• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6R80 and 10R 80 trans with coyote swap question

gws34

What is the difference with the 2wd and 4wd versions of these transmissions? I believe the adapter kits say to use the 2wd trans, is this correct? What is the difference and why to use the 2wd setup?

Getting real close to purchasing the coyote and trans and then time for the fun swap!

Thanks
Glen

Jamie Chriss

I have the 6R80 from a 2017 F150 4x4. If you want to run a transfer case, there isn't an adapter for either a Mustang or 2x2 trans.

OP
OP
G

gws34

I thought it was the other way around and that you needed the 2x2 transmission. Thanks. I will make sure it is the 4x trans. The reason I was asking is because I found a decent deal on a motor tranny combo but it was a 4x case and I thought I needed the 2x. How much are you asking for yours? Where are you located.
Thanks.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I'm itching for the ten speed controllers to come out.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
What is the difference with the 2wd and 4wd versions of these transmissions? I believe the adapter kits say to use the 2wd trans, is this correct? What is the difference and why to use the 2wd setup?

Getting real close to purchasing the coyote and trans and then time for the fun swap!

Thanks
Glen
I wish that I had done more homework before I started my Coyote / 6R80 project.

Here's some things that I learned:

1. Coyote parts are expensive, and changed a LOT during the three Generations of Engine.
2. The engine and transmission are the cheap and easy part of the swap.
3. Very few in the Coyote Swap business is working to make things simple.

I ended up buying the 2 inch wider TDK custome mandrel bent frame...and I am VERY glad that I did. It enabled the Mustang Coyote headers to fit, and theres a ton more room so that you can clock the Dana 20 to allow the front driveshaft to actually fit. Do your homework here!

Do not listen to anyone that says you don't need to modify the oil pan if you have 2.5 inches of lift. If you use the BC Broncos Coyote engine mounts...the oil pan WILL hit the Dana 44 front housing on compression.
Do not listen to anyone that says you can use factory headers. You can, but you can have yours modified. But what they don't tell you is that the mod to the header costs almost as much as new headers. Ugh.
Do not listen to the people that say the front crossmember can be retained. Yeah, maybe...but my custom TDK front crossmember, with the pocket for the accessory drive, and room for the factory oil filter works GREAT!
The cost of the accessory drive, and getting a power steering pump is a BIG expense. You will need to figure out whose system you are going to use, and commit to it. I went with Power By the Hour. It is really good stuff. I used them BECAUSE they are the only game in town that will use your F150 ECM, and configure it to have the Built In 6R80 controller. That saves a ton of wiring, and eliminates an additional aftermarket transmission controller. The Power Pack is just the beginning. You must also have the correct transmission harness, the correct engine harness, and it has to be compatible with your body harness.
Factory starter motor works great with the extra wide frame.

I finally bought it all, and have it all here...and it's really nice.

PM me or e-mail jamesroney@yahoo.com for pics or other info. Hopefully someone can learn from my experience.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Well written and that's exactly what I've heard from many. All for a high rpm engine (I run one in my F150) . Not just my opinion but I'm a believer. lol Thanks for spending the time to write it up.

hossbronco

Contributor
If you’re doing a lot of trail riding, everyone I’ve talked to prefers the 6R80 to the 10R80 because, from what I hear the 10R80 tends to search for the right gear off-road. Also, pay attention to Gen 1 vs Gen 2 of the 6R80 as there are some differences (mostly improvements) on the Gen 2, though either should work. However, I would avoid any 6R80s from 2011-2013, as they have a potential solenoid/lead frame issue, and you might change out the lead frame either way as people on this board have experienced dramatic lead frame failures on even Gen 2 6R80s.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 10-speed is great when you have OEM parameters and can tune the shifts to match power and BSFC curves. There is a lot of tuning that goes into getting the shifts to the right gear at the right time. Full throttle tuning is easy, it is all the part throttle stuff that will take forever. If you have driven one, a trick Ford uses is skip shifting. In normal driving it doesn't even use all the gears.

For the hobbiest, the 6-speed will functionally be a better choice.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I did a fairly complete write up on the 6r in a tech article. I briefly discussed the drawbacks of a 10r off road. I haven't wheeled with a single Coyote built EB that uses it for severe wheeling. I'm sure there's a couple out there but I sure haven't seen or wheeled with any. I swapped a 6r into my Bronco years ago. I drive an F150 with a Coyote/10 spd. The combo in my F150 is great for the highway but you wouldn't want to be the guy trying to manually shift your 10spd off road oe have it sifting continually as your speed increases or decreases by a couple miles an hr crawling over rocks...nothing like slowly crawling up a rock or coming down a rock (or slope whatever), start moving a little bit faster and then the tranny shifts into the next gear on ya becauae the splits are so close...You'd only have one hand on the strg wheel the entire wheeling trip as you would be searching for the correct gear over every rock, every obstacle.

