• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer Case/Transmission Removal - 1970 Bronco

rif

I'm trying to replace my clutch and need to remove the transmission (Ford 3 Speed) and Transfer Case (Dana 20) as one unit. I can't seem to figure out how to get my T shift post on the transfer case off so I can slip the unit back. The post sticks up through the floor and is held on with a long bolt through the transfer case casting. I can't slip the bolt out because the tunnel is blocking it. The only thing I can come up with is to cut a small hole in the side of the tunnel that will allow the bolt to slip out. I need so sage advice please.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
1. Take out the engine.
2. lower the transfer case / transmission as a unit with stick attached.
3. Reverse the transfer case shiffter pivot bolt so that the nut is on the left side.
4. Reinstall in any order you want.

My guess is that someone put the bolt in backwards. Now you are kinda stuck. Yes, you can drill a hole inthe floorpan, and make a cover plate. Kinda Like this. Someday I'll weld in back flush. But for now, it works OK.

Attachments

• 191.JPG
    191.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 25

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unbolt the transfer case crossmember and lower the rear of the entire assembly (engine, transmission, and transfer case). It should come down far enough for you to reach in the area between the case and the floor so you can get the nut off the bolt and pull it out.

OP
OP
R

rif

Some of Henry's boys must have put the bolt in the wrong direction to start with. I bought the vehicle new in 1970 and neither the transmission or transfer case have never been worked on. I drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole in the left side of the tunnel and the bolt and washer came right through the hole, allowing me to remove the post. Thanks for the help.