• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chopped, slammed, bagged, tubbed, lowered floors, 418 w/blower, 6r80, 1/2 cab, Bronco Hot Rod

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The parallel is all about AS (Anti Squat). Links being parallel horizontally are very neutral. Makes the car feel planted in turns. It is not however ideal for a drag racing, it will perform like most IRS cars, reliant on inertia for a large amount of weight transfer. It does drift nice though lol. It is also very predictable.

Gary I tried, he’s bound and determined because of the packaging box he has created, you are correct that would be much more tunable. No offense Brian, love the build! Keep at, I love the build.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
HAHA! I'm good. I give it out alot, I can take it too! lol

If I had Gary's Torino I'd do it too! :)

I've seen his Torino and it's gonna be killer but he's got about a football field more space than I do to work with!

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Is ExcelCAD still floating around out there? If so, I'd set it up and use it to design the linkage.

A Watts shouldn't take any more room than a panhard bar, just more complicated and harder to make the low side chassis anchor rigid. How much wheel travel are we talking about, 5"-6" total? Not sure that there is much to gain with a Watts unless you just can't make the panhard bar long enough.
Than again, I'd go with a WOB link before I'd do a Watts, just because no one has ever heard of it. Unless you're a reader of Allan Staniforth's.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I used to run a WOB link on my 72 2wd K5 with the factory control arms, I felt it handled much better than the factory track bar. Didn’t know at the time what it was called but it worked lol

TAC71

Contributor
Read about that WOB link when I worked at a race shop years ago in a Racecar engineering book. Never seen one being used in person though.
Just because the aftermarket sells a lot suspension kits and frames doesn't mean they work. I have had to modify many of them to get them to perform. Granted a portion of them were installation faults or wrong setups.

To be clear Brian, are you after cornering or more light to light blitzes?

With that much engine and little weight in the rear you will want some mechanical advantage on the rear for traction IMO.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I want BOTH! :)

Compromises... always compromises!

I have no idea what WOB is, WOT yes! lol

Gary- I want to be able to move quickly from one farm to the next :) but I want it corner really good. I can see having more fun corning than the few times I will try 1/4 ET's.

thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I can get the IC towards the front of the bellhousing but nowhere near the top of it.

Slight angles like less than 2deg on the lower and it gets the top & bottom links to intercept towards the front of the trans.

I agree that I will be able to spend a lot of time making smoke and not move but I'm not that interested in setting there going nowhere.

I would like it to launch and corner.

6" max travel in the rear. Most of that is to lower & level it for parking and to mactch the front.

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I agree that I will be able to spend a lot of time making smoke and not move but I'm not that interested in setting there going nowhere.
Don’t make the mistake that Paul (Fabrats) did. Nice long smoky burnout in the shop. Really made a mess. Fine black dust everywhere. :eek:

I have no idea what WOB is, WOT yes!
Related, WOT=WOB Wild ole Bronco. ;)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Ok...

I'm going to shorten the lwrs & uppers, try to get more than 35 deg on the uppers, lose more bed space and build in some adjustability for IC mainly.

I haven't been out in the shop but to take pics for Gary 3 days ago except this afternoon loading up a 5.0 & AOD that I'm hauling to Oregon on Wed.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
My friend Sherman just sent me this link with 'Triaged's ExcelCAD files: https://www.crawlpedia.com/4_link_suspension.htm Cutting electrons always seems smarter to me than cutting metal, but maybe you're well past this point?

I have a simple graphic showing how to fabricate a WOB link, but I'm doubting it's notational correctness and need to confirm that it is notated correctly. I'll post it if it is. Been thinking to model it in SW just to see what kind of travel path it produces.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
We're waiting... ;) be fun see it mocked up.

Only need 4 1/2" travel !!
Gone for a couple days then...

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So I'm in Longview with my brother and he says "what are ya doing"? ... as I'm kneeling in the parking lot measuring the upper and lower links of a TJ... hahaha!!! ;)

Looks like their links aren't any longer than what I'm putting on!!!

Lwr is sloped up at about 2 or 3% and the top looked level... lol

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Nothing like a few days off to get ya thinking about running a pan hard bar... My frame behind the trans is 6 inches wider than a stock Bronco frame. I could stuff a long panhard in there... I know I've been trying to save all available space for a tank but ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I decided that I don't want to sacrifice performance over losing some more bed space or gas tank capacity.

That said, I'm following the direction Steve and Gary have been pointing...

Got the lower links made yesterday- spot on identical. (Computer drawing and plasma or waterjet sure would make identical brackets easier to make. :)

90 degree side mount brackets today.

Summer makes it harder to get decent time in the shop.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So I ran out of oxygen on my oxy/acet setup because I was gonna bend this cool part on my front lower link mount and I couldn't believe I was out, so I buzzed over to my buddy's place to borrow his tank and yeah he's out too lol

Pic included!!! :) :) :)

Attachments

• 20220703_145022.jpg
    20220703_145022.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 19

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
So I ran out of oxygen on my oxy/acet setup because I was gonna bend this cool part on my front lower link mount and I couldn't believe I was out, so I buzzed over to my buddy's place to borrow his tank and yeah he's out too lol
There’s a saying we have in the south that applies to this kind of ‘situation’, and goes like this: “Snake bit and bound to die.” Lol.
Hate to hear you have run afoul with the supplies.

Randy

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
For sure Randy, inconvienent for sure but totally my fault! lol

I got all 4 lower link brackets made. Takes me a while since I literally cut steel by plasma, make it fit then make the 2nd one identical. Easy with waaaay cool computer CAD (not cardboard CAD Thom Singer) :)

Anyway, trying to make some progress.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Either CAD will get you to the finish line. Use the one that makes the most sense for that job. :)

I'm recalling why I made that old WOB drawing, it's because finding it in Staniforth's books is not trivial. So I'll post the questioned dwg and we can adopt it or tear it apart or whatever. I'm thinking that it could be reversed, what is noted as being the chassis mount could be on the axle, and what is noted as being the axle mounts could be on the chassis. I guess if I were better at math I could plot the travel path in Excel....... I'm more inclined to make some CAD parts in 1:1 scale and mark it out on the garage floor.
Made a SW model of it anyway, it a curious thing, the travel path is an arc with a small radius and it's concavity faces away from the linkage.

i-zPcBpw4-L.jpg