• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New RuffStuff Perch Installation & Angle Adjustment

mac0424

Loc.
NY
Hello all, to explain my situation, I'm currently working with just a frame (my tub will not be ready for 6 months). All of my welding is being done by my friend at his home shop and I work outside weather permitting, I have no garage yet.

I will have an uncut 77' with a 302, AX15, and Dana 20, none of which is installed yet. I plan on bolting on 32" - 33" tires.

My current project is with the RuffStuff EB perches and top plate.

With my configuration what if any angle adjustment should I make when welding on the new perches? I understand the springs should have the actual load on them, but I just can not produce that now and was hoping someone's past experience could help me now.

Also, I'm assuming that when utilizing the forward hole on the perch I have to use the forward hole on the top plate.

If anyone has had success with this modification I would appreciate any and all insight and instructions so I do this once.

Thank you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Following.
And yes, I'd say that the hole orientation you mention is correct. Whatever makes the u-bolts, plates and springs sit the most correct on the perches. No wonky angles in other words.

Interested in hearing what the others say about the angle change.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Once you specify your lift height, if any, you can add that to the standard axle to frame distance and set the axle relative to the frame for ride height, at which point you should be able to set your driveshaft angles fairly close. I imagine a come-along or some decent ratchet straps would get you there. I've never had a stock bronco, so I don't know wha they measure, but my '77 has a 3.5" CAGE lift and the distance between the top of the axle tube and bottom of the frame is 9.5", so that would imply 6" from the factory if the lift height on the springs is to be believed. That said, mine is a little higher in the rear (or lower in the front) and raked forward a bit, even with a hard top and spare tire in the back.

If it was mine, I'd set the ride height, tack the spring perches in place, and call it good until you've had a chance to install the rest of the drivetrain and everything is ready to be fully welded, as it sounds like you've got a lot of stuff to do before it's driving still.

Tobin

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe he will be running a 1 1/2 inch lift, plus the different transmission.

You are correct that the approximate measurement in the back is 6 inches at stock height. Give or take a half an inch or less.
So they would be looking for a distance of 7 1/2 inches between the frame and axle with the springs compressed as you suggested with ratchet straps or some similar method of compressing springs with weight or tension.

The concern I have would be the slight change in running gear length due to the transmission swap.
So a recommendation of just tack welding it is appropriate I think.