• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer OBD2 Harness Re-work

chuzie

Bronco Guru

Green_Bastard

Lots and lots of digging today for diagrams. I compiled what I found in PDF below.
1998 Explorer 5.0 engine diagrams and connectors (C202 pinout is incomplete. If anyone has the rest, please reach out!)
2001 Explorer 5.0 engine diagrams and connectors

BSQUARED, looks like the pinout you supplied is another variation, but will help me fill in some holes. Thanks.

Gonna print them both and start looking for compatibility issues trying to mate the 2001 and 1996.
Here are the 98 diagrams that EFIGuy sent me a few years back. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 98Reverse.jpg
    98Reverse.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 98Start.jpg
    98Start.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 109

Green_Bastard

Those are great. I actually prefer that format to what Ford does. Wish they were higher resolution though. Thanks.

I agree, the resolution could be better. When I was doing my conversation I had to blow these up on my monitor several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78cumminscrew

Does anyone know how to get ahold of Gary? I’d like to get a harness and ecm sent to him. I can wait 3-4 months on turn around if needed. I haven’t even started on the truck yet.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Hey kids, it’s been a long time since I’ve chimed in. I figured I’d pop in for a minute to give you all an update. I’ve heard some crazy rumors as to why I have been absent. Things like medical issues, legal problems, got frustrated and quit, etc.

I have had some medical stuff go on that hampered productivity a bit, but meds seem to have me doing better now. I haven’t had any legal issues, but I have had to make some policy changes to make sure I stay legal. I never quit but I did TRY to take the summer of 2020 off to build my Bronco for Super Cel West. I failed, 2 years in a row. I’m not sure if the Bronco will make it this year either, but my wife and I will be there.

I was already insanely busy with a full time job, the EFI gig, and 3 project cars. Then the Rona hit and it was like a light switch. The flood of emails were overwhelming. I think everyone and their brother decided to drag out their old Broncos and start working on them. I found myself coming home from work and just answering emails before going to bed, not having time to do much of anything else. This lead to getting even further behind on harnesses and something had to give.

The first thing that needed to go was internet time. I quit going on to forums and limited my Facebook usage to only when ingesting or exhausting food. Eventually I went to only answering emails two or three days a week and working on harnesses or my Bronco the rest of the time. I’ve heard some people say that I seem short and rude in emails. That’s not my intent at all. I love to BS for hours on end about anything Ford. But, I type pretty slow and have tons of emails to answer so I keep it to just answering questions and moving on to the next email.

My wife and I also wanted desperately to get out of the city, to quit our day jobs and do the EFI thing full time. Most of the weekends in 2021 were spent traveling and looking for a place to make that happen. Well, I’m pleased to announce that it has finally happened! No more day job and I’ll be doing the EFI thing full time now, sort of.

I say “sort of” because it turns out when you move into an early 1900’s farmhouse that there is tons of stuff that needs done. A 40hr job would have me less busy at this point. But, emails are slowing down to normal levels now. I’m starting to get to harnesses again after the big move but focusing on them more at night and when the weather is bad. 106F today is the reason I’m inside writing this. When the weather is good there is so much to clean up around here right now that I just have to make hay when the sun is shining.

This place sat vacant for almost 2 years and the wind gets pretty intense here, it took the loft off of the barn recently. We’re also 20 miles from the nearest fire department. So, finding an old tractor, making it run, and mowing down all of the surrounding fire danger has been priority one.

I expect to be operating full time by winter and getting caught up on harnesses. There are some future plans for new products to help with swaps and performance add-ons along with some products that will make things easy for those needing to be emissions compliant. I’m also probably going to offer woven loom offerings as an add-on instead of just split loom along with a modular design option instead of passing wires through the firewall. I’ve also started doing some Coyote harnesses since control packs are on eternal backorder.

One of the biggest goals is to able to travel to the various Bronco events across the country with my wife and meeting more Bronco folks. We’re entertaining the idea of adding a dyno to the Bronco hauling trailer and taking it to the events. Also, since there is a decent sized shop building, I’m entertaining the idea of doing complete swaps and high end wiring jobs in the future. We just need to figure out if the extra insurance costs for both make sense financially, and which events would allow a vendor to bring a dyno on site.

