• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W filling Transfer case with ATF

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Hey Trans guys,
I've got a 4R70 W in my street truck that keeps losing fluid. Apparently it's filling the transfer case with ATF to the point that it now blew out of the vent and the rear output shaft seal on the transfer case before I figured this out due to being completely overfilled. Now that everything is covered in trans fluid, I power washed it all off, degreased everything and drained the excess ATF from the transfer case. My question is, What seal would cause this issue? Does the 4R70W have an output shaft seal as well as the NP205 input shaft seal to keep the two from swapping fluids or is it just the one NP205 Input shaft seal that will need to be replaced? I've read some conflicting answers on some Ford Truck forums about some split ring seal on the 4R70W. I don't remember seeing any sort of seal in the back of the 4R70 housing when I mated it to the 205 Case. Thanks!

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
99%sure it’s only a seal in the transfer case and paper gasket between the 2.. just did a 02 f150 and that’s it was ..

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen this when people use the 4x4 4r70w with a dana 20 and you have to add a seal to the ZF adapter. But I thought on the NP 205 the T case had an input seal.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you do the conversion or did you buy the bronco with it already done?

Wes harden

Make sure the transmission vent and any hose attached are clear and open. If it is plugged when the trans get hot and builds pressure it will force trans fluid past that seal into the t case new or not. I have seen this many times.

OP
OP
DRBRONCO69

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks guys, I'll check the vent on the trans but I am 99% sure that it is good because it all came directly from the Mountaineer and it didn't have any issues until I put the NP205 behind it. The Mountaineer was running and driving perfectly without leakage. Sounds like I've gotta pull the T-Case and replace the input seal.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've seen a lot of 205's with the incorrect input seal. The parts store book shows a single lip seal, the correct seal has a lip and spring on both sides of the seal, that can be difficult to source. The easy solution is 2 of the single lip seals installed back to back. I've also had bolts in the bearing retainer come loose and do the same thing. This really is a fairly common issue. At least there are no parts in the 205 that are harmed with excessive amounts of ATF, just drain and refill.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a c4 that leaked into the Dana 20, and I never seen a transfer case so clean on the inside afterwords.

OP
OP
DRBRONCO69

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I've seen a lot of 205's with the incorrect input seal. The parts store book shows a single lip seal, the correct seal has a lip and spring on both sides of the seal, that can be difficult to source. The easy solution is 2 of the single lip seals installed back to back. I've also had bolts in the bearing retainer come loose and do the same thing. This really is a fairly common issue. At least there are no parts in the 205 that are harmed with excessive amounts of ATF, just drain and refill.

Like this one?

https://www.transmissionpartsdistri...43-np247-np249-transfer-case-input-seal-4435/