• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixing up my 1970 Bronco, where do I start?

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
Really is amazing how much the nickle and dime stuff adds up.

I did an engine refresh a few years back, pull engine, never took the heads off as I knew I would get into a full rebuild if I did. Gaskets, aluminum high rise intake, cam, lifters, timing set, oil pump, and rolled in some fresh bearings. Few more odds and ends. It was $1k, and that was before the prices went nuts. This was a get it running without drooling all the fluids all over the ground. Intake was a big chunk of that, but still all that little stuff adds up.
I'm doing a frame up on mine (Squinge = younger brother = easier project).. it's absolutely nuts how fast the budget dries up. It's also nuts how hard it is to find parts right now. I'm waiting indefinitely on the inner tail lamp pocket section.

OP
OP
S

Squinge

Hey folks. Just want to thank you all for giving Nick and I all of this info. We'll get started working on the damn thing in good time. I may even post progress reports from time to time if it strikes your fancy. Thank you to everyone who helped contribute to this, We'll keep you all posted on the progress. :)

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m kind of in the same position with my ‘77. My list for ‘roadworthy’ is as follows: (1) new brake lines and brake shoes/pads as it applies to vehicle.
(2) new fuel lines. (3) drop gas tank(s) and clean or replace.
After that is done, I’m not sure it matters about the order in which done.
At least that’s my humble opinion.

Randy

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Yes add lots of pictures for this group ..
& the more post & reports you put on here the more help you'll receive.
I've been watching on here for almost 20 years I believe & through out that time I've seen many a new member drop out & While other new members become total leaders on out forumn.
SO JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET.
Only drive it as much as you can before starting a frame off.
I feel no one should Be allowed to start a frame off without have driven their BRONCOS for about 2 Years .

WELCOME ABOARD.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Start with planning to a visit to as many Bronco events as you can. You don't need to take your Bronco just get there anyway you can. make a photo album of your bronco take as many pictures as you can of the good and the bad take this collection with you to the Bronco event. You will learn what you want and how to achieve what you desire. people here are very giving and for the most part don't bite. enjoy your adventure. we are entering Bronco season so events have already started. you didn't post what state or city where you live. you may have a very helpful group near by.

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
PXL_20220615_223306261.jpg PXL_20220615_223229210.jpg PXL_20220615_223225537.jpg

Finally rolled the Bronco into the garage and started cleaning it up. Looks like we might already have a couple preexisting upgrades here?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, a few. And the extra happy turn of events that shows a few critters might have made it their home and took care of it very well!

The power steering was added.
The Dura Spark ignition was added. Or just "Breakerless" in this case it looks like, since it's got the older design distributor cap. (nice that it's got a Motorcraft module too)
Not sure what the can/reservoir thingy is above the steering box. Is that a filter for the power steering, or just an additional reservoir for added capacity? Or perhaps a fuel filter / water separator maybe?
Steering column is from a '76 or '77 Bronco, unless it's tilt? If it's a tilt column it was sourced out of a full-size truck of later vintage.
Edelbrock carb is probably the newest thing under the hood. All the other stuff looks pretty vintage and like early upgrades.

The ignition module looks to have a Green grommet maybe? That's the plastic wire strain relief where the wires come out of the box. Can you check out the color and let us know? If it's green it's probably right out of a factory '74 or '75(?) truck or car. Early distributor, early module, with factory style coil and "horseshoe" connector. Lots of early adopter stuff there. Pretty cool.

Double check that there is a working PCV valve in the back corner of the passenger valve cover. A '70 would have had the valve there and the oil filler cap on the driver's side would have had the vent connected to a factory air cleaner housing. Your hose end looks modified from original to be more like a later style. But not sure.
What air filter was on the carb?

Congrats on getting it home. Time to clean all the years off of it now!

Paul

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
Yep, a few. And the extra happy turn of events that shows a few critters might have made it their home and took care of it very well!

