• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much should I pay for clutch replacement?

toro

According to mechanic, my 66 Bronco’s clutch needs replacing. What is a fair price range for this job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can’t see where you live from my phone, but it could vary greatly by region. And the type of shop doing the work.
Around here I would expect to pay at least $600-$800 I think. Depending on which parts you get of course.

Nothing wrong with stock replacements, but most will use the opportunity to upgrade with more expensive parts. Changing the price from that angle.

Then there is always the very real chance that when they dig into your 66, they will find out that either it’s got unique to 66 parts, or it’s been updated in the past already with nonstock parts. Adding to the time involved and getting the job done and out of their shop.
Not to mention potentially rusty fasteners, and gunked up parts.

Is it a six cylinder or V-8?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a lot of assuming at this point. Is it stock? I6 or V8? Even little things like an aftermarket exhaust can make getting the transmission out a lot more labor. don't forget little things like the clutch linkage bushings that are probably toast. Driveshafts that need servicing that you didn't know were going out, etc. I would be ballparking about a grand. More if you are in a high labor/rent area of the country.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
lets see new clutch, new pressure plate, resurface flywheel or replace, new throw out bearing and pilot bushing. r&r 10 hours and cleaning consumables your really over a grand closer to 1200 to 1500 if you have someone willing to deal with it.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Our labor rate 176 an hour.. I,d start at 6-7 hours *parts and as mentioned any unforeseen things that develop can add to that..

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I charge my friends one case of beer, (plus parts)...to put a clutch in a Bronco. But I'm not cleaning any parts, and I'm not fixing it for free if your parts are no good. That's right. If I have to do it twice...I get another case of beer.

I need fewer friends.

661buster1963

Maybe check for a YouTube or other video, has to be one. It’s not terribly hard. Take drive shaft out. Drop tans mount, pit a good trans jack under there. Disconnect trans linkage, pull bell housing bolts. Pull that 140 ish pounds back and down. Probably nobody knew how to do it till they did it. 50 year cars mean you need a pile of money to pay maintenance or a pile (even a small
Pile of wrench talent) and go for it. Do it yourself and even if exhaust is in the way you could replace it when you do the clutch and probably still not spend more than 700. Cleaning greasy parts in kerosene is therapeutic . It’s not a new car with no room to do anything. Rusty bolts yes, but you can almost always get a wrench on them. Get a can of catalyze bolt cleaner and go for it. Get in a bind then post a pic and someone will chime in on what to do.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s kind of an off subject (ridiculous) remark there Mark.
We don’t really know anything about toro yet other than that they’ve got a 66 bronco and a mechanic has looked at it.
Not how long they’ve owned it or how much they paid for it. Or that they don’t already own multiple modern vehicles. So to up and tell somebody they should get a different vehicle simply because you assume they don’t know how to work on it, is patently ridiculous.
What if they don’t? What has that ever had to do with what type of vehicle you own?

And by now we should’ve all figured out that not all owners of recently purchased Broncos are the diy mechanical expert type anymore either.
Not all buy them because they want a project or that Broncos are simple to work on. They buy them because they’re cool and to afford cool sometimes they spend most of their time earning a good bit of money to pay for the privilege instead of sitting around in their garage all day getting greasy.
And as we’ve seen over and over again, many don’t realize they’re buying a project in the first place. Remember, the ad says “rust free“ and “runs perfectly“ and “needs nothing“ until it shows up.
How often do you really think somebody spends $50,000 to $100,000 on a 50 year old vehicle so that they can personally work on it?
And if not, they shouldn’t own it?

Maybe it was recently inherited from a mountain home owning relative and heading to it’s new home in Manhattan where the parking rules say no working on cars?

I know, I know. You think I only care what goes on as long as they buy parts from us that they don’t really need.
That’s fine…

So toro, sorry for the little side show here. But at least you’ve got a lot of information to work with now.

Last edited:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I having changed the clutch on my Bronco I will tell you I would rather pull the engine then drop the tranny any day. As mentioned, be prepared for extras, including the tranny mount bushings. Now is the time even if you pull the engine.

BPerry

We don’t really know anything about toro yet other than that they’ve got a 66 bronco and a mechanic has looked at it.
Not how long they’ve owned it or how much they paid for it. Or that they don’t already own multiple modern vehicles. So to up and tell somebody they should get a different vehicle simply because you assume they don’t know how to work on it, is patently ridiculous.
What if they don’t? What has that ever had to do with what type of vehicle you own?

And by now we should’ve all figured out that not all owners of recently purchased Broncos are the diy mechanical expert type anymore either.
Not all buy them because they want a project or that Broncos are simple to work on. They buy them because they’re cool and to afford cool sometimes they spend most of their time earning a good bit of money to pay for the privilege instead of sitting around in their garage all day getting greasy.
And as we’ve seen over and over again, many don’t realize they’re buying a project in the first place. Remember, the ad says “rust free“ and “runs perfectly“ and “needs nothing“ until it shows up.
How often do you really think somebody spends $50,000 to $100,000 on a 50 year old vehicle so that they can personally work on it?

