• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Relocating Warn winch solenoid box

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I've never liked the solenoid box mounted right in the middle of my PreRunner bumper.
Is there any reason I couldn't use a couple of starter solenoids to relocate the wiring under hood?

Thanks,
JB

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve moved a bunch of them. Remove the control box and open it up. Place it where you want it and then replace the cables with appropriate length cables. You will need 2ga welding cable, correct size cable lugs, heat shrink tubing, a lug crimper and split loom to protect the cables from chaffing. As Gnpenning stated you can change to an Albright Contactor switch, they are smaller, it’s just a bit more work. What ever you decide, do not use starter solenoids, they are not rated for enough duty cycle.

For example mine is mounted to the frame behind the grill and radiator.

Attachments

• 190F3DBF-027A-40F0-86D1-3B8E377B756C.png
    190F3DBF-027A-40F0-86D1-3B8E377B756C.png
    630 KB · Views: 35

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure. The control box for the rear winch I installed is up inside the rear corner of the bed and I added control lines to make it possible to control from driver seat too.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
My dream would be to have the solenoids or realize under the hood, and both the toggle control Plus the remote plug inside the truck. I think I'll make it happen, thanks for the replies! I'll have to look into Albrecht relays!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Keep the original solenoids. Just relocate and use longer cables of the same gauge.
Starter solenoids are shorter duty cycle.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My dream would be to have the solenoids or realize under the hood, and both the toggle control Plus the remote plug inside the truck. I think I'll make it happen, thanks for the replies! I'll have to look into Albrecht relays!
I could control both front and rear winches and my line locks from my gear shift lever.... shifter.jpg

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Here’s the controls in my bronco. Right on the back for the shifter housing. The shielded switch “arms” the in/out switch so there’s no accidents. It’s the only controller I have in this truck, don’t have a place or carry a hand held pendant, only time I find it to be an issue is when I’m by myself spooling it back up. My Jeep Truck has a plug for the pendant under the hood and controls in the cab, but it tends to get used for farm stuff and often alone so it was more of a priority.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 23

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Just saw this. Used an Albright reversing contactor mounted to the bottom of the core support. Can just barely see it below the winch mount bracket and the fairlead extension bracket. Made my own control pendant (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYSBZPL/?tag=cbama-20 + https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7AX1AL/?tag=cbama-20) with a plug at the front of the truck (visible below, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SLM8LT5/?tag=cbama-20) and another under the dash (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036ZA94S/?tag=cbama-20).
I used 120VAC plugs and sockets because of their high R&R cycle reliability and they had the required number of conductors.
i-25ghx74-L.jpg

Those Squad Pros are due to get moved up, I ran out of time before this last trip and had to whip together those temp brackets.
Somewhere near Tonopah:
i-wwkRrdV-L.jpg

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Hmmmmm, I've never liked the bulky box on my Warn either. Never thought about relocating it. Would like to see pics once done.