• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine/Carb rebuild

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
Having my stock 302 rebuilt and I'm weighing swapping in something like the Edelbrock preformer cam. I've read about the timing and I've seen threads about recurving the distributor (which I'm still slightly confused about).. with these potential changes, are there any changes that would need to be made within the carb when we rebuild that?

I'm keeping the factory motorcraft 2150.. I'm trying to keep the build mild for reliability and economy sake. Vehicle is going to be 99% street. I'm not sure it matters but I'm putting a wide ratio toploader in it, 4.10 gears, 32-33 inch tires.

Thank you!

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Having my stock 302 rebuilt and I'm weighing swapping in something like the Edelbrock preformer cam. I've read about the timing and I've seen threads about recurving the distributor (which I'm still slightly confused about).. with these potential changes, are there any changes that would need to be made within the carb when we rebuild that?

I'm keeping the factory motorcraft 2150.. I'm trying to keep the build mild for reliability and economy sake. Vehicle is going to be 99% street. I'm not sure it matters but I'm putting a wide ratio toploader in it, 4.10 gears, 32-33 inch tires.

Thank you!
I’m not sure if I would keep the 2-bbl carb if you’re changing cams. I remember a previous (‘72 EB) that went to an edlebrock intake and a performer cam. It seemed to me to struggle with the stock carb. Also the fuel economy improved when I upgraded to a Holly 4-bbl…not a heap better, but I was cheap then and every bit helped. Can’t remember what model Holly, but I was running .410s and 35s. Hope this helps

Randy

OP
OP
NickMcAFP

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
I’m not sure if I would keep the 2-bbl carb if you’re changing cams. I remember a previous (‘72 EB) that went to an edlebrock intake and a performer cam. It seemed to me to struggle with the stock carb. Also the fuel economy improved when I upgraded to a Holly 4-bbl…not a heap better, but I was cheap then and every bit helped. Can’t remember what model Holly, but I was running .410s and 35s. Hope this helps

Randy
Was anything changed on the stock carb or was it just reinstalled? This is honestly why I'm asking. I don't want to get the thing back together and have it acting up.. I wonder if a rejet or something would have helped the stock carb?

The main reason I'm entertaining swapping the cam is because the engine is out. Now seems like the time to do it IF I'm going to do it but if it's going to open a huge can of worms I'm not sure it's worth the headache.

Thank you!

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your gonna change the cam do the comp cams hydraulic roller conversion or keep it stock. The Hydraulic roller has many advantages justifying the costs (especially not needed to burnish the cam upon initial break-in).

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Was anything changed on the stock carb or was it just reinstalled? This is honestly why I'm asking. I don't want to get the thing back together and have it acting up.. I wonder if a rejet or something would have helped the stock carb?

Thank you!
It was rebuilt, but not rejetted. Maybe if it had been rejetted??? I do know that the smaller orifices on the 4-bbl burned less fuel than the larger ones n the 2-bbl that were always flowing.

Randy

OP
OP
NickMcAFP

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
It was rebuilt, but not rejetted. Maybe if it had been rejetted??? I do know that the smaller orifices on the 4-bbl burned less fuel than the larger ones n the 2-bbl that were always flowing.

Randy
That does make sense

OP
OP
NickMcAFP

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
If your gonna change the cam do the comp cams hydraulic roller conversion or keep it stock. The Hydraulic roller has many advantages justifying the costs (especially not needed to burnish the cam upon initial break-in).
I looked up hydraulic roller conversion in the forum search and my head basically exploded. I need to find some information I'm not using to purge from my brain before I can make the room to understand what is going on with this and the implications of the conversion.