• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana20 TC popped out of 2H

ymelnic1

Hey gents, I moved over the weekend and took the rig up to 70mph for the first time in four years or so. I felt/heard a little whine out of the TC on the way over. Made it home and took it on a cruise this morning and the rig popped out of gear in 2H. I pulled over and tired to put her in park and heard all kinds of grinding. I could not get her in gear in 2H and limped home in 4L. Any ideas on what it can be? I really don't want to drop the TC and hope that it could be worn detent springs/balls or something else easy. Everything is stock and its and automatic. No lift kit.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When you went to park, that was the parking pawl bouncing off the spinning output shaft of the transmission. That is normal and expected. Turn the engine off before trying to shift into park.

Not able to get into gear while the transmission output shaft is spinning is normal. Getting it into low range was rather amazing, usually can't do that with a running engine.

OP
OP
Y

ymelnic1

I really can't remember if I let off the throttle when it happened, it just got me by surprise. When I got home after work, I cranked it up again and everything works just fine. 4L, 4H, AND 2H. Super weird.... Just want to make sure I don't have this happen again especially on a highway...

OP
OP
Y

ymelnic1

So I took it to work and no more issues with the exception of the engine seeming to run a bit rougher than I remember, but that's obviously outside the issue. So should I chalk it up to the TC popping out of gear? Is there anything I should be worried about and/or switching out parts to prevent this from happening again? Thanks for all your help!

mrdrnac

Contributor
You may want to check your rear drive yoke on the transfer case to make sure that it doesn't have any extra play in it. If there is excessive end play in it, it can cause the transfer case to pop out of gear.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I mentioned having the motor shut off with an automatic makes it much easier to put back in gear after it pops out. This was to make sure that's all that was going on. Bowser gave you more details and mentioned getting it into low range was interesting. At slow speeds putting the trans in neutral can help. As to hurting anything it's anyone's guess, as long as you weren't trying hard to force things you should be ok. If it happens again you know to shut it down.

As mrdnrc mentioned output shaft end play is a good place to start. Worn shift forks and hubs would be another possibility. Please don't try to bungee or tie the shift lever in place as it will increase wear.

This shouldn't effect the way the motor runs, different issue.

Your first post mentioned a noise, check fluid levels and try to notice when the noise comes and goes. BTW road surfaces can cause different noises. Had it happen last night, changed lanes and the noise quit. Nothing wrong with the vehicle or the noise would have followed.

bigjhoov

nobody
Could be lots of things.....worn detent springs, loose shifter fork inside the t-case, not enough preload on the output shafts. Whatever you do, don't put a bungee or any kind of keeper strap on it to keep it in gear. You can potentially wear out the feet on the shifter fork or widen the groove on the gears, turning a possibly cheap fix into an expensive one. Personally, I would check the detent spring to see if they are collapsed first. Sometimes you can add some more tension by adding a washer or two to the backside of the spring before putting the keeper screw back on.

OP
OP
Y

ymelnic1

gnpenning I did change the gear oil on rear and front as well as the TC the weekend before. I also attempted to seal up the pesky leak of gear oil on the TC at the port with the shim pack with Permatex airplane gasket seal. I’m thinking now there could have been too much buildup between the shims with the Permatex and the end shaft plat could the culprit here!

Bigjhoov I’ll check the springs as well I think these could be reached and checked without dropping the TC? Doesn’t hurt anything to go ahead and replace both. Not a huge cost.

Both great suggestions! Thanks for the advice guys!

jgrow

My D20 with a jb twin stick setup recently started popping out above 3000rpms upon acceleration. I pulled rear shaft, checked play on rear yoke...seemed fine. Ordered new springs and balls for d20. Installed new spring and it still popped out. Noticed new spring was shorter than my old one so put old one back in and lubed rear driveshaft. I've only driven it a couple of times since but haven't had it pop out. I wouldn't call it fixed yet but got it up to 3500-4000rpms with no problems. Maybe my rear driveshaft was vibrating a lot with no grease in it.?? Anywho, probably wouldnt hurt to check springs(got to mine with 1" body lift easily) and make sure shaft is greased. good luck.

BOBS 2 68S

Loc.
Hudson, CO
jgrow
on mine with 1 inch body lift and JB twin stick the rear drive leaver was rubbing in the transmision tunnel. I cut back the tunnel and mine has stayed in gear, even hard through the gears.
I missed the body clearance when I installed so it I rebuilt a second transfercase. It a good thing I have a spare EB for it.

OP
OP
Y

ymelnic1

So it started happening again. When I really get onto the throttle in 2H I installed start hearing what sounds like a loose gear in the TC before it eventually pops out. Seems to only happen under throttling. Took me a while to pop it back in and limped home in 4L. I’ll try to change the springs and see if that gets me anywhere.

I’m assuming I need to drop the tranny if I need to get it out-correct? Just want to be mentally prepared for a rebuild if necessary.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then you need more than just springs. Something is not letting it shift into 4-high, which might be the same something that is not letting it stay in 2-high.
not sure what that something might be, but the resident t-case experts might be able to lead you down the right path.

Paul

bigjhoov

nobody
Pop the inspection plate off and see if there is anything obvious going on before you drop it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And loose shift forks. Worn out shift forks, anything that looks out of place including the condition of the oil that comes out.

OP
OP
Y

ymelnic1

And loose shift forks. Worn out shift forks, anything that looks out of place including the condition of the oil that comes out.
I drained the TC just an hr ago and yep - fairly large pieces of thin metal stuck to the cover plate. Roughly 1/2" long and curled up. The teeth on the wheels seem fine and not even chipped. Any idea on what the thin pieces could be since everything in there is strong and beefy?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I drained the TC just an hr ago and yep - fairly large pieces of thin metal stuck to the cover plate. Roughly 1/2" long and curled up. The teeth on the wheels seem fine and not even chipped. Any idea on what the thin pieces could be since everything in there is strong and beefy?
Rear output housing shims. See if the rear yoke will move up and down.