• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W - how to get shift indicator to line up?

1buckeyefan1

Starting to get my 4R70W install put back to together. I have a Flaming River tilt column, 2" body lift, 4R70W and using the Lokar ACA-1808 shift linkage.

It took a few attempts of clocking the Lokar linkage as well as the Flaming River column linkage to shift through all of the 4R70W gear ranges. I started at the Lokar recommended 7:30 Park clocking and I couldn't get enough travel to get through the range of gears. moving it to 9:00 (pictured) gets me through the gears pretty smoothly.

My problem now is I can't get the indicator to match? I know this is a curse of classic cars and the owner just 'knows' based on the shift detents. I'd like to get it closer though, but changed my clocking on both the column and trans and this is about the best I can get. Before I start hunting for a similar GM-style indicator w/ the R closer to a P, does anyone have any experience/tips on how to improve the indicator?

The indicator seems to have a wide band for park. Reverse is actually in the middle of "ark". Neutral gets closer and Drive isn't too far off. The only thing I haven't tried yet is cutting the rod, reclocking the column another hole (leaving trans at 9) and seeing if it changes the throw? But there's no turning back if I cut the rod :)

Attachments

• column in park.jpg
    column in park.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
  • drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 54
  • neutral.jpg
    neutral.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Reverse.jpg
    Reverse.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 53
  • trans in park.jpg
    trans in park.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had to re clock mine, but eventually got it to line up. I don't have the 2" though.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I am having the same issue with my factory 74 column and same linkage/tranny. It is not perfect. Like you, I have moved things around (lengthened, shortened, extended) and I cannot get things to line up on either side of the indicator.
It was the same with the Ididit column I did a number of years ago. Set everything up in neutral and either end of the range was not perfect.
For an AOD swap I did years ago, with a floor shift lokar shifter, I re-engineered the brackets to get the throw I needed.
I would be interested to hear if someone has made a fix that works?
Doug.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

I am having the same issue with my factory 74 column and same linkage/tranny. It is not perfect. Like you, I have moved things around (lengthened, shortened, extended) and I cannot get things to line up on either side of the indicator.
It was the same with the Ididit column I did a number of years ago. Set everything up in neutral and either end of the range was not perfect.
For an AOD swap I did years ago, with a floor shift lokar shifter, I re-engineered the brackets to get the throw I needed.
I would be interested to hear if someone has made a fix that works?
Doug.

Uh oh.. I had my hopes on Doug coming through with a solution (again)! ;) If you've struggled with it your last few builds, that probably means the struggle is real.

My low-tech option is to take my spare indicator (thanks Flaming River for selling me another when when i sent my column in for a rebuild!).. wiping off the existing letters and using my wife's Cricut to cut out some new letters if all else fails.. but i'd really like to adjust the linkage if it's possible.

Attachments

• clear indicator.jpg
    clear indicator.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 30

jmhend

Bronco Guru
It's never as "bolt on" as it should be..I'm following. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To the OP, was the column available with an OD style shift indicator? Or is one available to swap out yours for?
Along those lines, do the OD indicators actually have different spacing? If so that might be one possible answer.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

To the OP, was the column available with an OD style shift indicator? Or is one available to swap out yours for?
Along those lines, do the OD indicators actually have different spacing? If so that might be one possible answer.

I cruised through the FlamingRiver site yesterday & Summit and most of them had "Park" spelled out to simulate the old GM truck shift columns. I have my low-tech solution ready to simply put stickers onto the clear indicator if I have to ;)

But as I was perusing Flaming Rivers site, I came across an adjustable linkage that is supposed to help improve your indicator position. The only thing I haven't tried yet is cutting the Lokar linkage and possibly shifting the bolt backwards on the transmission side (similar to the FR adjustment?)

https://www.flamingriver.com/steering-column-accessories/fr20059-shift-indicator-adjustment-kit

Attachments

• FR adjustable linkage.jpg
    FR adjustable linkage.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

I focused on getting prnd dead on. Almost impossible to align 2 1.

thx. Other than clocking the column and trans, what slight adjustments did you make? Did shortening the rod or moving the bolt back on the trans arm help fine tune?

I'm stumped on how to get P & R lined up when the detent has a very short gap vs. the long gap on the indicator?

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

thx. Other than clocking the column and trans, what slight adjustments did you make? Did shortening the rod or moving the bolt back on the trans arm help fine tune?

I'm stumped on how to get P & R lined up when the detent has a very short gap vs. the long gap on the indicator?

So I called Lokar.. they recommend lining it up in Neutral and using the threaded parts of the rod to fine-tune. I'm pretty sure I need to take 3/8" or so off the rod to give myself a little more play. Will report back.

Also, if anyone uses the Lokar kit..be careful in torquing down the set screws. there isn't alot of thread and I stripped one out (Lokar is going to send me a replacement). I saw in a previous thread where someone else did the same.

gabe1974

I blocked my wheels. put the trans in N, secured the shift lever in N. adjusted the rod as needed. fastened all bolts and set screws.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

I focused on getting prnd dead on. Almost impossible to align 2 1.

Yep, this is the answer. I took almost 3/4" off the rod, started aligning it in N..but it couldn't hit the column lock for P. So i went back to P and got it to lock, and sure enough P,R,N,D are pretty close, but 2 is almost 1 and I can't get down to 1 w/out bending the shift indicator. I think this is as good as I'm going to get it.

For anyone else going down the path, the trick is to take *just* enough off the linkage rod to adjust the threads up and down a bit. 9:00 for park worked best for me on the trans.