• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anone ever rebuild their rear liftgate handle?

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
My chrome handle on the liftgate has seen better days. I got a new one and am not really impressed. I started taking the original apart. The square bar that turns the cam is scrapped. I assume that the pin that hold the compressed spring also holds the square bar in also. The pin was froze and I could not press it out, had to grind and redrill. My ? is how the lock is removed ? I want to rechrome this thing as I have the original keys and want it to all stay keyed the same. Is this something best left to a Locksmith? ..Mo

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Come on not one person has done this rebuild? So I take it that the lift handle/lock is a disposable item then? Can't change the tumbler then either right? Gotta be someone who's had the same issue?....Mo

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I'll give this a shot. Rebuilding the stock handle hinges on if you can still buy the tumbler set from ford. Remove the escheon from the handle. You'll see there's two pins that lock into the escheon to make the lock work and there should be a pin the drives out that holds the tumbler set in,remove that pin. If the cylinder comes out you'll golden if not yours is like mine then.

What we did on mine was chuck the handle into the lathe with the handle swinging around. Using a drill bit that was small than the tumbler, drill out not to go to far, I'am guesting that the heat from drilling allowed the tumbler to unseize, then it could be picked out. The handle is a pot metal and the the two want to corrode together.

With the cylinder out the two pins that cam out and lock into the escheon were able to be freed and the new tumbler was installed. A few weeks later a NOS handle came up on EBAY, that I scored for $30.

The push-pull rods that go from the handle to the latches are made new by Jeff's,mine needs new ones. The removal of those rods from the laches is another fun deal.

jbickhart

Loc.
Montrose CO
I just rebuilt mine this weekend. I replaced the stock rods with threaded rod. I welded the last two inches of the stock rod on the outer ends of the threaded rod and made some threaded bushings to connect the threaded rod to the stock handle.

I replaced the roll pins in the latches with threaded rod (10-32 long set screws) to avoid the fun of pulling / pushing them in / out.

A lot of work for a liftgate, but last weekend it popped open on a rough, long, muddy uphill climb and the latches smashed up my hardtop. Now I get a lot more engagement of the latches and it's rock solid. With an adjustable rubber stop, no more squeaks or rattles.

It took me 3-4 hours..... your girlfriend / wife will not understand.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Redhot the cylinder will turn and the pins do lock. The pin that went thru the handle and pin in the square bar was fused and could not be pressed out. Do I understand correctly drill thru and maybe the bar will come out?...Mo

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Let me dig thur my stuff I think I still have the old handle and with that I should be able remember. One thing I do remember is around that square stock there was a square bushing that sliped over it and it slipped inside the cross shapped deal that worked the push-pull robs.

The reason I drilled out the cylinder was it was seized, and Ford still sold replacements.

I will say this, there is a pin that goes thur the square stock and when thats removed the eschoen and a spring removes,under the eschoen there's another pin that removes the cylinder and its hard to see(it was in the chromed handle area).

The square stock is part of the handle.

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
My chrome handle on the liftgate has seen better days. I got a new one and am not really impressed. I started taking the original apart. The square bar that turns the cam is scrapped. I assume that the pin that hold the compressed spring also holds the square bar in also. The pin was froze and I could not press it out, had to grind and redrill. My ? is how the lock is removed ? I want to rechrome this thing as I have the original keys and want it to all stay keyed the same. Is this something best left to a Locksmith? ..Mo

I bought on of these handles from Tom's, and I was not impressed either. I want to do the same thing you are doing. I've got one 76 that's all original, and do not want to swap out the handle or the key for that matter. My other 76 is a recent acquisition, and I do not have a key for it, but do not really want to put a cheap handle on it.

Its on my list, but not a priority now, as I'm planning to take the top off for the summer. Probably Fall. Keep us in the loop with p[ictures as you proceed.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
so the square stock is non removable cause that is all worn and won't turn the cam...Mo

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
OK took it apart. I was able to save the pin and the tumbler came right out. So all I have to do is find a good donor with a nice square pin that's not worn and transplant my innards after rechroming. I still think the square bar is removable. Everything else looks cast but the bar looks to perfect to be cast. I am going to go to the shop and drill the pin out, heat it a bit and see if it doesn't come out...Mo

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Something like this?

Attachments

• PC040208.jpg
    PC040208.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 52
  • PC040215.jpg
    PC040215.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 51
  • PC040214.jpg
    PC040214.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 52
  • PC040213.jpg
    PC040213.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 53
  • PC040212.jpg
    PC040212.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 50
  • PC040211.jpg
    PC040211.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 54
  • PC040210.jpg
    PC040210.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 52
  • PC040209.jpg
    PC040209.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 53

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like I was missing a wafer

Attachments

• PC040224.jpg
    PC040224.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 34
  • PC040223.jpg
    PC040223.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 85
  • PC040222.jpg
    PC040222.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 28
  • PC040221.jpg
    PC040221.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 28
  • PC040219.jpg
    PC040219.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PC040218.jpg
    PC040218.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 29
  • PC040217.jpg
    PC040217.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 29
  • PC040216.jpg
    PC040216.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And the last couple

Took it apart a long time ago, took pictures, forgot most of the details since then. But I still have the pictures.

Good luck

Attachments

• PC040228.jpg
    PC040228.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27
  • PC040232.jpg
    PC040232.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
My pin holding the spring was fused so I drilled it. So as far as you can tell the square bar is cast in huh? If so I need a good donor handle as my bar is FUBAR:cry:...Mo

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Many years ago I replace the handle with a T-handle garage door handle. The mounting hole spacing and square drive was exactly the same as the Ford part. Cost something like $7 at the hardware store. All I had to do was shorten the square drive as it was about 6" long. Didn't use a ford key, but was a simple cheap handle and lock.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Took a look at the Jeep T handles and they have the long bar too, they look better than the EB ones being sold. Wondering if I could drill out the bar and get new stock with a round thread end to go into the tapped handle?

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Replaced mine years ago with a garage door handle. worked fine with a little mod. They have a key number stamped and you can get the same key if you have several bronco's, plus used the same on a shell on my truck.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I just fixed the square bar on the latch on the new/old hardtop that I got.
It was spinning in the receiver, all rounded. The PO attempted to fix it buy shimming the gap with a piece a strapping metal. Didn't work. I just built up the square shaft by filling tack welds and then grinding it down to fit. Works solid now but I want to change the lock thimble.
Do I need to have the key to get it out?