• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best front and rear end starting from scratch

eou_edu

I recently acquired two bronco projects that came as one lot. One is a 69 that is as rusty as they get. I don't think most people would consider it restorable but hey it has the title with a VIN. With that came another frame with the title, and most all the parts to put it together another bronco minus the drivetrain (engine, transmission, transfer case, front and rear ends). The intent of the previous owner was to put together 2 for one. But I'm starting to think why build one when you can build two for twice the price? First step is finding a front and rear end on the frame. I've thought about putting the 9" and dana 30 from the rusty one on, but starting adding up everything that would need to be done to them: bearings, seals, disc brakes, ect. I'd rather start with someone in a little better shape.

My biggest concerns are cheap, easy to find, easy to fit, disc brakes front, similar to a bronco 58" width. Here's a few options I've thought of. Feel free to chime in and correct me.

-76-77 ford f150. Sounds like the easiest way to go 65" wide but can make up some width with backspaced wheels but they are hard to find!
-isuzu drivetrain. was looking good at first 58" solid, until I figured out they didn't make a solid front axle. Still the rear is dana 44 on many
-jeep cherokee dana 44 rear swap. Only put dana 44 in cherokee for 3 years. 60" width, but either settle for a dana 35 front or find another front the match
-Variety of jeep options TJ dana 60.5" width 30 and 35 seems to be common
-Rubicon TJ dana 44s with factory lockers and 4.10s. I won't see of road much but I also don't say no to free lockers
-wagoneer dana 44s swap. Seems to be a slew of info on what years had drivers drops and what years went to a much wider.
-chevy dana 44s. Much more common much cheaper, many more disc brakes years. could bolt an NP205 with a different drop side but that is getting pretty hodge podged
-dana 60 front. Having looked into it much but not that interested in it. Not sure they make one narrow enough and don't off road anyway.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I would think that cheapest is the one you already own.
Sure you have to work on it, but you’re talking about getting them out of a junkyard, so you’ll be lucky to not have to do anything to a unit found there anyway.
Not to mention having to change all the other stuff to suit a bronco!

A driver side drop 44 would probably be easier to retube than to source a different transfer case for. Or have to buy a different transmission or adapter to make work.

The radius arm wedges are available separately so I would think retubing would be relatively easy. Or again, just back to renewing your existing one.
With no off Roading in mind and without big tires planned, there’s nothing wrong with a Dana 30.
And yours already fits a bronco…

OP
OP
E

eou_edu

Well, I would think that cheapest is the one you already own.
Sure you have to work on it, but you’re talking about getting them out of a junkyard, so you’ll be lucky to not have to do anything to a unit found there anyway.
Not to mention having to change all the other stuff to suit a bronco!

A driver side drop 44 would probably be easier to retube than to source a different transfer case for. Or have to buy a different transmission or adapter to make work.

The radius arm wedges are available separately so I would think retubing would be relatively easy. Or again, just back to renewing your existing one.
With no off Roading in mind and without big tires planned, there’s nothing wrong with a Dana 30.
And yours already fits a bronco…
I should add i don't really want to use what I have because i have the potential to have two different broncos if I don't use it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How bolt in do you want it to be? How are your fab skills?

Full width dana 44 with Bronco style 5x5½ bolt pattern you have not mentioned, early 2000s Dodge half ton. They have a driver's side drop like a Bronco has. And very much forgotten about. And bigger rotors as well.

So many options. Many of which will depend on what you have, what you can find (for cheap), and what you want the final product to be.

OP
OP
E

eou_edu

Full width dana 44 with Bronco style 5x5½ bolt pattern you have not mentioned, early 2000s Dodge half ton. They have a driver's side drop like a Bronco has. And very much forgotten about. And bigger rotors as well.

So many options. Many of which will depend on what you have, what you can find (for cheap), and what you want the final product to be.
Fab skills no problem. I'm new to broncos but restoring cars is nothing news to me. That is a new one to me. So early dodges had a dana 44 front end as well?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Early Dodge is like early GM, IH, Jeep and everyone else except Ford. The early years only Ford used a Driver's side drop front diff.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
no offroad use?
you don't need a straight front axle.. do a late model rack and pinion front with A-arms.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if it was mine and starting from scratch I would be cutting down a later model e-350 van rear axle and build a dana 60 front, but I have no clue of where to start with a dana 60 that is actually avalilble with the hopes of keeping everything alive with 37" tires off road. dreaming of getting an axle that hasnt been built in 30 years is not really a viable option.

OP
OP
E

eou_edu

Any idea how wide the dodge half tons wms to wms is? I couldn't seem to find it on the google.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No numbers. Comparable to any other half ton full width. It really is the forgotten Dana 44.
You may not be able to run 15" wheels. I recall they come (don't know all years) with big 13" rotors. I know there have been attempts at putting the big rotors on a Bronco Dana 44 in the past but they did not happen for reasons unknown to me.