• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any newer stereo setups?

broncobuddha

Hey all.

(DISCLAIMER: Yes I searched and most of the threads I found with setups pre-date Bluetooth technology, lol. Oof. I mean people talking about iPod Nanos and stuff. Lort)

Had my bronco for 25 years and the last 20 or so have been without any kind of tunes whatsoever and it's getting old.

When I first bought mine someone had installed a crappy tape head unit and one 3 way speaker to the underside of the dash. They just sort of hung there.

I bought a Tuffy console (with the built in space for a upward mounted head unit and even some of their 6x9 security boxes (never used them).

I keep thinking it would be nice to have a head unit in there, one with BT and maybe even a slot for a thumb drive. But....seems in this day and age I'd just need to stream my phone to the system and a head unit wouldn't be needed. But then I'd need to be able to mount a phone holder to the dash so I could control things.

Yes, I'd prefer to do this cheaper. Yes I'm aware you often get what you pay for. I'm not an audiofile so I'm not incredibly picky. Just want something that sounds nice with enough power to play over the road noise. I rarely have my top or doors on (except in winter).

So, things need to be waterproof.

Based on what I've been looking into here's what I'd need:

Amp (mounted in glove box or under pass. seat
Sub (possible 2nd amp)
2 wakeboard speakers mounted on the roll cage at the rear
Possibly 2 more speakers either at the cage right behind the front seats or something mounted forward of the wheel well.

This may be a dumb question, but without a head unit, what would I actually be blue tooth connecting to when multiple speakers are involved?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Bluetooth speaker/sound bar is nice IF you have a way of mounting it. I installed a Dual XRM59BT Single Din in my Samurai. It's only 2 inches deep so would fit the Bronco really nicely. It's bluetooth and has voice controls....Just set it up and when you get in the phone attaches and your off and running......I have a similar Dual in my Bronco. Neitehr the Bronco or Samurai have an antenna hooked up. I just use it to play XM from the phone app

Tim

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I personally don't like the wakeboard speaker look but that's just me. Wetsounds has some good sound bars / speakers that are waterproof and you can just stream music from your phone. I've thought about mounting this under my rear seat.

Be careful in selecting those unless you like the hassle of having to manually turn it on every time. They dont have a power trigger and you have to physically push the power button on the front of them. If under the seat that is a pain. I put one in only to realize it afterwards. I hate it!

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Timmy, what's your speaker/amp setup with that?

I like the bar idea but as you said if you have to manually power it on, that wouldn't be ideal.

I figure the head unit would be where to go cheap on and spend more money on the speakers, wires, subs, amps etc.

The main reason I thought of the wakeboard style speakers is mounting to the cage should be a breeze.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Timmy, what's your speaker/amp setup with that?

I like the bar idea but as you said if you have to manually power it on, that wouldn't be ideal.

I figure the head unit would be where to go cheap on and spend more money on the speakers, wires, subs, amps etc.

The main reason I thought of the wakeboard style speakers is mounting to the cage should be a breeze.
No amp...I just have some cheap speakers in the floor under my bench seat. My rig is more utilitarian than most on this site. :)

Tim

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

And did you all use universal harnesses to wire to the bronco or just direct wire?

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
Be careful in selecting those unless you like the hassle of having to manually turn it on every time. They dont have a power trigger and you have to physically push the power button on the front of them. If under the seat that is a pain. I put one in only to realize it afterwards. I hate it!
I'm glad you said something about that, I was thinking of going this route but am not going to want to climb in the back to hit that power button every time. hmmm...maybe a long stick lol. wonder if there's a way to wire it up to turn on with key on in ignition, but then that would definitely void the warranty....

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
To be clear, you do have to turn on, but the buttons are on the front so if it's under the rear seat so its a reach around, and not that bad. That said, I would rather have it integrated into the vehicle better.

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
I am installing a BT amp in the trunk of another car with very little room for a head unit. The BT amp will just stream from my phone. It's very small but powerful. You would still need speakers of course.
Blaupunkt AMP 1804BT

trekgurl

I'm no stereo person,, so when I wanted to put a stereo in my eb, I used the retro sound unit in the dash (looks like an old radio) and it has BT and a bunch of stuff I haven't even tried,, but plays thumb drives of my music and it will connect to my iphone etc etc,. Some people don't like the antiquated interface,, but its fine for me. As far as the speakers, the guy who was putting it in ask me what I wanted and I said, I want to be able to hear it at 65mph, open half cab or no top, with headers and shorty pipes and he did just what I asked for. He built a box behind the seat, (I'm running a two seater only), two 8inchers in the ends, one 10 inch sub firing straight down, 600 watt Kenwood amp and (2) small 3.5inchers in my dash. It will make your ears flutter at 65mph and you have to turn it down. All of it is Marine grade stuff,, but I try not and let it get drowned if I can help. it cost me 1k to have it done. What's nice about this is its loud inside and right outside its not so loud, unless you wanna it to vibrate panels or something. I was thinking getting two more speakers at the back, that I can swing out and tailgate party, on a separate smaller amp. Not being a stereo person originally could probably disect this puppy and make my own now.

View attachment 884704 View attachment 884705 View attachment 884706

BPerry

I went this route, not hard at all. The wakeboad setup is temporary. But the tweeters and hideaway sub are set.

Dash wash already cut.
20220623_175805.jpg 20220623_175719.jpg 20220623_175815.jpg 20220623_175859.jpg

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Great thread. I've been struggling with what to do for a radio in my build. I have zero dash space for a head unit. Thinking maybe the console but then there is how to run the wires. I was looking at the under dash console panel that I think wild horse sells but I'm not sure if that's enough space. Surely by now tech has changed and there is something new out there.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

Any new options/updates for Bluetooth audio systems to be used with my phone for the stock radio location?

I am looking to install a small head unit, amplifier and likely can speakers in our '70.

I have Crawl Tunes cans and amplifier in our '71. I'm not sure if they are still in business. (I haven't received a reply to my message.)

If I don't locate in the stock location, I'll be looking for ideas about dressing up the stock radio cutouts.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jeff

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Very true on the turning it on and off each time. I have a high end one in my UTV from Wetsounds and it does the job but not even close to what I'd want in a car I drive a lot.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Hi Everyone,

Any new options/updates for Bluetooth audio systems to be used with my phone for the stock radio location?

I am looking to install a small head unit, amplifier and likely can speakers in our '70.

I have Crawl Tunes cans and amplifier in our '71. I'm not sure if they are still in business. (I haven't received a reply to my message.)

If I don't locate in the stock location, I'll be looking for ideas about dressing up the stock radio cutouts.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jeff
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...z-10kBjwOMC7awvgF_CwIxMLolPjv554aAngtEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk