• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer Gear Wearing Out After 50 Miles

Tuck73

Contributor
I have replaced the speedometer gear twice. The second time, I replaced the speedometer cable as well. I can go about 40-50 miles and it will quit working. I pull the gear and it is worn just enough that it won’t work. It’s not completely chewed up but more worn. I purchased the gear from Tom’s. How do I know if I need a 6 or 7 spline gear? I’m assuming g the one from Tom’s is the wrong one or else I have a bigger issue. Also, the transfer case has recently been rebuilt.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Might be something wrong with the drive gear on the output shaft. If you remove the driven gear you can inspect the drive gear. That's the gear with either 6 or 7 teeth. If it's plastic it can be identified by color. If it's steel you'll need to remove it to identify it.

To replace the drive gear the entire transfer case doesn't need to be removed and disassembled, just the rear output housing.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Viperwolf has a wonderful chart that shows what gears work together for a given tire size and axle ratio. Since you will be replacing both gears to resolve this issue just pick the pair that are best matched to what you have (or plan on changing to)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viperwolf has a wonderful chart that shows what gears work together for a given tire size and axle ratio. Since you will be replacing both gears to resolve this issue just pick the pair that are best matched to what you have (or plan on changing to)
Good point. speedo gear chart.JPG

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any chance there is an issue with the cable? Could be causing an increase in friction that eats up the plastic gear.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely check the cable.
Even a new one could feel perfectly good when you’re spinning it by hand but if it’s just slightly too long, then when you put it in it could be binding.
Granted, it’s unlikely you had two cables with the same problem, but it’s not impossible.
Especially if both are replacements?

OP
OP
T

Tuck73

Contributor
Any chance there is an issue with the cable? Could be causing an increase in friction that eats up the plastic gear.
I have a new cable. I’ve tried three gears. Two on the old cable and one on the new. Same issue on both.

OP
OP
T

Tuck73

Contributor
I will try to look at the drive gear this weekend. Not sure what I’m looking fo but will give it a shot.

MikeCon

I have replaced the speedometer gear twice. The second time, I replaced the speedometer cable as well. I can go about 40-50 miles and it will quit working. I pull the gear and it is worn just enough that it won’t work. It’s not completely chewed up but more worn. I purchased the gear from Tom’s. How do I know if I need a 6 or 7 spline gear? I’m assuming g the one from Tom’s is the wrong one or else I have a bigger issue. Also, the transfer case has recently been rebuilt.
Did you pull cable out of shield and lube it? White grease

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing. I believe that all of the different driven gears with the different tooth counts are compatible with both tooth counts on the drive gear.
Could be wrong, because that's been just an assumption of mine, but I have not heard of anyone not being able to swap both gears around to achieve the desired ratio for their new differential gear ratios and tire sizes.

Paul

69_Sport

There are two types of these Ford gears. The difference is in the angle of the teeth. There are left hand and right hand styles. You can tell the difference by holding them up next to each other and examining the teeth. One will curve to the right, the other one to the left.

Are you sure you have the correct one? You may have one with the correct number of teeth, but the wrong style.

It has to do with the original use for the gear and which side of the transmission it was located.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There are two types of these Ford gears. The difference is in the angle of the teeth. There are left hand and right hand styles. You can tell the difference by holding them up next to each other and examining the teeth. One will curve to the right, the other one to the left.

Are you sure you have the correct one? You may have one with the correct number of teeth, but the wrong style.

It has to do with the original use for the gear and which side of the transmission it was located.
Thanks. This is exactly why posted the "rhetorical question."

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are actually 4 different speedometer gears, not counting tooth count. The two different helix directions, those depend on if the driven gear is located above or below the output shaft. The other one is the support nipple on the end, there is a short and a long version.
1657333654680.png 1657333693507.png

So long as you are getting parts from a Bronco vender there is nothing to worry about.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if you pull the gear out of the transfercase and leave it hooked up to the speedo how hard is it to turn yhe cable?

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT

This is the problem I had years ago. A vendor was selling the wrong pitch gears, which at the time I determined was for a 2wd manual transmission and not a 4x4 transfer case. I went through a gear in about the same amount of time as the OP and was baffled until I compared the replacement gear to my original and noticed the pitch difference.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it cable replacement time if the speedo bounces a lot? for example the needle goes up and down 30mph to 40-45mph driving at a constant speed