• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Center Console Question

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My center console is sitting too far forward due to the passenger seat inside hinge. Currently the console is mounted so you can reach in-between console and seat to access hinge that allows the passenger seat to fold forward to gain access to the back seat. What are my options to be able to move the console back a few inches? 280757251_738848430894898_1410472120360790752_n.jpg 280447476_393141012696727_8863577449941688997_n.jpg

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can the hinge be relocated?
Different console?
Different seats?
?????

BPerry

Can the hinge be relocated?
Different console?
Different seats?
?????
I don't have an answer to your issue, but! If you change seats I'm a taker for those!! In fact, I'll take the the whole shootn match...

Very nice my friend!

On the other hand, if your somewhat handy, you could remove the factory latch release and attached it to the metal latch itself. Won't look factory, but wouldn't be very noticeable once the console is moved back.

Bp

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How wide is the console? My Tuffy console is more rearward and does block the lever at least visually. However you can still reach in and twist it and flip the seat. It’s just a little more awkward than it could be otherwise, but the position of the console is actually pretty decent.

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How wide is the console? My Tuffy console is more rearward and does block the lever at least visually. However you can still reach in and twist it and flip the seat. It’s just a little more awkward than it could be otherwise, but the position of the console is actually pretty decent.
DirtDonk, the rear of the console is 9" wide.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's pretty wide. I think we usually use 8" as the max, so that might be why yours was more problematic and needed moving forward.
I could be wrong on that, but I know the 10" wide consoles that so many used to want to us were definitely too wide even for stock seats. Much worse with some seat swaps.

Maybe you'll be the one to invent the new and improved cable release mechanism for Broncos!

Paul

kat

Loc.
Bristol
It appears that your center console is padded heavily which means you have a little wiggle room there. How much further back do you want it to go?? By the pics it looks just about right. You could move the console a little further to the drivers seat, this plus the padding you should be able to still use the lever. On my 76 when I fold the passengers seat forward it goes at somewhat of an angle so your seat lever should move out of the way. Just a thought

Spaggyroe

I made a little "L" shaped piece out of sheet metal and attached it to the seat release mechanism.
Now my passenger seat release can be done from behind the seat.
Sorry, not the best pic...

Attachments

• Seat Lever.jpg
    Seat Lever.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 49

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great solution! Not only for clearance, but probably puts the leverage factor more towards the fingers rather than the seat.
I might do that to mine even though it's not as tight as some. Still might be worth it just to make the release easier to manipulate.
Thanks for posting it up.

Paul

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I made a little "L" shaped piece out of sheet metal and attached it to the seat release mechanism.
I did the same with my Tuffy console in the 76. Easy to put a little extension on the handle with some scrap aluminum. Works great.

BPerry

That is exactly what I was talking about!