• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need opinions on existing frame

AG&CO

Good evening everyone, I'm in the process of tearing apart my '76. Took the old rusty tub off and the back body mount holes and shock hangers look pretty bad. There are definitely some other spots that need some attention too. I'm trying to decide if I should fix the existing issues or look at a replacement frame.
bronco_2.jpg
bronco_left.jpg
bronco_shock_hanger.jpg
bronco_mid_mount.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If that’s the worst damage, just patch it. There are patch panels available where you can cut a piece out and weld the new piece in.
Or you can make your own.

If other parts of the frame look similar, especially in the middle of the frame rails, then that might be the time to start looking for a new one.

It does look rough, but from the limited number of pictures we can’t really tell the overall condition. This corner looks fixable.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
IF you get another 'used' Bronco frame, make sure you get the matching title with the frame as that would become your new title for your Bronco.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
If that's the worst of it then I would definitely fix it. Shock mounts are available as well as washers to fix the body mount holes. I had to do the same repairs on a frame recently IMG_20220317_082424927.jpg

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You can repair the mount holes and section in a piece of frame so you can retain your vin number. A donor frame with no title is a lot cheaper.

Attachments

• frame section7.JPG
    frame section7.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 44
  • frame section5.JPG
    frame section5.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 42
  • frame section2.JPG
    frame section2.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 37
  • frame section1.JPG
    frame section1.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 38
  • frame repair4.JPG
    frame repair4.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 36
  • frame repair3.JPG
    frame repair3.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 40

71 CA Bronco

Wait a minute. You guys are screwing up those frames. Aren't the factory welds supposed to look like the new guy welded them and a pill of boogers. :)

Very nice work boys. Heck I would blast the frame before you decide. If its just isolated to what can be seen in the pictures, as others have said, easy fix.

hunter1

Contributor
Loc.
Maryville, Tn
I performed similar repairs to mine after blasting. Both shock mounts, repaired all the body mount holes and patched a couple holes in the frame.

IMG_1099.jpg IMG_1122.jpg IMG_1126.jpg IMG_1082.jpg IMG_1088.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 33