• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mercedes diesel conversion

EB70

There is a guy here who posts sometimes who has a completed swap with a C4. He is over towards Grants Pass Oregon. Really nice guy. He claims low 20's for MPG and pushes 35's. His EB is grey and I have seen it at Florence and again at the TOMS get together. He's pretty sharp.

BroncoBrown73

Loc.
Santa Rosa
I've actually had to abandon the ZF trans. Way too effin' big. The downpipe would either have to go entirely under the bell housing, or out the hood. Going back to my original plan to use a Toyota R150/1F

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
He may have been doing an electronic IP'd engine.

at about 38 psi those rubber couplers won't hang, even with beaded tubes. BT, DT on this turbo-charger test stand:
i-JD4Nzjx-M.jpg
Basically a jet engine, correct? Leaf blower starting it.

Scott

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
An extremely poor performing, highly fuel inefficient gas turbine engine. We could burn 55 gallons of diesel in a little less than 6 hours, and only make heat and noise with it. check out the DIY Gas Turbine Engines group. They used to be on yahoo, not sure where they moved to when yahoo did that stupid thing.

BroncoBrown73

Loc.
Santa Rosa
Any progress?
Not yet. Waiting for parts to arrive. The ZF is too big to fit between the frame rails comfortably, so i'm gonna sell it and get a R150F from a 5VZ-FE 4Runner (driver's side drop on the case). But I have all the parts on the way to do pretty much everything else. Also, stay tuned for this new intake manifold that just got released. Total game changer (basically solves OP's problem)

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Toyota trans - t/c assemblies tend to be long. The rear drive-shaft might be an issue with that choice. Jeep used Aisin trans' in some of the XJ's, one of those may be shorter - dunno. There were two versions and if memory serves one is a W series and the other is an R series. I think those have the NP231 t/c behind them.

OP
OP
H

hcetretsam

Reviving this dead thread in the hopes that OP will see it. I'm in the process of doing the same swap myself. '97 NA-T OM606.
My biggest question right now is how did you block off the factory cooling ports when you did the oil filter relocation? My factory ports are just held in by O-rings and clamping pressure, and I don't trust them not to leak.
I'm also curious why you had to modify the stock intake manifold. Did it get in the way of the steering (I haven't fitted my engine up with the manifold ye
Yeah, the OM606 is a 6 cylinder. I got it mostly fit up in the engine bay last night. With the head against the firewall, I had about 5 inches from the front of the pulley to the radiator. Like I said, just need to modify the crossmember so the engine sits low enough to clear hood. Luckily my radiator support isn't cut because I need every inch of space available between that and the grille to fit the intercooler.
I've definitely heard of the vacuum pumps being weak spots, even on the OM606. It wasn't until the W210 that they upgraded the pump internals (Diesel Pump UK's Youtube is a valuable resource for these motors). The thing I don't like about the 617 though is that it's not a crossflow engine.
Reviving this dead thread in the hopes that OP will see it. I'm in the process of doing the same swap myself. '97 NA-T OM606.
My biggest question right now is how did you block off the factory cooling ports when you did the oil filter relocation? My factory ports are just held in by O-rings and clamping pressure, and I don't trust them not to leak.
I'm also curious why you had to modify the stock intake manifold. Did it get in the way of the steering (I haven't fitted my engine up with the manifold yet)?
Hey bud I’m still around. Just pm me any questions.