• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Camber Caster sleeves

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
Hi everyone, I purchased a pair of SPC camber caster sleeves part number 23012. They are 1.5* sleeves that I want full caster. I have the slot towards the rear what would appear to be full 1.5* caster. How do I know I have the sleeves at 100% at full caster?

Attachments

• IMG_20210809_170728159.jpg
    IMG_20210809_170728159.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 123

TheLimeRanger

I pulled this off of Spc's website

Attachments

• 0AB766D5-9EFC-41E7-B334-30659258B69A.jpg
    0AB766D5-9EFC-41E7-B334-30659258B69A.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 127

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also from SPC's website. Yup, slots toward the rear would be full caster.

Attachments

• 23012.jpg
    23012.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
F

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
Thanks for the templates, but I'm talking about what is there to index off of on the knuckle? In the picture above I put the split at the rear of the knuckle by eyeballing what I think is the rear of the knuckle. Maybe that's all I can do. I am going to get another alignment and see what has changed. It would be great if I would be able to turn the sleeve while on the alignment machine. I found that I have to have the ball joint loose to turn the sleeve.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1.5 is not truly enough, if you are like most, starting a 1 degree, you need 4-5 degrees total....

OP
OP
F

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
1.5 is not truly enough, if you are like most, starting a 1 degree, you need 4-5 degrees total....
I'm at 1* now. This is on a stock suspension that I replaced the rear springs on 15 years ago. I added the 1.5* sleeves and I'm going to level the rake by removing the load spring. It is very high height compared to the front. I'm hoping to get to 4* caster.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The really old school way they use to bend the beam. Your next step would be to get 4 degree c-bushings unless you going to lift the thing.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4 or 8 degree bushing sends the front driveline angle completely in the wrong direction though...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have run 4 degree bushings since 1978 I have 2.5 Inch lift and still running the factory driveshaft. good enough to get by all these years. the job is only intimidating because you haven't done it before. But you have to have Tall jack stands and jacks that can lift high enough. guys with a shop can do it quickly maybe a couple of hours if they have done it before. but you have to mark the c bushings so they put them right side up so there are no mistakes in assembly. many shops get them in wrong because they don't know better.
first job I did was change the bushings when I was 18 as the rubber ones spit out on their own.

EB70

I would opt for some bushings. I was playing with the idea of doing those sleeves. Even bought them. Once I started really looking at things I knew I had to do more....lots more.

I would say a couple hours for a shop max. or a casual Sunday at home and do it yourself. I have switched springs enough that I've got it down to a science for me at least.

You can do it man! Just get those 2 or 4 degree bushings and get it done.

OP
OP
F

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
So I finally got my alignment specs after installing the 1.5* camber caster sleeves. Probably pretty much a waste of time and money. I am going to tackle changing my c bushings to 4* in the near future.
I also got to believe something will have to be done with my steering box. Currently have a 6 turn rebuilt box from West Texas. I would like them to possibly convert to a 4 turn. I am not sure if they can do something to make the steering harder to turn.

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_101045154.jpg
    IMG_20210929_101045154.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 60

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep he math was there before you installed the sleeves, you original 1 degree plus 1.5 degrees sleeves were not going to get you there...

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
So I finally got my alignment specs after installing the 1.5* camber caster sleeves. Probably pretty much a waste of time and money.

Not necessarily. You can clean up some of the lousy camber numbers using the adjustable sleeves.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Not necessarily. You can clean up some of the lousy camber numbers using the adjustable sleeves.

Exactly - these sleeves shouldn't really have caster in their title. They're really only good for camber on our rigs and that's about all I've ever heard of anyone using them for. Most of us are looking for "big" caster number changes and these don't give them.

Todd Z.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Exactly - these sleeves shouldn't really have caster in their title. They're really only good for camber on our rigs and that's about all I've ever heard of anyone using them for. Most of us are looking for "big" caster number changes and these don't give them.

Todd Z.

Agreed. You can't get there from here. I use those to level my hub when in the straight ahead position. They are good at fixing a tire leaning in or out. To fix pinion angle and caster you need to cut and rotate baby .