• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

F100 wheels for Bronco

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
Hello, my people. I’ve found some factory steelies off a 1978 F100. They are 15x6, with correct bolt pattern for my 1974 Bronco. Any reason to believe they shouldn’t fit or work on my baby? Don’t know backspace. I recall the wheels on the Gen 1 Bronco may have been the same as the F100s???

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All I know is the bolt pattern is the same and so should be the center bore to fit over the hubs because both four-wheel-drive versions of the trucks use the same size hubs.
No idea what the offset differences might be, but I bet they’re pretty close. I’m sure you would not be the first person to use pickup wheels on a bronco and vice versa.

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
All I know is the bolt pattern is the same and so should be the center bore to fit over the hubs because both four-wheel-drive versions of the trucks use the same size hubs.
No idea what the offset differences might be, but I bet they’re pretty close. I’m sure you would not be the first person to use pickup wheels on a bronco and vice versa.
Oh yeah. What about backspace?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
They will be close. not a lot of differences in back spacing for any of them from that era. The specs were very similar between the trucks and bronco's.

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
UPDATE: I am still waiting on the F100 wheels; 16x6 with 3.75” backspace. But I found some others measuring 16x7 with 4.00” backspace. My truck is uncut with a 2.5” suspension lift. The end goal will be 32x9.50 tires. Anyone have any advice? Wait on the first ones or grab the second with .25 wider backspace, but also are an inch wider? Am I splitting hairs??? Thanks, all!!!!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
235/85-16 is fairly close to those dimensions 31.7" tall and 9.25" wide at the tread. I personally would do the 16x7, not 100% original spec for a 16" bronco wheel but opens you up to other tire options without being too wide, the 16x6 wheel is closer to correct but visually the look will be close to identical mounted up on the truck, neither should have issues with the rear fenders.

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
235/85-16 is fairly close to those dimensions 31.7" tall and 9.25" wide at the tread. I personally would do the 16x7, not 100% original spec for a 16" bronco wheel but opens you up to other tire options without being too wide, the 16x6 wheel is closer to correct but visually the look will be close to identical mounted up on the truck, neither should have issues with the rear fenders.
And what about the backspace? I’m bringing the wheels/tires 3/4” closer to the truck with the wider wheel. Is that a concern?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t think you’re getting 3/4 of an inch closer.
Yes you’re gaining a half an inch on each side of the mounting surface, but back space is not offset. Backspace is a hard number so if one wheel has 3/4 of an inch of backspace and the other has four, it doesn’t matter how wide the wheel is you are still only moving the wheel rim edge 1/4 inch closer to the inside.
All the rest of that additional inch of wheel width goes to the outside.
So three-quarter inch farther out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which is why I always prefer talking in backspace measurements rather than offsets. Backspace is a hard number and easier to calculate things in my head at least.
Until I lose concentration and get it wrong!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So what does everybody think about the leading edge of the rear wheel well opening with either of those wheel combinations?
The tires and wheels both are narrow enough, and the offset/backspace is far enough in on both I believe, but given the presumed overall diameter, is it going to be rubbing on the leading edge with the stock axle location?

Even if we assume a smaller diameter of, for example an actual 31 inches, is that gonna rub on that front corner of the rear fender?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

for sure on the bolt pattern..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I don’t think you’re getting 3/4 of an inch closer.
Yes you’re gaining a half an inch on each side of the mounting surface, but back space is not offset. Backspace is a hard number so if one wheel has 3/4 of an inch of backspace and the other has four, it doesn’t matter how wide the wheel is you are still only moving the wheel rim edge 1/4 inch closer to the inside.
All the rest of that additional inch of wheel width goes to the outside.
So three-quarter inch farther out.

right...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Which is why I always prefer talking in backspace measurements rather than offsets. Backspace is a hard number and easier to calculate things in my head at least.
Until I lose concentration and get it wrong!

measurements three times or more then make the correct assumption..