• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

69 Crate Motor

FL_Bronco

Loc.
Jupiter, FL
I researched several threads before posting this but trying to navigate the various crate motor options for my 1969 Bronco I'm currently restoring. The idea is to keep the as original as possible and right now the existing engine is not going to cut it, plus I need something reliable in FL summer heat.

Generally speaking, the Blueprint seem to be superior quality over ATK but pricer and longer lead times. Is there any "gotchas" I need to look out for or ask before ordering from someone like Jegs or Summit Racing (oil pan, short or long block, etc.)?

These were some options I was considering and would prefer to stay in the 300 HP or less range.
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/HP99F/10002/-1#
https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP3027CTC/10002/-1

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You just make sure you keep your Bronco oil pan and dipstick, your oil pump pick-up and the bolt that holds it in place. you will need your oil pump sending unit and its mounting tube. you keep your exhaust manifolds maybe the intake and Bronco carb. Keep all your pulleys you will probably keep your 3 bolt harmonic balancer and maybe the front timing cover. You will keep your flywheel and clutch assembly and your motor plate.
Its more than just unbolting one motor and bolting a new one in. with the price of these crate motors I would also check into getting your motor rebuilt or swapping in a used 5.0 roller motor. I personally would go to a roller 5.0 these days. the loss of zinc and ethanol gas are designed to kill your old school motor and its not going to get any better in the near future.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
You just make sure you keep your Bronco oil pan and dipstick, your oil pump pick-up and the bolt that holds it in place. you will need your oil pump sending unit and its mounting tube. you keep your exhaust manifolds maybe the intake and Bronco carb. Keep all your pulleys you will probably keep your 3 bolt harmonic balancer and maybe the front timing cover. You will keep your flywheel and clutch assembly and your motor plate.
Its more than just unbolting one motor and bolting a new one in. with the price of these crate motors I would also check into getting your motor rebuilt or swapping in a used 5.0 roller motor. I personally would go to a roller 5.0 these days. the loss of zinc and ethanol gas are designed to kill your old school motor and its not going to get any better in the near future.
I think the ad says it's a single piece rear main. And it's a 5.0, and not a 302. It is also 50 oz imbalance. I would be very surprised if Blueprint is selling a 28 oz-in crank. It's also a hydraulic roller block, with cast pistons and an iron crank. It runs the Windsor 1-3-7 firing order. From the picture, it looks like they are using the "Blueprint" universal conversion 3 bolt / 4 bolt damper, so the Bronco pulleys should bolt on, but the Bronco damper and flywheel are a no-go. Based on the Blueprint youtube video...I'll bet it's punched .040.

It drives me crazy that the aftermarket continues to advertise things based on marketing lingo and not based on OEM nomenclature. That engine is a rebuilt 1987+ Ford 5.0 that's .040 over with a set of cheap aluminum heads.

Rustytruck is absolutely correct in the rest of his advice.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I've had my eye on Blueprint's Bronco edition. Pricey but looks like it has all the bells and whistles.

You would think that a "Bronco" engine would come with a Bronco oil pan, and a dipstick. Alas, no. Another Fox 5.0 bored .040 and repurposed to bolt into a Bronco after you buy another flywheel, oil pan, pump pickup, and then you get a cam with the wrong firing order. The Bronco is a TRUCK, and trucks get a 6 quart heavy duty oil pan with a leaky dipstick tube on the passenger side. The Fox 5.0 is a 5 quart pan with the dipstick in the block on the driver's side.

I'm harping on the .040 for a reason. It means that you can NEVER bore this engine again. Why would anyone spend spend $7600 for a worn out block. (thats what "seasoned" means in this context...)

When Blueprint finally gets sourcing on a new block from the foundry, (Like they do with their GM block...) then that should be a GREAT product. Those older 5.0 blocks are drying up, so hopefully soon.

