• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DIY Low cost underhood work light

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Not sure if this should go here or elsewhere.

Was looking at options for underhood lighting. Most were cheaply made, rechargable, overpriced Chinese junk, starting at about $60 for 400ish lumens and 90 minutes of runtime (followed by the same amount to recharge.)

Here's a cheap solution from Harbor Freight. Even here in CA I have less than $30 in it:

1 - 4' 4000 lumen led shop light -$23 (64410)
1 - magnetic hooks - $4

The magnets are strong, the hook part not so much. Will likely drill out the cheap rivets later and replace with better hardware.

Assembly:

* Make sure the lamp is properly wired / grounded. Because... China.

* While I used the included hardware to hang the light to connect to the magnets... It might be a better idea to use something non-conductive.

I don't like the switch - when it fails I'll replace with a toggle.

Outcome -much better than my OG single bulb drop light. I think my mid 50s eyes are going to appreciate this a lot.

Attachments

• PXL_20220505_010831087~2.jpg
    PXL_20220505_010831087~2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, but think about it. Now you have no excuse to stop when it gets dark. 😁😉

Then again, that light is so good and with such even coverage you might not want to stop!

i3adme

n00b
These days I’m leaning towards rechargeable headlamps. I like the fact light always shines where I’m lookin’. My problem however is that mine is not rechargeable and eats batteries like the Cookie Monster.

Edit:
I forgot to say that I have this light from HF lighting my shop table and it’s brighter than the sun. Been meaning to get another one for the other half of the garage.

Last edited:

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
These days I’m leaning towards rechargeable headlamps. I like the fact light always shines where I’m lookin’. My problem however is that mine is not rechargeable and eats batteries like the Cookie Monster.

Edit:
I forgot to say that I have this light from HF lighting my shop table and it’s brighter than the sun. Been meaning to get another one for the other half of the garage.
Which one did you buy from HF? I bought a 2 pack of 8 4ft length LED lights from Amazon about a year and a half ago. I got one set up, never did get the other set up, glad I didn't because I have had to use the 2nd set as replacements due to the fact that they aren't lasting very long. And Amazon isn't doing anything about it.

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Yeah, but think about it. Now you have no excuse to stop when it gets dark. 😁😉

Then again, that light is so good and with such even coverage you might not want to stop!

Yeah, that's true. But I also see the benefit of being able to get out and work for 1/2 hour at at time too, without having to hassle with dragging out my drop lamp, etc.

Plus, the more I work the more $$ the vendors tend to make. haha!

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA

Edit:

Headlamps are great, I agree. Mine isn't rechargable either, so I can relate to the battery issue.

I really wanted one of those OG, underhood fluorescent lights that plug in but coudn't find what I was looking for.

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Which one did you buy from HF? I bought a 2 pack of 8 4ft length LED lights from Amazon about a year and a half ago. I got one set up, never did get the other set up, glad I didn't because I have had to use the 2nd set as replacements due to the fact that they aren't lasting very long. And Amazon isn't doing anything about it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lumen-4-ft-led-hanging-shop-light-64410.html is the one I purchased.

I'm actually glad I didn't go with something "two row". I'd have to apply sunscreen.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yep I pretty much go anywhere with my 4 lamp headlight.it eats batteries for breakfast but that's OK it gets all those toxic chemicals out of the ground.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS

Edit:
Some of those light can be considered winter heaters. I had one from Home Depot it was 2 500light on a stand. man that thing was brutal

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Some of those light can be considered winter heaters. I had one from Home Depot it was 2 500light on a stand. man that thing was brutal
That's probably a good point. I'll have to run for a bit and see how much it gets puts off. Hoping because it's LED it won't be too hot...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Not sure if this should go here or elsewhere.

Was looking at options for underhood lighting. Most were cheaply made, rechargable, overpriced Chinese junk, starting at about $60 for 400ish lumens and 90 minutes of runtime (followed by the same amount to recharge.)

Here's a cheap solution from Harbor Freight. Even here in CA I have less than $30 in it:

1 - 4' 4000 lumen led shop light -$23 (64410)
1 - magnetic hooks - $4

The magnets are strong, the hook part not so much. Will likely drill out the cheap rivets later and replace with better hardware.

Assembly:

* Make sure the lamp is properly wired / grounded. Because... China.

* While I used the included hardware to hang the light to connect to the magnets... It might be a better idea to use something non-conductive.

I don't like the switch - when it fails I'll replace with a toggle.

Outcome -much better than my OG single bulb drop light. I think my mid 50s eyes are going to appreciate this a lot.

HF has some very decent and cheap options....

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
HF has some very decent and cheap options....
They have some. But I'll tell you, I've been working on her in my hood all day today, and it sure is nice to be able to just fire that thing up and let it run without worrying about recharging batteries. Plenty of light, and it does not heat up substantially. Well worth the $30 I spent.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Great idea. I made a couple up for light under my 4 post hoist. I have been looking at putting rope LEDS along the runways, this was easier and works for under the hood as well. I had previously mounted a couple lights low down in the wall which helps, just not the same.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
They have some. But I'll tell you, I've been working on her in my hood all day today, and it sure is nice to be able to just fire that thing up and let it run without worrying about recharging batteries. Plenty of light, and it does not heat up substantially. Well worth the $30 I spent.

Yes sir.. amen to that