• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 / AA HD output

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
My Dana 20 J shift transfer case has always shifted perfectly. I recently installed an Advance Adapter heavy duty tailshaft. It was pre assembled.
I installed a new Tom Woods driveshaft. The transfer case started jumping out of gear. I installed new detent balls and springs. It still jumps out of gear.
I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I callled AA as well as Wild Horses, both said that the new tailshaft would not be the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

mrdrnac

Contributor
Not long ago, Advance did have some tailhousings shipped out that had end play of .020 or so, that is too much and can cause your popping out of gear problem. This output shaft is usually now assembled so it has preload on the bearings and not end play. Likely yours needs to be reshimed and reset.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What he said, just because it is new doesn't mean its right.
Rear output end play is the most common cause of popping-out. (Rear high into neutral)

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I
Thanks I'll call them tomorrow. It would be reasonable to think that they would have stopped selling the early ones as soon as they discovered the issue. It did not come with a gasket. I called WH to see if needed one. they said just use sealer. Would this make a difference?
I also checked the new spring and balls that I also purchased from WH. It popped out again when I installed the new springs. The springs are 5/64" shorter.
I shimmed the springs to the correct length. I'll check to see if that was it tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

mrdrnac

Contributor
Another thread where same issue was discussed.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I
Thanks I'll call them tomorrow. It would be reasonable to think that they would have stopped selling the early ones as soon as they discovered the issue. It did not come with a gasket. I called WH to see if needed one. they said just use sealer. Would this make a difference?
I also checked the new spring and balls that I also purchased from WH. It popped out again when I installed the new springs. The springs are 5/64" shorter.
I shimmed the springs to the correct length. I'll check to see if that was it tomorrow. Thanks for your help!
The sealant is not an issue, Ask for Geno when you call AA I think he is the guy that knows the most about the Bronco stuff.

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I
I talked with AA. They said all of the troublesome assembled output shaft assemblies were off the shelves. The t case did not jump out of gear today. Maybe a simple fix, at least for now. Thanks for all of the advice I appreciate it.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
FYI, Wild Horses (as well as the other Bronco houses) has our adjustable detent kits if you want to fine tune your detent pressure.

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
FYI, Wild Horses (as well as the other Bronco houses) has our adjustable detent kits if you want to fine tune your detent pressure.
Thanks, have some of those I just haven't put them in. It went back to popping out of gear. I may just put the factory tailshaft back on and see what happens. I also have a rebuilt D20 ready to install. Can't decide where to start.