• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Align Door w/ New Hinges

MtnSea76

Loc.
Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
I have purchased new hinges and I have been trying to align the door. Seems like every adjustment I make aligns the area I was looking at but throws off the alignment elsewhere. Any tips on how to do this easier? I have used a sharpie to outline the original hinge to try and have a good starting point. I have also had the joy of breaking the head off at least one original bolt. Good times. :)

Side comment, I have new bushings, so the frame sits level. I also installed new rubber seals to both doors. One door sits perfectly and the passenger doors leaves a gap of about 1/4 inch so it looks like the door isn't closed all the way. I thought new hinges would fit, due to them being original hinges. Doesn't seem to be the case, but the stainless steel Toms Hinges look so good.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well you’ve got three things going on there. Any of which could be causing your problem. Or all of them combined!

You said you had new body bushings, but that doesn’t automatically mean that the body is straight. Only you can verify that with a tape measure. No assuming allowed.
Has to be done with measurements because even Ford had to use shims to create even door gaps and body panel alignment.

Then you have new weatherstripping. This part alone is single-handed really responsible for the insanity of at least 30% of bronco owners. :)
The ones that fit well and allow the doors to shut properly are few and far between. Easily in the minority of installations.
So that’s another thing you have to verify. Did you already glue them in? I still don’t understand why all brands, including ours don’t come with a big yellow tag in the bag that says “warning! Do not glue until they have been test fitted!” or something to that effect.

Then there are the hinges themselves. Although most fit perfectly, I think we’ve heard a few stories here in recent years of some that were not quite perfectly aligned. Which seems typical of modern imported parts even when they are as simple as a bronco door hinge.
Do you still have your originals? Compare them exactly if possible. And if needed put them back in just to verify what you are actually fighting against.

Not good news I realize, but these are not always perfectly fitted parts. And even the Broncos themselves are not always perfectly fitted even at the factory. And then even some of those that were originally, no longer have good fitment after 50 years of use.

OP
OP
MtnSea76

MtnSea76

Loc.
Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Well you’ve got three things going on there. Any of which could be causing your problem. Or all of them combined!

You said you had new body bushings, but that doesn’t automatically mean that the body is straight. Only you can verify that with a tape measure. No assuming allowed.
Has to be done with measurements because even Ford had to use shims to create even door gaps and body panel alignment.

Then you have new weatherstripping. This part alone is single-handed really responsible for the insanity of at least 30% of bronco owners. :)
The ones that fit well and allow the doors to shut properly are few and far between. Easily in the minority of installations.
So that’s another thing you have to verify. Did you already glue them in? I still don’t understand why all brands, including ours don’t come with a big yellow tag in the bag that says “warning! Do not glue until they have been test fitted!” or something to that effect.

Then there are the hinges themselves. Although most fit perfectly, I think we’ve heard a few stories here in recent years of some that were not quite perfectly aligned. Which seems typical of modern imported parts even when they are as simple as a bronco door hinge.
Do you still have your originals? Compare them exactly if possible. And if needed put them back in just to verify what you are actually fighting against.

Not good news I realize, but these are not always perfectly fitted parts. And even the Broncos themselves are not always perfectly fitted even at the factory. And then even some of those that were originally, no longer have good fitment after 50 years of use.
Thank you @DirtDonk I'll try out your suggestions. I did measure the bushings, and they were very close, not perfect, but within a 16th of an inch.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
The door shim kit seems to work better than washers and its sounds like a few new backing plates (and bolts) are in your future. Both are inexpensive.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
look at your old hinges and where they bend look for press marks and distortions. it will look like lines pressed into the metal to adjust the hinges. the factory use to bend the hinges to adjust for and aft of the door on troublesome body tubs. when adjusting the doors to deal with door seals adjust the doors out from the door Jambs just enough to feel it with your fingers doors set back or very flush will have problems. the door gaps on Broncos are not like cars the bottom gap is almost twice as wide as the side gaps. closing this gap by mounting the door lower or raising the rocker to get perfect gaps will kill you when installing the lower door seals as it leave no space for the gasket to squeeze to.