• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque converter advice needed

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice concerning a custom application. I'm not much of an automatic guy, but this is my wife's bronco so an automatic it is.

It's a 66 Broncos with a 4 cylinder Isuzu 4bd1t diesel backed by a 4r100 from a 2000 f350 diesel. The trans is a used oem unit so nothing special there. I'm using a US shift controller for the trans. I've got 6k miles on it and have almost everything working great. The only thing I'm not happy with is converter engagement at idle. Obviously the Broncos doesn't spec out anywhere like the doner f350 so I fully expected some tweaking. The issue is when you put it in gear the converter is engaged and you have to apply the brakes more than I'd like to hold it from moving. It draws the idle down pretty hard.

I'm not looking for performance. The goal is to be a nice driving vehicle. If I remove the converter and take it to a reputable shop, explain what I'm doing, could they raise the stall speed by a few hundred rpm? Better yet, could they build a new one just going by specs so I could just swap it out and not have the truck down long? Any advice is appreciated.

John

brewchief

The average trans shop won't be able to change stall speed, a custom convertor builder certainly can. I had one built for my bronco vs buting of the shelf and it was worth it. I used a company called revmax, I spent 20 or 30 minutes on the phone giving them the info on my particular setup and what I wanted. The more info you have the better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Qumanchew

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Thanks guys, I'll check out both of the places suggested. We have a great local transmission shop that has done two rebuilds for me. I've been very happy with them, but like Brewchief mentioned they're not in the custom application game.

I've been trying to research the subject but must info I find is for race applications.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
One trick you can do with that transmission controller is set the 1-2 upshift speed to 0 MPH for the first two or three data points on the setup chart. This will keep the transmission in 2nd gear at idle but the first little tip in of throttle will drop to first. I did this on the Bronco before I had power brakes. Made sitting at stop lights much better. Didn't even feel the 2-1 downshift as you tip in. Just touch the throttle and it is in 1st and pulling.

OP
OP
Qumanchew

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
That's a great idea! I'm going to give that a try tomorrow. I'm still going get the converter sorted out but this might get me by until I get that done. Thanks for the info!

John

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
HOWSHER WHEN YOU DO THIS adjustment to BE IN 2ND until you touch the throttle . Do you not feel the 1st Pop into gear.
While I worked at Chrysler we had a situation of our trans being in 2nd gear .But when we took off . We got a hard hit going down into 1st & then it shifter into 2nd like it should.
.... Now ours was a trans code problem & We had to rebuild these trans .
But If that down shift is not felt then That is a neat trick to have get your tran preforming correctly.
I just posted my question so I can keep up with the situation .