So, that’s what has been going on with me. I’m looking forward to getting caught up on work, not having a wait list and having some free time and being able to contribute tech to the forum in the future. I’ll probably start doing more YouTube videos with tech when things settle down more as well. In the meantime, email is still the best way to get a hold of me (TheEFIguy at g mail dot com) My cell is still good too 720-58TUNEZ. My land line is not connected yet, but I will get it going again in the future.

Sabas

Garry, what don't tell me you have a life? :D:) Glad to hear all is well. my friend.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great to hear the news Garry!
Glad things are working and I hope the health keeps up with the activity level. Good luck on everything including the new roof and especially the shop and future goal reaching.
So just the best of luck in general.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Gary is the man. Helped me so much with my explorer swap. Gary I hope you achieve your goals. Good luck with that old house.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey kids, it’s been a long time since I’ve chimed in. I figured I’d pop in for a minute to give you all an update. I’ve heard some crazy rumors as to why I have been absent. Things like medical issues, legal problems, got frustrated and quit, etc.

I have had some medical stuff go on that hampered productivity a bit, but meds seem to have me doing better now. I haven’t had any legal issues, but I have had to make some policy changes to make sure I stay legal. I never quit but I did TRY to take the summer of 2020 off to build my Bronco for Super Cel West. I failed, 2 years in a row. I’m not sure if the Bronco will make it this year either, but my wife and I will be there.

I was already insanely busy with a full time job, the EFI gig, and 3 project cars. Then the Rona hit and it was like a light switch. The flood of emails were overwhelming. I think everyone and their brother decided to drag out their old Broncos and start working on them. I found myself coming home from work and just answering emails before going to bed, not having time to do much of anything else. This lead to getting even further behind on harnesses and something had to give.

The first thing that needed to go was internet time. I quit going on to forums and limited my Facebook usage to only when ingesting or exhausting food. Eventually I went to only answering emails two or three days a week and working on harnesses or my Bronco the rest of the time. I’ve heard some people say that I seem short and rude in emails. That’s not my intent at all. I love to BS for hours on end about anything Ford. But, I type pretty slow and have tons of emails to answer so I keep it to just answering questions and moving on to the next email.

My wife and I also wanted desperately to get out of the city, to quit our day jobs and do the EFI thing full time. Most of the weekends in 2021 were spent traveling and looking for a place to make that happen. Well, I’m pleased to announce that it has finally happened! No more day job and I’ll be doing the EFI thing full time now, sort of.

I say “sort of” because it turns out when you move into an early 1900’s farmhouse that there is tons of stuff that needs done. A 40hr job would have me less busy at this point. But, emails are slowing down to normal levels now. I’m starting to get to harnesses again after the big move but focusing on them more at night and when the weather is bad. 106F today is the reason I’m inside writing this. When the weather is good there is so much to clean up around here right now that I just have to make hay when the sun is shining.

This place sat vacant for almost 2 years and the wind gets pretty intense here, it took the loft off of the barn recently. We’re also 20 miles from the nearest fire department. So, finding an old tractor, making it run, and mowing down all of the surrounding fire danger has been priority one.

I expect to be operating full time by winter and getting caught up on harnesses. There are some future plans for new products to help with swaps and performance add-ons along with some products that will make things easy for those needing to be emissions compliant. I’m also probably going to offer woven loom offerings as an add-on instead of just split loom along with a modular design option instead of passing wires through the firewall. I’ve also started doing some Coyote harnesses since control packs are on eternal backorder.

One of the biggest goals is to able to travel to the various Bronco events across the country with my wife and meeting more Bronco folks. We’re entertaining the idea of adding a dyno to the Bronco hauling trailer and taking it to the events. Also, since there is a decent sized shop building, I’m entertaining the idea of doing complete swaps and high end wiring jobs in the future. We just need to figure out if the extra insurance costs for both make sense financially, and which events would allow a vendor to bring a dyno on site.

So, that’s what has been going on with me. I’m looking forward to getting caught up on work, not having a wait list and having some free time and being able to contribute tech to the forum in the future. I’ll probably start doing more YouTube videos with tech when things settle down more as well. In the meantime, email is still the best way to get a hold of me (TheEFIguy at g mail dot com) My cell is still good too 720-58TUNEZ. My land line is not connected yet, but I will get it going again in the future.
Thanks for the update, Garry!

Todd Z.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
glad things are going in a great direction for you!

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Garry, this is awesome news! Thanks for getting back to me yesterday about the VSS thing, appreciate your help and I'll send you that ECU when weather gets cold! :cool: -Mike