• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Hot Ginger Poly

OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also on painting the "FORD" letters on the tailgate and the grill, Ford originally used a rubber roller or "Brayer" to simply roll the Wimbledon White or Red on the tailgates and the black on the grill. In this process, only the high points of the letters got paint. You taped the bottom of the letter so the letter looks much more bold than it originally was, which may be the look you are wanting.. (I guess you are practicing, which is what doctors and lawyers do!), but I like the original look of just the 'face of the letter' being painted and not the 'edge'. It's also much more easily masked than masking the bottom edge which is an additional bonus!
That was a question I had while sitting there messing around with it. I'm hoping that I'm not the one spraying this thing when it eventually gets painted because it is definitely not my favorite thing to do. But you are correct, this is all just a bit of practicing and testing the paint colors that we had.

I was actually hoping to come across a vinyl reflective FORD lettering that I could just stick on there but I haven't found that yet... Either way, the entire tail gate will get striped down and re prepped prior to the actual final paint goes on.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A friend of mine gave me a set of the letters a while back. But he painted his bronco first so I gave them back to him for the project. I guess I better start looking again!

They were in a 3M bag though with a what looked like a 3M part number. I’ll have to see if I took pictures.
In the meantime, weren’t there forum members who were doing something like that on their own? Like the ranger stripes maybe they’ve got access to the lettering too.

amfw

Looking for Pictures and difference in the Ginger Colored Broncos. What I'm finding is there are many different colors labled Ginger. I'm lookin for more of an orange ginger, not a red or brown ginger.

I think the color I'm looking for is from a 73 - 75, but they all look a little different.

If you have a Bronco with the Ford Hot Ginger Poly paint, please post a pic with the year of the paint code. My Bronco is a 74 and I'm not doing a restore, but he better half seems to like the color. I'm looking to get a couple touch up spray cans to cover some internal areas prior to spraying in the bedliner. The outside will be done by a professional later.

Attached is the image of the color I'm looking for. It is not my bronco, but it is the color I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance.
Im kind of in the same boat. I have a 74 that jas lots of areas that need touch up. I love my color but dont think im on original paint, and have no idea what it was sprayed with. Just ordered my first test can yesterday, so I can get spraying and see if we get a match.
65a9097a8c6d2750d6e72b03aa422f0c.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
A friend of mine gave me a set of the letters a while back. But he painted his bronco first so I gave them back to him for the project. I guess I better start looking again!

They were in a 3M bag though with a what looked like a 3M part number. I’ll have to see if I took pictures.
In the meantime, weren’t there forum members who were doing something like that on their own? Like the ranger stripes maybe they’ve got access to the lettering too.
Yes Paul your correct there is a member here ..Here's his link not sure if he's still doing them .

amfw

Sprayed this old windshield wiper motor cover this morning with the following product

Images are of the piece next to the existing paint on my Bronco
f6c05e3a62768ed3709dd4be9b9c9c74.jpg
3c37d27c4f58d49c349496f0a8c5dd51.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That was a question I had while sitting there messing around with it. I'm hoping that I'm not the one spraying this thing when it eventually gets painted because it is definitely not my favorite thing to do. But you are correct, this is all just a bit of practicing and testing the paint colors that we had.

I was actually hoping to come across a vinyl reflective FORD lettering that I could just stick on there but I haven't found that yet... Either way, the entire tail gate will get striped down and re prepped prior to the actual final paint goes on.

still no go on just that right color huh.. :(

jray

Didn't the Sport package get the Argent grill also?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, pretty sure they did. With perhaps some exceptions like the Special Decor, if they were also available in Sport trim?
Unless it was only Explorer trim with the Sport? Rangers got Argent too, but they weren't Sports. But I thought Sports all had the silver grilles.

Paul

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking for Pictures and difference in the Ginger Colored Broncos. What I'm finding is there are many different colors labled Ginger. I'm lookin for more of an orange ginger, not a red or brown ginger.

I think the color I'm looking for is from a 73 - 75, but they all look a little different.

If you have a Bronco with the Ford Hot Ginger Poly paint, please post a pic with the year of the paint code. My Bronco is a 74 and I'm not doing a restore, but he better half seems to like the color. I'm looking to get a couple touch up spray cans to cover some internal areas prior to spraying in the bedliner. The outside will be done by a professional later.

Attached is the image of the color I'm looking for. It is not my bronco, but it is the color I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance.
I remember looking at that bronco build on Big Sky Bronco's website. Below is a link to the build. For paint it lists: Ford Hot Ginger Poly, Dupont/Nason Base coat/clear coat Acrylic Urethane. Ford Performance White.

Steve Wisler is really good at replying to emails so he prob can give you more info, if needed.
http://www.bigskybroncos.com/RestorationsPg4.html

Last edited:

R0kcrwlr

Thank you in advance.
Did you ever find your color?