The power steering was added.
The Dura Spark ignition was added. Or just "Breakerless" in this case it looks like, since it's got the older design distributor cap. (nice that it's got a Motorcraft module too)
Not sure what the can/reservoir thingy is above the steering box. Is that a filter for the power steering, or just an additional reservoir for added capacity? Or perhaps a fuel filter / water separator maybe?
Steering column is from a '76 or '77 Bronco, unless it's tilt? If it's a tilt column it was sourced out of a full-size truck of later vintage.
Edelbrock carb is probably the newest thing under the hood. All the other stuff looks pretty vintage and like early upgrades.

The ignition module looks to have a Green grommet maybe? That's the plastic wire strain relief where the wires come out of the box. Can you check out the color and let us know? If it's green it's probably right out of a factory '74 or '75(?) truck or car. Early distributor, early module, with factory style coil and "horseshoe" connector. Lots of early adopter stuff there. Pretty cool.

Double check that there is a working PCV valve in the back corner of the passenger valve cover. A '70 would have had the valve there and the oil filler cap on the driver's side would have had the vent connected to a factory air cleaner housing. Your hose end looks modified from original to be more like a later style. But not sure.
What air filter was on the carb?

Congrats on getting it home. Time to clean all the years off of it now!

Paul
At first I thought the can thing was a remote oil filter but finding the actual oil filter cleared that up. The lines disappear under the engine it looks like. I'm going to go back with the creeper from my house and poke around underneath at some point in the next week. I can check the ignition module and PCV at that point.

I'm 95% sure the column doesn't tilt.

The air filter was missing but there's a cutout for an aftermarket round filter in the hood. It has, what I consider to be, a traditional bronco scoop attached to the hood. Everything about this truck is what I consider "Bronco".. I'm sure my perception is being colored by how my father introduced me to them though.

I find the suspension really interesting. My 75 had an older Duff lift on it. Looked almost exactly like what Duff is still offering now. This looks different.. any info would be appreciated.

PXL_20220615_223909836.jpg
PXL_20220615_224344134.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As far as I know, blue springs were almost exclusively Duff stuff. Not that someone can't paint theirs that way of course, and with the extensive failing of the paint/powder coating and rust, it could have been either way.
The dual shocks were always an aftermarket option, including from Duff and every other Bronco and non-Bronco specific vendor. Many still carry that exact setup in fact. Slowly going by the wayside for newer designs, but still viable.

The shocks are KbarS which was a well respected Las Vegas shop. They sold Duff products as well as others, if I remember. There are some great KbarS stories here on the forums, with some original work done by them and owned by current forum members, as well as one or two very cool tribute trucks with KbarS livery.
The front shock was longer because it would travel in a longer arc as the suspension cycled.

Definitely a classic hood scoop. Probably tied for most common with the lower profile Mustang/Torino hood scoop that most of the hot-rod shops sold back in the day.

Maybe the canister is a replacement charcoal canister? I don't think so, but you never know. I've seen that exact part before I'm sure of it. But what or where I do not remember. Just that it's been a very long time since I've seen one. Might not even have been on a Bronco. Could easily have been from another vehicle originally.

Looks like you have a body lift too perhaps. You can tell by looking at the body mount insulators/bushings/cushions and see if there are multiple pieces on top of the mounts, or if they're taller than 3/4" then you have a body lift.

Paul

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
As far as I know, blue springs were almost exclusively Duff stuff. Not that someone can't paint theirs that way of course, and with the extensive failing of the paint/powder coating and rust, it could have been either way.
The dual shocks were always an aftermarket option, including from Duff and every other Bronco and non-Bronco specific vendor. Many still carry that exact setup in fact. Slowly going by the wayside for newer designs, but still viable.

The shocks are KbarS which was a well respected Las Vegas shop. They sold Duff products as well as others, if I remember. There are some great KbarS stories here on the forums, with some original work done by them and owned by current forum members, as well as one or two very cool tribute trucks with KbarS livery.
The front shock was longer because it would travel in a longer arc as the suspension cycled.

Definitely a classic hood scoop. Probably tied for most common with the lower profile Mustang/Torino hood scoop that most of the hot-rod shops sold back in the day.

