the VIN tag. The first two digits refer to the rear axle and if there's a third digit or alpha character it's for the front axle. Usually "Q" in the 3rd position indicates limited slip front but I have also heard of "J" being used in the earlier years. When power steering became available in 73 "J" was used to indicate this. This attachment shows the rear axle codes:

Attachments

• 66-73 Vin.gif
    66-73 Vin.gif
    59.1 KB · Views: 28

ShortBus

Thanks guys! That helps.. It will be stuffed with an arb real soon.