• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 Oil Dip Stick with Headers.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
My project 67 came with a shop built 289. I have it installed and getting ready to get it started. The dip stick tube does not fit well around the headers. I have bent it to where it started into the pan. then tapped down into the pan. Now the dip stick will not go all the way down, it stops about where it enters the pan. I am wondering if I need to drop the pan and mod it. It just does not seem to work as it should. I also bought a stainless braided tube that would not enter the pan because of the O rings on the tube. It also seems to short.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is this the press fit dipstick tube into the Bronco pan? The Bronco pan also came in threaded tube in some years. Someone will chime in and say what years got what, I forgot.

Aftermarket stainless braided tube, is this Bronco specific? That might be for an in block dipstick tube (late model engine, goes in just above the oil pan rail) or in the timing cover (early model car with front sump pan). It could very well be wrong for a Bronco application.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I had the same problem with my long tube headers so I made it a lot longer worked out great 3/8 steel line fuel line New from the cast-iron fitting in the pan all the way up pass the air cleaner

Attachments

• 88B17AF9-4B40-4DE5-A948-D6AF4AF627E3.jpeg
    88B17AF9-4B40-4DE5-A948-D6AF4AF627E3.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 15

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The tricky part of that is getting the tube length correct for the dipstick being used so it will read correctly. I've done that in the past as well. Took a 5.0 mustang engine, took the pan off with the dipstick still in place, made a note (long lost) of what the oil level below the pan rail should be. Then I could make a new threaded in dipstick that was at the correct level. Aftermarket pan with added kickouts, had to go off the height measurement.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
The tricky part of that is getting the tube length correct for the dipstick being used so it will read correctly. I've done that in the past as well. Took a 5.0 mustang engine, took the pan off with the dipstick still in place, made a note (long lost) of what the oil level below the pan rail should be. Then I could make a new threaded in dipstick that was at the correct level. Aftermarket pan with added kickouts, had to go off the height measurement.
I made a 12” longer tube and a dip stick to match from a van dip stick

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
This is like everything I am doing with this Bronco. I have to just make it fit. The nowhere mounting tab broke off and then the tube started into the pan hole. I then taped it into place. I wrapped it with high heat cloth then used a hose clamp and clamped it to the header. I dumped 6 qt. oil into the engine. The oil level came up about 6 inches on the stick and was marked. I will start the oil pump until I get some the oil pumped through out the engine. After the oil settles I will mark the dip stick or maybe shorten it up. I just have to make it work.