• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 In-line 6 transmission

Bdhand

Contributor
What 3 speed manual transmission options do I have that will fit my 170 inline 6 in my 66? A guy at super celebration was telling me but I can’t remember which one he said. Is there a better 3 speed option?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No, they are the same. There are a couple different version, minor build variations, but nothing you will ever notice while driving.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a close ratio versus wide ratio aspect. I’ve had both in my 71 and it was a noticeable difference. In two ways, but unfortunately one of them was all bad.

The close ratio version had a taller first gear, but a better spread between first, second and third.
I loved shifting that one, but getting the old truck rolling from a dead stop took a lot of effort and clutch feathering to make work.
Even worse in four wheel low, because that’s when you really missed the lower gear.

I think the whole family of transmissions is known as the Ford 3.03 three speed.

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Found the guy and it was an AX15 he was telling me about which means moving shifter to the floor and I don’t want to do that so I guess I will start a 289 build and swap to an auto!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, not a match to the three speed. First of all obviously it’s a five speed, which is great, but mainly it doesn’t just bolt up.
Needs an adapter to the bell housing and some modifications to the bell housing. Needs an adapter to the transfer case, potentially new driveshafts and the new shifter position you mentioned.
Not just a plug and play swap obviously.

Something wrong with your existing transmission that you can’t use it? Does it need work, or were you just wanting to update it?

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Paul,
I have a 170 straight 6 and I am running 33x10.50 tires with a 2.5” lift and the straight 6 just doesn’t have the power I want with this setup so I was just curious of my options. EAB38BB4-29EB-4260-BEE9-DFA0D5080E7E.jpeg

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Next SC all the 6 cylinder Broncos ought to try to meet up and swap info. Mine is out of the norm - 250 cid, 5 speed, PS, PDB, electronic ignition, 32x11.50-15 (wish I had done 33x10.50-15).

Attachments

• Gumby.jpg
    Gumby.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
I agree Rodger. We’re you up there this year?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can see the need for a different trans then. More power is even better of course, but the lower first gear would be a nice thing to have just in general. And an overdrive in those situations when you can utilize it would be great.
But do you have the 4.11 gearing, or the 4.56? I bet with the 4.56's the overdrive would come in quite handy now and then.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Next SC all the 6 cylinder Broncos ought to try to meet up and swap info. Mine is out of the norm - 250 cid, 5 speed, PS, PDB, electronic ignition, 32x11.50-15 (wish I had done 33x10.50-15).

and a very nice one too.. U should definitely make that happen next year for the 6's

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The lack of cubic inches is a big deal. If you figure how many people are happy with a 351, and a 170 is less than half the displacement. but there are I6 options if you still want to keep that form. The 200 was a factory option in later years. The 250 is a tall deck version, they take a bit of work but they do fit and can appear stock.

Don't get wrapped up in the 300, it is a BIG engine. Lots of shoe horn. Nothing really fits right. LOTS of custom fab. I know people love them. They have been stuffed into early Broncos. But they really don't fit very well.

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
I can see the need for a different trans then. More power is even better of course, but the lower first gear would be a nice thing to have just in general. And an overdrive in those situations when you can utilize it would be great.
But do you have the 4.11 gearing, or the 4.56? I bet with the 4.56's the overdrive would come in quite handy now and then.

Paul
Still running the 4.11 gears