Maybe the canister is a replacement charcoal canister? I don't think so, but you never know. I've seen that exact part before I'm sure of it. But what or where I do not remember. Just that it's been a very long time since I've seen one. Might not even have been on a Bronco. Could easily have been from another vehicle originally.

Looks like you have a body lift too perhaps. You can tell by looking at the body mount insulators/bushings/cushions and see if there are multiple pieces on top of the mounts, or if they're taller than 3/4" then you have a body lift.

Paul
I don't believe it has a body life. If you are going off the front bumper that's sort of an illusion. The bumper sticks outward further than stock because of some welded on extensions. I assume it was maybe outfit with a winch at some point in it's life. I can crawl under and check though.

The Bronco originated on the west coast. My father always spoke highly of K bar S. I have some fiberglass fenders from them in a box.. maybe they will end up on this truck one day.

I know on my 1975 my father installed the lift himself and it was a Duff lift and k bar S shocks. The shocks on that setup mounted to a big aftermarket hoop though that was bolted onto the frame.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, shock hoops were the next iteration of the dual shock setups.
I saw that bracket under there and my first two thoughts were either "winch" or "tow-bar" mounting.
Do you remember ever seeing a tow-bar on there?

Paul

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
I saw that bracket under there and my first two thoughts were either "winch" or "tow-bar" mounting.

Paul
No I don't believe it had one when my father got it. The extensions are maybe 5 inches. There's some metal plating hanging down behind the bumper possibly for something to sit in?

The truck was kitted out for wheeling. It has Detroit lockers front and rear.. it's quite the tank.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Paul
There was only a ~2 year window when K-bar-S had shock hoops. It was just before they moved out of there old shop, about '97 and when they closed up. It looks like that was built up in the mid 90's from the style and parts in the build. Been a really long time since I saw those foam spring inserts.

Hint for you. Don't try and run fuel through that old spin on filter. I've seen old filters like that come apart when fresh fuel hits them. The filter media is now garbage going into the carb. The fuel lines looks like generic parts store rubber. Probably falling apart on the inside. If not just flat out brittle and ready to snap and fail.

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
There was only a ~2 year window when K-bar-S had shock hoops. It was just before they moved out of there old shop, about '97 and when they closed up. It looks like that was built up in the mid 90's from the style and parts in the build. Been a really long time since I saw those foam spring inserts.

Hint for you. Don't try and run fuel through that old spin on filter. I've seen old filters like that come apart when fresh fuel hits them. The filter media is now garbage going into the carb. The fuel lines looks like generic parts store rubber. Probably falling apart on the inside. If not just flat out brittle and ready to snap and fail.
What was the purpose of the foam inserts?

We're going to replace all the hoses and everything before we try to really run it. Is the filter something we should be replacing or just eliminating? Is there a modern equivalent like this thing or is this setup junk now?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There were various methods over the years, from polyurethane donuts to airbag bladders, to shore up the springs.
Some were added simply to act as progressive bump stops, some as additional weight capacity devices. And probably for other reasons as well.
With varying degrees of success, most of them worked to a certain degree.

Probably don’t see them much anymore because people don’t need them anymore. They’re either not bouncing around on Desert roads, or carrying heavy loads, or looking to stiffen up the front for better handling on the road.
And shocks are a lot better now too, so they help take up some of the slack.

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
OK so I had some time this morning and put together a list of what "I" would be looking at doing and the cost of the parts. This list is rather extensive but I think it covers most items for a rig that's been sitting for 20+ years. Note, this may be overkill and not all things may need replacing. So kind of look at it as a worst case scenario that all of these parts would need replacing eg. fuel tanks, radiator etc.. Some may be fine with just a flush/good cleaning.
I use Wild Horses because they're local to me. Our Bronco vendors carry mostly the same parts and prices don't vary much between the vendors so you may want to use the vendor closest to you to save on shipping cost. I didn't include any shipping cost on the list and that's going to be a big factor in some of the items.
I've also included item numbers from Wild Horses. Some may not be correct as there are some variables that you would need to clarify such as - front and rear axle size.
I've also assumed that you would be doing this work yourself so no labor is included in (varies so much by region it would be a waste of time anyway to try and estimate).
There may be more and I'm sure others will chime in on things I've missed.