The skip shift on my F150 works good but that's around town.
10 spd gains ya mpg,
and keeps ya in the torque range and that's about it...
My .02 and I use 'em both

Jamie Chriss

Jason well said. After a few 1000 miles in might want a manual trans. I love the way the 6R80 drives but I find myself almost always driving in sport mode, the motor likes to rev high and drives best above 3500 RPM. I can't even imagine how a 10R80 would drive. Jason, I live in San Clemente, CA btw. Last thing I love my Coyote and would do it all over again I started my project 6 years ago and got her running for the first-time last year. I am on InstaGram earlyfordbronco 360 and the beginning of the project on this site. My Bronco is almost 100 percent new, so I didn't have to make some of the decisions others on this site had to make because I cut my Bronco into pieces and started new.

Attachments

• Bronco Pic 2.jpg
    Bronco Pic 2.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 22

nvrstuk

Contributor
I did a fairly complete write up on the 6r in a tech article. I briefly discussed what I thought were the drawbacks of a 10r off road. I haven't wheeled with a single Coyote built EB that uses it for severe wheeling. Like mentioned dozens of times here the Coyote makes it's power above 5K rpm. I'm sure there's a couple out there but I sure haven't seen or wheeled with any. I swapped a 6r into my Bronco years ago. I drive an F150 with a Coyote/10 spd. The combo in my F150 is great for the highway but you wouldn't want to be the guy trying to manually shift your 10spd off road. ( I don't think).

You'd only have one hand on the strg wheel the entire wheeling trip (shifting manually) as you would be searching for the correct gear over every rock, every obstacle. Full out desert racing might be a different story but slow stuff, I don't think having that many choices in an auto is useable.... this coming from a guy that had a minimum of 20 different gears to choose from 1999-2017. lol

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Jamie- I tried driving around in sport/manual mode in my 10r and it's a PITA... really is. You drive with one hand on the steering wheel and one on the shifter the entire time unless you are cruising down the highway or at a stoplight. I am in 8th gear 90% of the time before I hit 40 mph. Go 3 blocks and and if you don't stop completely you need to click the shifter 7 times to get it back to second then shift 7 more times for the next 3 blocks (or whatever short distance).

I gave up- it's not fun at all with the 10r. Gear splits are so close they aren't enough to hardly feel a shift. I don't use the sport mode at all in my Coyote/10r F150 but I use the manual mode in my 6r a lot as I put about 150-180 miles/week on my Bronco.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I finally bought it all, and have it all here...and it's really nice. But I would be happy to sell it all, because I really want a manual transmission.
Just thought I’d throw this out here if you haven’t run across it. Tremec T56 magnum. I think they have a model for the mustang crowd. A rear wheel drive transmission but there have been conversions done and Rockland Standard Gear adapts them to 4wd with a corvette tailpiece and another adapter on back of that. Would make a nice street monster but downsides to it are.
2.97 1st gear (Wide ratio, narrow is 2.66) Off-road would need a steep reduction or 4sp Tcase
Looks to be long. The corvette tailpiece is shorter than the 2wd but the extra adapter and shaft add to that.
It’s said to be expensive.
I have seen older T56 conversions on YouTube, one guy even cut part of the tail shaft off and welded a plate on for an adapter. Lot of work!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm still waiting for the 7-speed from the new Bronco to be swapped in.
Crawler 6.588:1
First 4.283:1
Second 2.365:1
Third 1.453:1
Fourth 1.000:1
Fifth 0.776:1
Sixth 0.646:1
Reverse -5.625:1
The Bronco's seven-speed manual is a Getrag unit, part of the company's new family of six- and seven-speed longitudinal manuals that it calls MTI550. The 550 stands for its torque capacity in newton-meters, which equates to 406 lb-ft, although the company tells us that limit can go all the way up to 590 lb-ft, depending on application.
That much overdrive will limit it to smaller tires and a lot of axle gear. Considering the new Bronco comes with up to a 4.9:1 final drive factory anyway. Swapping into something that has more drag and needs more gear will mean a lot of axle gear, well into the 5s.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Somebody will have to make a SBF to funky 2.3ltr adapter for it for sure. Wonder if the market will be there? Is the 2.3l a different bellhousing pattern than the 2.7??

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Somebody will have to make a SBF to funky 2.3ltr adapter for it for sure. Wonder if the market will be there? Is the 2.3l a different bellhousing pattern than the 2.7??
Are they an integral bell housing or separate? The Tremec‘s are tranny only but have different versions for Ford, Chevy, etc. If they sold through Ford Performance, wonder how many $$ it would be? The Magnums can be up around 3600$. 700 lb-ft

nvrstuk

Contributor
SS- if it's a Ford trans you can bet it will be the hardest to adapt to anything and be the most expensive!! lol

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
Are they an integral bell housing or separate? The Tremec‘s are tranny only but have different versions for Ford, Chevy, etc. If they sold through Ford Performance, wonder how many $$ it would be? The Magnums can be up around 3600$. 700 lb-ft
Tremec makes the TR-4050 5spd manual for 4x4 with SBF and Modular bellhousings...Its 6.16, 3.11, 1.71, 1.00, 0.76 ratios and rated for 600ft lb...I looked long at hard at putting one behind a coyote but opted for the 6R80.

nvrstuk

Contributor
The tr4050 5 spd sounds like similar gear splits as a ZF (essentially an NP435 with an OD). I'm sure it shifts tons better tho, weighs tons less, and tons quieter too!