• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

flush h. core only

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
did not take out/replace or flush (while a closed system) my heater core when doing some work. Fresh motor, fresh radiator (mmm, I think...anyway, real clean).
Have not yet figured out a way to clean that thing B4 I plumb the silly-cone all back up (dont wanna get trash in the other components. Can't remember the last time I flushed coolant system, shoulda seen me get the dash nob'n HCV workin again).

Can you tell me a way to hook up some lines and get hot H2O & a flush product in there.
/OR/
otherwise clean w/o removal or running that stuff thru the otherwise bright'n shinny newness~
Gota power washer, a water pump I haul around the property/shop (rain water transfer, no town/city water), another car w/same heater hoses. All these seem poor ideas in THIS app...
May B someway to use one of those yellow plastic (& blk capped) Prestone kits (sold to put in-line for easier servicing. Seen them?).

'Preciate it.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you can remove both heater hoses from the engine and run water both ways through the heater core. I put the hose nozzle up to the heater hose. Just cold water. If you want to use a flush treatment or citric acid, do that first. Good luck

OP
OP
chrlsful

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
"...English..." HCV = heater control valve (like OCI=oil change interval or PCV= positive crankcase vent)

Thanks, that's an idea. Altho a 3 bay garage (2 lifts, room for 8 cars inside) we have no "running water" use a 500 gal holding tank/gravity, some rain water, a porta john, wood heat, etc. The 'standard garden hose' may work. See if I can just fill some caustic chems into the HC, tape (otherwise join) one of our garden hoses onto the HC line & run as slo as possible ('sump pump' we push water around has one speed). Not predictin much success due to the pump (got a ball valve I might put in to reduce pressure too).
Thanks for the idea. From ur avatar looks like we use our bronks for much of the same (work + income, less on transport/recreation/show/race) no?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if you look at thes diagrams you can use the engine to flush the core just disconnect the return line and plug at the end then start the engine and keep the radiator full as it pumps out the heater.

OP
OP
chrlsful

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Mmmm... I think I got the concept. Use engine as heater'n pump. I like that. Feed it the flush chem/water and open the other end (heater core return line) to atmosphere. Watch till its clear.
My problem is (if this is right) its abt $3.33/gal for some1 to pick up antifrez at the shop. The place is near the swamp & I'd hate to shoot it out to the fishies. Today I went to dump the 30 gal in the USA Dumpster & 4 racoon cubs scared the chit outta me. They musta gone in there smellin yesterday's lunch scraps'n got stuck. I opened the lid to screetches. Almost dumped a load (in more ways'n 1). A 2by nesteled to the bottom & they performed acrobatict on the way out lookin 4 Ma...