• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas tank vent question - assist please!

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I have a 74 with stock rear tank only. The two return lines on the side have been looped together. The vent line that runs beside the main filler hose is intact. From the beginning the tank has been slow to fill. More recently it will hardly take any gas before it backflows. I figured the vent was plugged by rust or something, so took off the line to see if I could root it out. When I pull the line off, the gas will trickle out indefinitely in a small steady stream, until the tank is empty. In other words it is obviously not plugged, but instead seems like it is at the bottom of the tank and an is acting like a siphon when it is unplugged. In this situation, it seem slike the vent line will always have gas in it, that will not allow the air to escape, and thereby result in my inability to fill the tank. I notice if I unplug the other lines, the air rushes out and the tank fills fine. Does anyone know how this line system is engineered, and how I can clear it up? Is there a schematic diagram of the tank and lines in the shop manual?

Thanks

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
check vent line going up side of fill pipe .this part might pluged?on single tank versions a return line goes to carb.havent run into one of these but thats what the ford book says.calif. cars had evap sys,

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here are the drawings for 1974, not much detail though.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 37