• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scout ac unit

widowmaker77

Contributor
So I was watching a video on YouTube with this guy installing a under dash either factory or dealer installed ac unit in a scout. It’s sorta the same design as the newer aftermarket units but looks more compact. got me to thinking if one of these would fit a bronco dash. Anyone ever tried to put one in a bronco or have any experience with this system? Here is a link to a newer similar system I found. https://www.scoutcoproducts.com/scout-ii-air-conditioner-kit

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Are you referring to the video below?
If so, he did exactly what I did to my ‘77 which came with the dealer added ARA underdash air. I replaced the York compressor with a Sanden several years ago and it cooled but not well. Last fall, I pulled the entire system out.

I cleaned the fan, replaced the fan switch, and expansion valve, and cleaned the evaporator coils. I replaced the condenser with a larger parallel flow condenser, replaced the drier, and made all new nylon lined 134 compatible hoses for it. I got it all in, vacuumed it down, charged it up with 134 and I am getting -2 degree coil temps. It will FREEZE you out in the middle of summer.

After 6 months it has not leaked down a bit. You could do the same with any under dash system that fits. The key to cold air with 134a is a large condenser. You want the largest parallel flow one that will fit and you want a fan that will pull a lot of air thru it. The rest is just plumbing… I have a thread on here with some pics of mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
If so, he did exactly what I did to my ‘77 which came with the dealer added ARA underdash air. I replaced the York compressor with a Sanden several years ago and it cooled but not well. Last fall, I pulled the entire system out.

I cleaned the evaporator, replaced the fan switch, and expansion valve, and cleaned the evaporator coils. I replaced the condenser with a larger parallel flow condenser, replaced the drier, and made all new nylon lined 134 compatible hoses for it. I got it all in, vacuumed it down, charged it up with 134 and I am getting -2 degree coil temps. It will FREEZE you out in the middle of summer.

After 6 months it has not leaked down a bit. You could do the same with any under dash system that fits. The key to cold air with 134a is a large condenser. You want the largest parallel flow one that will fit and you want a fan that will pull a lot of air thru it. The rest is just plumbing… I have a thread on here with some pics of mine.

Yep that’s it. I couldn’t remember the name of the channel as I don’t follow it. Thanks for the info. I’ll try to find you thread and check it out.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I don’t see any reason why that scout system would not work fine as long as the underdash unit fits and can be centered. You want to verify that the condenser will fit if you get the entire kit. I tried several until I found this one which fits nearly perfect. It fills the entire radiator cutout in the core support. I painted it black and from the front it just looks like a radiator.
c67160de1b6735292ef74287740eca35.jpg

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
I don’t see any reason why that scout system would not work fine as long as the underdash unit fits and can be centered. You want to verify that the condenser will fit if you get the entire kit. I tried several until I found this one which fits nearly perfect. It fills the entire radiator cutout in the core support. I painted it black and from the front it just looks like a radiator.
c67160de1b6735292ef74287740eca35.jpg

[/URL]
Thanks man I appreciate it! Any idea what vehicle your condenser originally fit in?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks man I appreciate it! Any idea what vehicle your condenser originally fit in?

It’s a universal condenser. I just measured the hole in the core support and looked for one that size. These parallel flow ones are thinner and a lot more efficient than the old style. I had to notch the mounting bracket in a couple of spots and it fit like it was made for it. Just one screw on each corner where the old one was mounted.
8d7a9e3bf71d2a2d8504e43b4207a8b8.jpg

Here’s the Amazon link.

This is the old one next to it.
a18634ed1fe76bd49f7722cba328dc90.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
It’s a universal condenser. I just measured the hole in the core support and looked for one that size. These parallel flow ones are thinner and a lot more efficient than the old style. I had to notch the mounting bracket in a couple of spots and it fit like it was made for it. Just one screw on each corner where the old one was mounted.
8d7a9e3bf71d2a2d8504e43b4207a8b8.jpg

Here’s the Amazon link.

[/URL]

This is the old one next to it.
a18634ed1fe76bd49f7722cba328dc90.jpg
Oh I gotcha. Yeah big difference. I’m going to check around and see what I can get a old under dash unit for. I found the post you referred to earlier and I wouldn’t mind trying to find a unit like you have.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Oh I gotcha. Yeah big difference. I’m going to check around and see what I can get a old under dash unit for. I found the post you referred to earlier and I wouldn’t mind trying to find a unit like you have.

You can find those ARA units on eBay occasionally. You just have to make sure you pressure test the evaporator for leaks before your get to far into the install. The fan switch and the thermostat switch are still available. I replaced both of mine and oiled the motor while I had it out.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

I cleaned the fan, replaced the fan switch, and expansion valve, and cleaned the evaporator coils. I replaced the condenser with a larger parallel flow condenser, replaced the drier, and made all new nylon lined 134 compatible hoses for it. I got it all in, vacuumed it down, charged it up with 134 and I am getting -2 degree coil temps. It will FREEZE you out in the middle of summer.

Will have to go back and check that again myself. Them trails get hot some days :)