• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone successfully re-commissioned old CA license plates?

tommyg

Contributor
It's always bugged me a bit that my CA Bronco has non-period correct white plates. I was at the Good Guys car show yesterday and came across a pair of CA blue plates in very good shape. The guy said I can easily have them re-commissioned through the DMV. Didn't totally believe him, but for $60 i figured it was worth the gamble. Checked the DMV site, and the only form I came across doesn't seem to fully address the question --- basically it seems to say that you can request to re-commission old plates that were assigned to the car previously: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...-of-old-license-plates-to-collector-vehicles/

Going to give it a shot anyway, but interested to hear if anyone has previously done this successfully.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I understand it, you have to have a set of plates there were on the vehicle (not a vehicle, but your exact vehicle) at some time in the past.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Assuming someone answers the phone, you can find out with a quick call to the DMV. From what I recall, in CA, there was something about meeting certain conditions to attach old plates to 'collector' cars, so that may be the best route.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
If the plates are clear in dmv (not stolen and not registered to another car current or not) you can use them on your bronco as long as the plates are from the same year. CA DMV calls it the Year of Manufacture or YOM program. There is a form you fill out to use the plates. You have to have the correct YOM sticker for the plate also. Where the month sticker normally goes you need one with the year of your bronco. I bought one on eBay for my 1973. Hardest part is finding out if the plates registered or not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m not surprised that they would add the stipulation that it be from the same year. But to me that doesn’t make any sense (typical) because many vehicles that are currently registered don’t have YOM plates. My 68 included.
My 68 originally came with black plates, but now has blue plates from approximately 1971 judging by the sequence.

So it was changed a few years after it was purchased, and the normal run of things. A different situation and circumstances obviously, but it just goes to point out another inconsistency.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
It's always been my understanding that you can bring the old black and gold plates back for a passenger vehicle, but not the old blue and gold ones.

Doing some research, it seems you can bring back the blue and gold on a commercial vehicle only. So, unless you want to pay commercial registration fees on your EB, you can't use the blue plates.

Your results may differ.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
It's always been my understanding that you can bring the old black and gold plates back for a passenger vehicle, but not the old blue and gold ones.

Doing some research, it seems you can bring back the blue and gold on a commercial vehicle only. So, unless you want to pay commercial registration fees on your EB, you can't use the blue plates.

Your results may differ.

[/URL][/URL

Your results may differ.

[/URL]
The YOM application form says for 1970-1974 commercial vehicles a blue plate with 6 yellow characters is required. It doesn’t require paying commercial registration. I was able to do it with a 1973 and it was fairly simple compared to most things at DMV. Take plates and color photos of plates to dmv with the sticker and completed application along with the old plates. They mail a new pink slip and registration and reg sticker. They do charge a fee and an extra few bucks every year for using the YOM plates. But it’s not much.

1970 Palmer

I have done California YOM plates on many different vehicles. My advice is DON'T GO TO THE DMV. Every employee at the DMV has a different understanding on what qualifies for the Year of Manufacture license plate program. Your trip usually turns into a complete cluster..........

For the past 20 years I have used a local California Authorized Privet DMV Service. These are sometimes called Vin Verifier's. I just drop off my special plates, she knows all of the DMV special plate rules, has all of the forms, knows what needs to be signed, charges me $35 for her processing fee, I pay the actual DMV registrations fees, and I then pick up my completed registration in a week. This service also does my "out of state" VIN inspections.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
I have done California YOM plates on many different vehicles. My advice is DON'T GO TO THE DMV. Every employee at the DMV has a different understanding on what qualifies for the Year of Manufacture license plate program. Your trip usually turns into a complete cluster..........

For the past 20 years I have used a local California Authorized Privet DMV Service. These are sometimes called Vin Verifier's. I just drop off my special plates, she knows all of the DMV special plate rules, has all of the forms, knows what needs to be signed, charges me $35 for her processing fee, I pay the actual DMV registrations fees, and I then pick up my completed registration in a week. This service also does my "out of state" VIN inspections.
This sounds like a great idea, and thanks all for the responses. I'll do some digging around on this, but please do let me know if your service is in the bay area.

redpony

Contributor
I bought a pair of plates (black&yellow ) They already had the right year sticker on the plate they were for her 66 mustang. We have not tried to put them on the car yet. Thank you for the info. Their is a company up by Sac. THAT WILL HANDEL this all for you. More info contact me I will get the info.

Justin Palmer

Contributor
I completed the process. It took approximately 8 months, but that could have been because Covid had just hit.

Attachments

• FA535AB4-8D50-41DA-BC72-99E0FC9F65AF.jpeg
    FA535AB4-8D50-41DA-BC72-99E0FC9F65AF.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 27

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
It's possible because how do you explain the guys that restore lowriders that have new plates and later get authentic era correct plates to go with their vehicle. I just heard it somewhat of a hassle. As previously mentioned in here, I believe they have to be from the same year your vehicle is from, have the tags attached and be clear. Tri-fecta! You would think they'd make the process easier in order to make more money.

CA should have also allowed for the BLUE plates to be remade, along with the BLACK. I'd like to put BLUE plates on my '73, too!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
This sounds like a great idea, and thanks all for the responses. I'll do some digging around on this, but please do let me know if your service is in the bay area.

Call Ken Leek. He'll take care of it.

4xmatt

When I was buying and selling at Pomona swap meet years ago I would type the plate number of the one I wanted to buy into the personalized plate form on DMV if they said I could get the plate I knew it was unregistered and clear to do a YOM application. If it said it was unavailable I knew I couldn't and it wasn't worth buying.