• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 overheating

Bdhand

Contributor
While riding slowly through Cades Cove at super Celebration a couple of weeks ago our 77 started to overheat and water was boiling out of the overflow container. Several people have suggested checking the fan. Here is a pic. Is this the best option for me or do I need to change back to something better?? This was on there when I bought the bronco

Attachments

• 434039B4-0F8A-4DF2-A087-0B4584D86BA5.jpeg
    434039B4-0F8A-4DF2-A087-0B4584D86BA5.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 49

TNcowboy

Ditch the flex fan IMO. Go with a thermostatic fan clutch

What radiator are you running?

I would also be sure there are no underlying issues causing your overheating problems.

Last edited:

TNcowboy

Just realized....this happened on Sat correct?

We were right behind you in a holly green 67

Along with a fan change you might look into a high flow pump like a flowkooler

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I had the exact same problem with my ‘77. It’s an automatic with a/c and started to overheat on the Cades Cove cruise a few years ago. I got after it when I got home and tested several fans. A stock Ford 7 blade flexfan and a slightly smaller pulley produced 72% more airflow thru the radiator at idle. I never overheat, even with the a/c running in 90 degree weather. Here’s a old thread about it….probably just the fan change would do it for you.

Last edited:

TheVazha

On subject, I have an electric fan that turns on when the car reaches 190. Are these mechanical fans better? They certainly seem to be, sort of “always on”? What’s the pros and cons of doing this set up like OP vs an electric one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Just realized....this happened on Sat correct?

We were right behind you in a holly green 67

Along with a fan change you might look into a high flow pump like a flowkooler
Yes that is correct cowboy

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Electric fans cannot move the volume of air needed. A mechanical fan with a shroud will always cool better. As stated the stock 7 blade fan is the way to go. The only thing better is an explorer serpentine and fan set up, even that still needs a shroud.

Only exception to the electric fan is if you go to a fan from a late model truck with a v8. Those move a ton of air but require some expensive, complicated, controllers, and a charging system that can keep up, the electric draw can run 100amps or more at full tilt. Most of them will not fit in a bronco.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Drive mine all summer and have never had an issue with the stock ford fan, also have the toms aluminum radiator. Neither of my broncos have a/c in them currently tho.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quick fix as stated stock ford fan , see where it goes from there