• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch fork pivot feels sloppy……video

DC_Gearhead

So, I’m getting my Bronco on the road after 20 years in a barn and 5 years of work. I’ve only gotten about 8-10 miles on it and I’m starting to get things all adjusted and working. All new brakes, suspension, etc. I get the brakes all figured out and proportioned nicely, it stops on a dime now. At that point I checked the seat belts too!! LOL.

I didn’t do any work to the 3 speed other than new poly mounts and adjustments for the Duff floor shifter. After my 3.5” suspension lift and 2” body lift, I installed one of those WH adjustable rods that goes from the pedal through the floor. All I did was install that to get it feeling right on the foot. Fast forward to the test drives…….I felt like the clutch was engaging too quickly (short distance from the floor) so I read the posts on how to adjust the clutch and decided to do that today.

When I took the boot off and released the spring, the fork feels loose and sloppy in all directions. I see the crease in the fork where it pivots, but it just doesn’t feel right to me. Is the fork really that loose or am I missing a piece that holds it in place? I see some holes just above the pivot crease but they are empty.

Can someone that knows these Broncos clutches tell me if this is normal or not?

I’m going to try and upload a 10 second video……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrdrnac

Contributor
PS Early Broncos used 2 different type of clutch forks and their respective attachment pivot clips, you have the bail wire spring type.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

PS Early Broncos used 2 different type of clutch forks and their respective attachment pivot clips, you have the bail wire spring type.

Two followups:
Assuming I can put the spring in without dropping anything, correct?

If it is gone, it probably fell into the bell housing. Anything I should be worried about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrdrnac

Contributor
Sorry, I can't advise on that style, never worked on one, replaced all the parts on mine when I did the clutch ......so had it all apart, good luck!

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

All adjusted and clutch engages at the right spot now, but that anti-rattle spring is missing……

Anybody have advice for this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

I read on some mustang forums that people sometimes leave out the spring since it is a pain to get installed.
Seems like it is optional.

66BlueGoose

Contributor
The spring goes inboard of the pivot point on the bell housing and does provide a little bit of stabilization. I have taken many apart, half the time they are missing. It would be really hard to put in without unbolting the trans from the engine. If you have the proper adjustment on your the push rod and the proper return spring, it should be pretty stable with out.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

The spring goes inboard of the pivot point on the bell housing and does provide a little bit of stabilization. I have taken many apart, half the time they are missing. It would be really hard to put in without unbolting the trans from the engine. If you have the proper adjustment on your the push rod and the proper return spring, it should be pretty stable with out.

Thanks for the info BG. After the pushrod and pedal adjustments it really feels good and operates/engages smoothly. Sounds like it will be fine….we’ll see.

broncobuddha

OP, what did you do exactly to adjust the clutch? My clutch, now....after doing a 1" body lift is really stiff and doesn't engage until the pedal is almost fully released and it's slipping.

Nothing is binding underneath that I see.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this with the new longer rod, or not yet?
If without the new rod, it might have to do with the Z bar angles, as was mentioned in your other thread.

broncobuddha

No, haven't installed the new rod yet. Just got delivered last night. Thinking I might get to it this afternoon.

The plan is to pull the old rod, measure it and then start the new rod at about 1 1/2 inches longer and see how it goes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a plan.
Just replied to your other thread so hopefully someone that's used one has some insight.

Paul

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I‘m in the Process of installing a new Blueprint 306, so I just installed the fork with new throw out bearings and new clutch. Believe me it was a major PITA to slide the fork spring clip into the tab located on the bellhousing, I mean it took over an hour to install. But once it is in place correctly the fork became rock solid with no slop.