• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oh no!!! Big oly!!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Pulled these pics from face book… big oly got in some trouble. Love the fact it hasn’t just been sitting in a collection but man didn’t expect this.

Not fun for sure, but Oly will come back strong as ever next race :)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm not saying they rolled it again but...

it looks a little more different today than yesterday.
03a609b1c96b0d784c7507ef813d68f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
I'm not saying they rolled it again but...

it looks a little more different today than yesterday.
03a609b1c96b0d784c7507ef813d68f6.jpg

Makes my heart hurt...

I get the whole point of using what you buy the way it was intended... but, damn... at $1.87M plus the work that was done to it after buying it, I can't imagine the logic in racing it in Safari. And if you're right, Phil, having another incident is even more confusing.

Jeff

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's a couple more shots. Note the crushed beer can on the roof.
6668f70fbd8d1740eea6b2c1ef055a90.jpg
e2ee38524d073a0930d24c240190e7e4.jpg
7a67163b0c38831ca376d973aa06b992.jpg

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh well...... He might as well go ahead and thrash and trash it all over so it will all have to be completely rebuilt! That way it's all new!
You can educate ignorance, you can medicate crazy, but you can't fix STUPID!

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Oh well...... He might as well go head and thrash and trash it all over so it will all have to be completely rebuilt! That way it's all new!
You can educate ignorance, you can medicate crazy, but you can't fix STUPID!

I’m with you on this one. Big Oly just ended up in the wrong hands. Too much money can make people stupid….

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It will be fixed. as for it being a problem, as far as I know he's not asking anyone to pay for fixing it, it belongs to someone that wanted it used. I get that its a great piece of history, but it is steel, aluminum and fiberglass, its repairable, it is a race car that is being used, stuff happens. He has the resources use his stuff the way he wants, more power to him.

Besides it give us more opportunity for pictures and press news that if it was sitting as a time capsule in the corner of a private collection or collecting dust in museum. It was built to be used and as long as someone can do so I believe it should be.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'm glad to see it out and being used, even if driven "stupidly." Think about it, some of us go rock climbing. Anytime we're rock climbing, a rollover is possible. People that drive Hondas and Subarus would describe rock climbing as driving "stupidly." This Bronco is built to be run hard, wrecked and rebuilt. That's its purpose.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you seen the vintage care cars getting banged up at Goodwood? Yes, there is a risk to running them. but the warehouse they could be hidden in could burn down as well.
Few years back Jay Leno was in Hemi under glass when it rolled. They fixed it.
Tough to see vintage stuff getting beat up, but also good to see it getting out. Not like this was a pristine survivor, it was raced hard in the past. Not a big deal.
I was racing several years ago and saw a 40 million dollar 250 GTO Ferrari crash badly at Monterey in the historic races. It looks new again and still worth that much or more today. If you have the money, enjoy it.

House

Minutia Militia
Yeah I have mixed feelings, and sad to see it messed up, but…
This ain’t Oly’s first rodeo, and it ain’t it’s first time on it’s lid…
Something to be said for Dick Russell‘s craftsmanship 50 years later.
Glad to see it made it to the finish line!!!

Chipotle

Yeah, but my feeling is : dick Russell fab work, other stroppe and pj employee fab work, original decals, and fiberglass, orig alum work- sure you can replace that with (insert current hotshot fab guys name) ,but why? If you have cash to fix it why not just buy it build another truck to wreck, while you stage passes on a non competitive safari fun run in Baja? However, I am glad it’s not totally destroyed and understucture seems intact.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Remember how many people bemoaned the fate it would likely see, of living out it's life out of sight in a warehouse collection somewhere? Not seeing it in action anymore and hating that it would not be used or driven like it should be?
Seems like we now have the opposite crowd speaking out.

Of course, rolling it doing fun donuts was kind of asking for trouble from both sides!:eek:
But not all of us have those skills we're talking about. I have been driving Broncos almost since they were new, but am pretty sure (after a few close calls) that once in 4wd in the dirt, I can't read bumpy terrain like I can read a road surface. And would likely put one on it's nose going too fast with too little suspension within the first few minutes.
Hence my joy of crawling, rather than finding my limits at the other end of the spectrum.

Paul

OP
OP
Lewko66u13

Lewko66u13

Contributor
Loc.
Canada
Remember how many people bemoaned the fate it would likely see, of living out it's life out of sight in a warehouse collection somewhere? Not seeing it in action anymore and hating that it would not be used or driven like it should be?
Seems like we now have the opposite crowd speaking out.

Of course, rolling it doing fun donuts was kind of asking for trouble from both sides!:eek:
But not all of us have those skills we're talking about. I have been driving Broncos almost since they were new, but am pretty sure (after a few close calls) that once in 4wd in the dirt, I can't read bumpy terrain like I can read a road surface. And would likely put one on it's nose going too fast with too little suspension within the first few minutes.
Hence my joy of crawling, rather than finding my limits at the other end of the spectrum.

Paul
I Duno if the complete opposite crowd is speaking out. I think a lot of people and the majority are stoked it’s not just locked away in a private collection and it’s actually out being used and shown off. What I think a lot of people are confused about is how do you roll it not only once but twice in a non competitive class. But I guess if you have 1.8 million to buy Big oly you have the money to fix it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m thinking the same thing.

And it’s not like the vehicle isn’t set up for some pretty serious action. But maybe it’s dialed in for 100 miles an hour on the dry lake bed, not spinning 360’s at 5mph!