• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLD 1971 Rock Crawler

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
I'm listing my 1971 Ford Bronco Rock Crawler for sale. To my friends, no worries, I still have the Blue Bronco and want to spend some more time with that.

This is a pretty much rust free truck! Can't say the same about dents in the body panels from numerous slides against the tress here on the East Coast. This truck is solidly built for Rock Crawling here on the East Coast and I have run it on trails at Tellico, Paragon, Rausch Creek and even made it out to the Hammers in Ca a couple years ago for the KOH race to pit for a friend. That was a blast, we got to run the truck across the desert pretty fast and the truck handled it well except for the blown Rancho shock and lost the tire carrier in the whoops! ;D 37 inch tire puts alot of stress on a tire carrier.

I have had this truck since 2002 and I got it as a basket case, brought it home in boxes and coffee cans, 2 bolts held it down to the frame. I have replaced bushings, gaskets and any part that looked like it might fail. I have only had a couple break downs with this truck over the years on the trail and usually have no issues while wheeling. The truck is pretty much a point and shoot truck, it goes pretty much where you point it! :cool:

It is a 1971 with a stock 302, I have replaced the valve seals a few years ago due to smoke in the exhaust, replaced the water pump just because and it still has a stock 2 barrel carburetor but that runs extremely well off camber so I just leave it alone. Replaced the points with a Pertronix electronic Ignition unit and works flawlessly. Truck starts up every time even after letting it sit for months. Put a 3G alternator on there a few years back. Oil Pressure is good, I have a Oil Pressure Guage mounted on the roll cage bar along with a Water Temp gauge, Voltage Gauge and Fuel Gauge. These are all digital gauges that give XX type readings. Speedo still works but switched over to the digital guages. Fuel tank is an aluminum 8 gal unit with a electric fuel pump on the frame rail. There is a fuel shut off switch installed on the dash. Electrical system has been just replaced with a new Centech harness, ignition switch, brake switch, emergency flasher switch and such.

Has a newer radiator and no cooling issues. Just replaced the heater core and hoses along with the heater tube that comes out of the manifold as it was rusted out and leaked.

Replaced the frame when I first started working on the truck, no visible VIN on the replacement frame, Frame was stripped down by hand and treated with Eastwood rust encapsulator and painted over.

Replaced the stock transmission with a NP435 and rebuilt the transfer case with a Terra Low gear kit combined with 4.56 gears makes this truck crawl great. Clutch was replaced a few years ago. Setup for Twin Sticks, does a nice front dig!

Front axle is a Dana 44 with Detroit locker, Yukon alloy axle shafts and Yukon Super Joints. Warn Premium Locking Hubs. Cage Off Road long arms. Tom Woods custom drive shaft. PSC Steering pump with reservoir and cooler for the Ram assist steering

Rear Axle is a Big Bearing Ford 9" with full spool, 31 spline Yukon alloy axles and a Duffs 4 Link suspension. Tom Woods custom drive shaft.

Truck has James Duff power brake kit, Disc up front and Drums to the rear. Power steering with a rebuilt stock box ported for a Redneck Ram assist steering which is installed on the front axle.

I have 5 Maxxis Creepy Crawler 37" x 12.5 -15 tires on Basic Beadlock rims. Tires are still in very good shape with lots of tread left.

Home made Front Prerunner Bumper with Light tabs and winch plate. Truck comes with Milemarker winch and 100ft of synthetic rope. Has a winch controller in the cab of the truck prewired so no looking for the hand held unit although I have that too.

Rear bumper is home made basic prerunner style.

Interior is pretty basic, Full six point roll cage, tied into the frame at the four front points. Corbeau extra wide seats that are tied into the roll cage and feature adjustable mounting points on the roll cage. 4 point shoulder harness on both seats. Stock rear seat with seat belts. There is a place for a CB radio to be mounted above the front seats on the roll cage. Also features an interior light. Windshield wipers work. Good front glass.

Has BC Broncos Q Panel protectors on it and they have held up very well along with a set of 1/4" thick rocker panel protectors.

All in all this is a solid truck and you can take it right out and go rock crawling today with no issues. I have the title and glove box door.

Take a look, let me know, feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

• DSC00752.JPG
    DSC00752.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC00753.JPG
    DSC00753.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 711
  • DSC00754.JPG
    DSC00754.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 671
  • DSC00756.JPG
    DSC00756.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 583
  • DSC00757.JPG
    DSC00757.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC00761.JPG
    DSC00761.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 594
  • DSC00762.JPG
    DSC00762.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC00764.JPG
    DSC00764.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC00166.JPG
    DSC00166.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC00751.JPG
    DSC00751.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 460
  • 1653658_734058559976611_6545736136283954674_n.jpg
    1653658_734058559976611_6545736136283954674_n.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Bump for yah Chris!
I have seen this truck in action any a bunch of events on the east coast and it is bad ass. Like he said if you want a turn key rock crawler/trail truck this is the one!

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
Here is a bump - this is a great Bronco and shocked it isn't gone. I love the Duff Monster front and 4-link rear-end. Would love to know how well this Duff system does on the way to the trail. I would wish ya luck but that is a great Bronco and don't need luck :)

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Bump back to the top. Did some work on it and cleaned up some stuff.

Replaced the electrical system with a Centech wiring harness.

Replaced the NP435 shifter collar as it was missing one ear and loose.

Repainted the dash.

Replaced the manifold heater hose outlet.

New brake switch, new turn signal switch.

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Am I really asking too much or is it the body damage that is turning people off?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Just opinion, so take it for what it's worth, probably nothing. Crawler guy crowd will probably want to build their own.............. buyers who've never owned a bronco most likely won't start with a crawler..........and that same crowd will not want to spend $11k on a "smashed, new to them" bronco.
Is it capable and worth the $$, yes IMO, but.............I just think what you have for sale is only going to appeal to a very small part of the EB crowd looking to buy.

702bronco

Loc.
las vegas
Just opinion, so take it for what it's worth, probably nothing. Crawler guy crowd will probably want to build their own.............. buyers who've never owned a bronco most likely won't start with a crawler..........and that same crowd will not want to spend $11k on a "smashed, new to them" bronco.
Is it capable and worth the $$, yes IMO, but.............I just think what you have for sale is only going to appeal to a very small part of the EB crowd looking to buy.

I agree... ebay is full of yahoos willing to spend high $$ on ugly broncos w/ white seats, who don't know the difference between a D30 & a D44.
at least yours has fenders... my rock crawler bronco hasn't seen those in years. full bodied mashed up crawlers don't have much resale nowadays. buggies have taken over.
IMO, sell the crawler parts, put stock axles back in it, fix the body & paint it. that will net you more $ in this market.
i'd buy it, but have 2 crawlers already :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.