ActionParts $W/H Part #Part Source
Engine
BatteryReplace
$120.00​
Local
PlugsReplace
$30.00​
Local
Plug WiresReplace
$40.00​
Local
Distributor Cap/RotorReplace
$30.00​
Local
Pertronix upgradeReplace
$87.00​
8080​
Wild Horses
Oil/FilterChange
$45.00​
Local
BeltsChange
$30.00​
Local
Cooling
HosesReplace
$35.00​
5023​
Wild Horses
ThermostatReplace
$27.00​
5058​
Wild Horses
RadiatorService
$380.00​
5013​
Wild Horses
Heater CoreReplace
$50.00​
5218​
Wild Horses
Heater Core HoseReplace
$40.00​
5203​
Wild Horses
Anti FreezeReplace
$30.00​
Local
Fuel
Tank-mainService/Replace
$160.00​
9707​
Wild Horses
Tank-auxService/Replace
$190.00​
9797​
Wild Horses
Sending Unit-mainReplace
$60.00​
9711​
Wild Horses
Sending Unit-auxReplace
$60.00​
9711​
Wild Horses
Tank-Filler Tube mainCheck/Replace
$35.00​
9706​
Wild Horses
Tank-Filler Tube auxCheck/Replace
$40.00​
9746​
Wild Horses
Carburetor/Edelbrock 1406Rebuild
$22.00​
Amazon
Air CleanerReplace
$20.00​
Local
Fuel FiltersReplace
$25.00​
Local
Soft LinesReplace
$40.00​
Local
Fuel PumpReplace
$38.00​
8023​
Wild Horses
Brakes
Front Drum-Full Rebuild KitService/Replace
$310.00​
3070​
Wild Horses
Rear Drum-Full Rebuild Kit LGService/Replace
$290.00​
3070​
Wild Horses
Master CylinderReplace
$80.00​
3089​
Wild Horses
Soft Lines - MCReplace
$70.00​
3199​
Wild Horses
Soft Lines - FrontReplace
$64.00​
3177​
Wild Horses
Soft Lines - RearReplace
$64.00​
3189​
Wild Horses
Misc
Wheel Bearings front D-30Service/Replace
$85.00​
8856​
Wild Horses
Wheel Bearings rear Lg BearingReplace
$80.00​
8625​
Wild Horses
Rear Axle Seals Lg BearingReplace
$18.00​
8634​
Wild Horses
TiresReplace
$1,250.00​
Local
U-Joints - GreaseService
$20.00​
Local
Differential Front GasketReplace
$6.00​
8960​
Wild Horses
Differential Rear GasketReplace
$10.00​
8677​
Wild Horses
Transfer Case GasketReplace
$10.00​
8594​
Wild Horses
Differential OilReplace
$55.00​
Local
Transfer Case OilReplace
$24.00​
Local
Manual Transmission OilReplace
$12.00​
Local
Total Parts $
$4,082.00​
Tax @ 10%
$408.20​
Good Upgrades
Front Disc BrakesReplace
$745.00​
3005​
Wild Horses
Front Drum Kit CreditCredit
-$310.00​
Front Wheel Bearing CreditCredit
-$85.00​
Tax
$35.00​
Total Disc Upgrade
$385.00​
Project Total w/disc upgrade
$4,875.20​
Project Total w/o disc upgrade
$4,490.20​
nicely put together!

CDABronco

I got my Gandfather‘s 1970 Bronco this winter and I noticed I have the same, or a very similar, front shock setup on it. It has been preserved in the Arizona desert for the last half century and has zero rust on it. I just got a WH 2.5” lift kit for it, should I keep dual shocks up there or just go back to a single shock? If I do go single shock do I need to replace the shock tower back to the original? Cheers