Maybe it was recently inherited from a mountain home owning relative and heading to it’s new home in Manhattan where the parking rules say no working on cars?

I know, I know. You think I only care what goes on as long as they buy parts from us that they don’t really need.
That’s fine…

So toro, sorry for the little side show here. But at least you’ve got a lot of information to work with now.
Nothing but respect for you Paul!

I am by no means a mechanic or fabricator, my father never taught me those things.. I can turn a wrench, don't mind getting my hands dirty, and can do most things; just never learned how to tear apart a trany or engine. He did although teach me respect, give more than you take, the value of hard work, and love of family "blood or not".

I've wanted a Bronco since I was 12, three brothers and their father all had EB's that lived/live just down the road in nowhere Arkansas. Now at 43 all the things my father did teach me have given me the opportunity to do what I want. Hence the purchase of my 73'.

Far as being a salesman, I buy parts from all over and not one person on here has tried to steer me to one vendor or another because they work or are associated with them!

So Toro, keep plugging away brother or sister! There's a slu of good folks on here willing to take time out of their live to help us "non general maintenance" people out!

And I tip my hat to them!

BP

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

That’s fine…

Sorry If I've offended any of the owners that pay to get their work done. It's just that I use this site to get "how to" info, rather than how much did it cost.
There seem to be more "shop builds" than ever these days. I find it disappointing to see a cool car and ask how they accomplished something, and the only answer is "I dunno...I had it done."
I guess the best explanation is that we run in different circles.

BPerry

Sorry If I've offended any of the owners that pay to get their work done. It's just that I use this site to get "how to" info, rather than how much did it cost.
There seem to be more "shop builds" than ever these days. I find it disappointing to see a cool car and ask how they accomplished something, and the only answer is "I dunno...I had it done."
I guess the best explanation is that we run in different circles.
No worries bubba! Everyone has their own thing! My hats off to ya if you can do it all yourself!!

I do have to ask, did you build your home from the dirt up? When your computer, cell phone, flat screen TV goes haywire; do you break out the tool kit, soldering iron, and volt meter?
Ever asked anybody how much did that cost you?

Sincerely with no disrespect!

BP

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why yes, I have opened up and fixed my computer, phone, flat screen, GPS, iPod, and many more.

Even designed a circuit board and sent it out for production. Put my name in the copper, not the mask.

Did not build the house, but have done most of the work piece meal at one time or another. From foundation to roofing. Was my own general for a pool project.

Learned most of it by just trying to understand how it should work. Once you understand how it works, working on it, even something new, generally isn't that big of a deal.

BPerry

Why yes, I have opened up and fixed my computer, phone, flat screen, GPS, iPod, and many more.

Even designed a circuit board and sent it out for production. Put my name in the copper, not the mask.

Did not build the house, but have done most of the work piece meal at one time or another. From foundation to roofing. Was my own general for a pool project.

Learned most of it by just trying to understand how it should work. Once you understand how it works, working on it, even something new, generally isn't that big of a deal.
😃 Your the exception to the rule BBW!! I read a lot of your stuff on here and your definitely smarter than the average bear!!

Hell, my brother in law builds drag cars from the bottom up! Yes, he helps me alot!! But, I never ask for him to do it for me. It's let me do it and give me instruction along the way so I don't jack it up.... and I try to educate myself, by asking questions on here so I don't solely depend on him.

That being said, not everyone has a brother in law with that knowledge handy!!

BP

jhill52

I just had the clutch replaced on my 71 with a 302 3 spd. New Luk clutch kit from Advance Auto included pilot bearing. throwout bearing disc and cover plate about $150 retail found a coupon for $40.00 off so about $110. New flywheel from Jegs about $140 with free shipping. Found a local independent mechanicwho did it in 6 hrs. I am in a cheap labor area. $50.00/ hr cash Hardest part was finding someone to do it . Everyone was backed up at least 4 wks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I teach as well. Just today I was at Rudy's and there was a kid who had never had to deal with a pop top before. I showed them how to catch the lid on the lip of the bottle opener, push down, and the lid comes off and lands in the bucket. They might be able to do it on there own next time.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I really don't recognize this hobby anymore. It's a way different generation. It's all done with "kits" and even then, with a shop doing the work. If you're really a "trail guy" I'd think you'd want to know how to fix it.

jhill52

I hired the job done because I donot have the equipment and atn70 yrs I cannot crawl around on the floor anymore. Otherwise I do everything else myself. A man has to know his limitations.

BPerry

I teach as well. Just today I was at Rudy's and there was a kid who had never had to deal with a pop top before. I showed them how to catch the lid on the lip of the bottle opener, push down, and the lid comes off and lands in the bucket. They might be able to do it on there own next time.
My kids loved that place!! That's the one with the dancing rat, video games, and skee ball right!? 😁