• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best route to stop body roll?

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
If your not really going to go offroad , look at add o, 200 bucks front sway bat hangs down a little , like a stock set up
I get a wild hair every now and then. I don't want to rule out off roading.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have Currie Anti Rock bars front and rear on mine. They are a fairly custom install on both ends,. They help a ton but I have coil overs all around so my sway was more than when I had leafs and coil springs. They take some custom fab and figuring but they work well. The TK1 racing bar looks interesting also.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I have Currie Anti Rock bars front and rear on mine. They are a fairly custom install on both ends,. They help a ton but I have coil overs all around so my sway was more than when I had leafs and coil springs. They take some custom fab and figuring but they work well. The TK1 racing bar looks interesting also.
I watched some video's on the RockJock by Currie but they were all for jeeps. Do you mind sharing pics?? I looked in your gallery and the Blue Bronco has the same JD suspension Im running now. Thanks

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
this is my opinion, bodylifts compounds the body roll affect.
focus on center of gravity stay low. Try to minimize the bodyroll before mounting a swaybar.
Great shocks helps also

everyone has a different tilt tolerance.

hossbronco

Contributor
this is my opinion, bodylifts compounds the body roll affect.
focus on center of gravity stay low. Try to minimize the bodyroll before mounting a swaybar.
Great shocks helps also

everyone has a different tilt tolerance.
A body lift may compound body roll, but wouldn’t a larger suspension lift be worse, pushing the center of gravity even higher? I guess the nice thing about a larger suspension lift is that it raises your swaybar as well, improving its mechanics.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
A body lift may compound body roll, but wouldn’t a larger suspension lift be worse, pushing the center of gravity even higher? I guess the nice thing about a larger suspension lift is that it raises your swaybar as well, improving its mechanics.
of course, but OP has a 3" SL and a 3" BL. a BL that tall on top of a 3" lift is a bit much

hossbronco

Contributor
of course, but OP has a 3" SL and a 3" BL. a BL that tall on top of a 3" lift is a bit much
I’m not going to argue against that. 6.5” is a ton of lift in an EB to clear 35s. I’m just saying that from a body roll standpoint the suspension lift probably contributes more to the problem than the body lift, though I’d much rather have the suspension lift.

That being said, if the body lift can be easily removed, that’s probably the simplest way to start to address the problem.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It can depend on the suspension lift.
The body lift raises the center of gravity but has no way to compensate for that. A suspension lift on the other hand can theoretically compensate for the higher center of gravity and additional body lean, by increasing the spring rate, or through the use of stiffer dampers.

Most variable rate front coils lose that advantage for the first couple of inches of travel, but then overcompensate by having a stiffer secondary rate than the original springs.
So you do get more compensation, but only after a certain point.
This presumes a softer than stock initial spring rate of course.

Most traditional leaf springs did increase the spring rate along with the amount of lift. So in the old days you also had more roll resistance with those lift springs. Lifted trucks often handled like they were on rails. But also rode like a tank.
The modern nine, 10 and 11 leaf packs however I’m just not sure about. They may very well still have an increased roll resistance and load capacity. Or they may not.
I just don’t know.

Even though their design details have reduced the overall ride harshness associated with stock type leaves, I don’t know if that means they are literally a softer rate or not.

That’s my take on it anyway. I feel a suspension lift can possibly help compensate for additional roll of the increased ride height, through the use of different spring rates.
Something a body lift just can’t do.

None of that takes into account any geometry changes having to do with track bar mounting locations and angles, and radius arm length.
Those add a whole new dimension of potential roll to a bronco.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
bodylifts are not needed, (my opinion) clearance what is needed before a bodylift becomes an option. cut fenders cut hood if needed.

he has a 3" SL. he also has a 3" bodylift, which he doesn't need (my opinion). im sure if he decides to ditch one of the lifts, it will be the body lift. there are many other options to clearance what is needed instead of installing a bodylift.
you can minimize bodyroll without fixing it with a swaybar.
correct shocks at each corner will also help minimize bodyroll.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. And yes, I know the body lift isn't needed. But pretty much everything on my Bronco isn't needed. :) But I can see how it may lower the center of gravity some. But on the other hand I like having the BL on because gives you so much more room to work on things.

I had the opportunity to drive her the other day and after looking at everything I would have to do to get a sway bar on this thing vs the actual body roll, I might can talk myself out of it and just deal with it. To be honest, I think I might let the ol lady drive it and see how she feels about it. Because she would be the only one driving it besides me. She drove it BEFORE the long arm install.

Its been a busy few days for me to do anymore research on it but going to look into the Currie install. Been watching another thread about 'anti rock' bars that aren't as intrusive to my lift as the normal sway bar. I just don't what way to go with it..:unsure:

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Here are the pics of the Currie bar I have.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Here are the pics of the Currie bar I have.
Thank you for sharing. After a ride on a rough road last night the ol sway was really showing its but. Did you have to do any modification to it?? Did it take out the sway??

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It helped alot with the sway. Definitely worth it. I had to cut and reweld and bend the arms to fit but that is it.

Reactions: kat

Big Slim

there are some cool ones new ones out now but I have not used these or seen them for a bronco yet. like the skyjacker rock lock swaybar, the Teraflex dual rate, or the G2 dual rate. maybe somehow retrofittable?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Skyjacker JFSBA10 rock lock is a sway bar that I am considering to use if needed. Some modifications needed for it to mount on EB.