• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about limited slip

Anewway

Think I'm having an axle issue I haven't been able to diagnose. I've been pushing my 68' with factory front/rear limited slip differentials back and forth under a carport at a slight angle. When there's any angle in the steering the Bronco becomes hard to push and feels like one of the axles is binding. It's momentary and with an extra shove and a pop the Bronco moves but feels like there is some mechanical friction to overcome.
Is this normal for a limited slip axle? Or is something else going on?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of and a maybe...
Sorry, but they can act weird sometimes. However at this age and potential mileage, the clutches are usually well worn and hardly grip at all. That's the normal part and most people complain they don't do what's expected.
But even at this age (do you know how many miles?) if the oil is mostly gone, was improper to begin with, or is just low and the clutches have dried out, it's very possible that this is a normal action.

Maybe someone with more experience with older ones that have sat for awhile will know for sure.

Paul

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a factory LS in the front of mine and it lets you know it is there. I'm assuming the front hubs are turned in when you are attempting to push it to and fro, if not, then you should only be feeling effect from the rear LS if that is indeed your culprit.

OP
OP
Anewway

Anewway

Paul- Mileage is around 75k and come to think of it I haven't filled the front axle after rebuilding it.

.94- Hubs are unlocked when pushing it. That's the thing I can't tell if it's the front or rear.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the hubs actually release when they are in the unlock position, then it won’t be the limited slip in the front.
It can be the alignment angles changing and causing higher rolling resistance of course, but without the axles actually turning inside, the differential has zero effect no matter what type it is.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As Paul stated, hubs unlocked, that axle is a non-issue. You could have a full spool in there or all the gears welded solid and nothing moves and it won't change how it rolls.

It could very well be the rear limited slip. The springs holding pressure on the clutch pack and it sticks. Takes an extra bit of effort to break them loose. It is pretty common on motorcycles as well. They have a clutch pack soaked in oil very much like a limited slip. There is a spring that keeps the clutch engaged. Let them sit and the clutch sticks together. If you every had one where you drop it in gear and it goes, that is a stuck clutch. I had one once that if it sat you better start by putting the transmission in 2nd gear and better be holding the brakes. A lot of bikes will do it to a lesser degree, the first drop into gear after starting it goes in hard, after that it shifts normal. That is the clutch braking free. Just because you pull in the lever doesn't mean the frictions that have been squeezed together for several weeks will actually release right away. Takes a little running to get some oil between the frictions that has been squeezed out while sitting still.

OP
OP
Anewway

Anewway

Totally makes sense about the front axle not causing it with the hubs unlocked.
Wonder if the truck sitting for the last 40 years caused the clutches in the rear to stick a bit. I'll change the fluid in the rear axle and see if that and more movement frees it up some.