Last edited:

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My advice....Find a running Explorer with bad trans. Pull the motor (along with all EFI part as you never know what the future holds) and either run it (most are in VERY good shape) or have a local builder rebuild it punching it .020 over. Scrap the rest of the Explorer and get a few bucks back. Reuse the cam, pushrods and lifters. Disassemble the heads, have them cleaned and lap the valves. Reuse the rockers.

You get good heads, good cam, one piece rear main and at half the cost of a crate. Add to that the best cooling front dress in the business. Plus you have all the EFI parts to sell or use in the future.

I did the above but the donor was a E350 van. Love it would not do it any other way.

Tim

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
You would think that a "Bronco" engine would come with a Bronco oil pan, and a dipstick. Alas, no. Another Fox 5.0 bored .040 and repurposed to bolt into a Bronco after you buy another flywheel, oil pan, pump pickup, and then you get a cam with the wrong firing order. The Bronco is a TRUCK, and trucks get a 6 quart heavy duty oil pan with a leaky dipstick tube on the passenger side. The Fox 5.0 is a 5 quart pan with the dipstick in the block on the driver's side.

I'm harping on the .040 for a reason. It means that you can NEVER bore this engine again. Why would anyone spend spend $7600 for a worn out block. (thats what "seasoned" means in this context...)

When Blueprint finally gets sourcing on a new block from the foundry, (Like they do with their GM block...) then that should be a GREAT product. Those older 5.0 blocks are drying up, so hopefully soon.
I had no idea, thank you for the education.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How much restoring are you doing and how much modifying are you doing? You say restoring, but the actions sound a lot more like modifying.
Stock engine not going to cut it, why? They can be rebuilt most of the time. That would be a lot more of a restoration.

OP
OP
FL_Bronco

FL_Bronco

Loc.
Jupiter, FL
How much restoring are you doing and how much modifying are you doing? You say restoring, but the actions sound a lot more like modifying.
Stock engine not going to cut it, why? They can be rebuilt most of the time. That would be a lot more of a restoration.
I would say my goal is to get it running, painted, and road "safe." Full restoration to bring to a car show is not my goal nor is overbuilding the engine to increase horsepower. The Bronco will be a cruiser to the beach and go around town locally, not an offroader or long haul trip.

MikeCon

I researched several threads before posting this but trying to navigate the various crate motor options for my 1969 Bronco I'm currently restoring. The idea is to keep the as original as possible and right now the existing engine is not going to cut it, plus I need something reliable in FL summer heat.

Generally speaking, the Blueprint seem to be superior quality over ATK but pricer and longer lead times. Is there any "gotchas" I need to look out for or ask before ordering from someone like Jegs or Summit Racing (oil pan, short or long block, etc.)?

These were some options I was considering and would prefer to stay in the 300 HP or less range.
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/HP99F/10002/-1#
https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP3027CTC/10002/-1
Can you rebuild what you have? Moved out of Jupiter 6 years ago. My home town.

OP
OP
FL_Bronco

FL_Bronco

Loc.
Jupiter, FL
Can you rebuild what you have? Moved out of Jupiter 6 years ago. My home town.
Nice!
So my friend is the one helping me rebuild and not in FL so once it's driveable he's going to ship down to me. My concern is rebuild and having issues later down the road where I dont have the proper tools to do so. Not sure if there is a market to sell a rebuild but didnt see the histoircal value of keeping the original other than the parts I need to strip off for the replacement.

These are the two crate motors I'm considering....not the cheapest route but maybe less headache or cost than a rebuild?
https://blueprintengines.com/produc...k-ford-dressed-longblock-carburetor-bp3024ctc
https://www.high-performance-engines.com/ford-302-complete-engine-300hp-p/hp79c.htm

Cheapest option but no dyno test which seems crazy.
https://www.high-performance-engines.com/ford-302-drop-in-engine-68-74-crate-engine-p/hp99f.htm

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The whole point is your not going to get a drop in motor for your Bronco. what ever motor you get will have to be converted to a drop in bronco engine. what ever engine do not return your core with the Bronco specific parts still on it.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I'd be concerned about the motors being bored .060 over. Could end up chasing overheating issues.