• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking Coyote swap shop in California.. or close

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, all the modern stuff is pretty cool.
You can get 90% of the way there with a Windsor, but I understand the allure of the newest stuff. Even if not looking for the most horsepower, the cool factor is pretty high.
However it’s such a tight squeeze I personally won’t consider one over or Windsor anytime soon. Just far too many things to modify.

I spoke to JGO earlier and he’s not able to do any at this time. He’s already full up building existing ones and does not do just simple engine swaps at this point.
He does full restorations, and high-end builds at that. He even mentioned that he probably wouldn’t put another coyote into a stock frame.
He’d rather go with a full aftermarket frame as he has done on several occasions.
So a dead end at the moment.

hummerdan

Appreciate it! I’m trying to find reputable places that have done a few of these. I am definitely not looking for the cheapest builder, but so far 70k+ seems crazy high. I am aware the cost savings options to get it down a bit, such as sourcing used parts, but I thought 35-40k would be more than sufficient for all brand new stuff and a seasoned builder to do the job. I could be outta touch though. We’ll see… I’ll keep digging for what’s out there.
Is the 35-40k you are estimating include parts and labor provided by the builder?

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Is the 35-40k you are estimating include parts and labor provided by the builder?
Yes, but I’ve come to find out, I’m probably just not caught up on current pricing. I’m getting quotes in the 55-70k range for the full swap, parts, and labor.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Yes, all the modern stuff is pretty cool.
You can get 90% of the way there with a Windsor, but I understand the allure of the newest stuff. Even if not looking for the most horsepower, the cool factor is pretty high.
However it’s such a tight squeeze I personally won’t consider one over or Windsor anytime soon. Just far too many things to modify.

I spoke to JGO earlier and he’s not able to do any at this time. He’s already full up building existing ones and does not do just simple engine swaps at this point.
He does full restorations, and high-end builds at that. He even mentioned that he probably wouldn’t put another coyote into a stock frame.
He’d rather go with a full aftermarket frame as he has done on several occasions.
So a dead end at the moment.
Thanks for checking! I think I’m going in a different direction. I think I’d be perfectly happy with just conversion to the 4r70w trans and pour the rest of my budget into a new paint job! I’d still like to find a builder to do all the work, but I’m guessing that job will be much more cost effective!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Remember shops will charge you for their time to track down parts, order the parts, box and unbox, in addition to doing the build.
If you bring in your own parts, generally there is a limited warranty with that. There is just not an easy way, to build projects these days...

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Remember shops will charge you for their time to track down parts, order the parts, box and unbox, in addition to doing the build.
If you bring in your own parts, generally there is a limited warranty with that. There is just not an easy way, to build projects these days...
Great point! I’m currently diving in the 4r70w vs 6r80 topic, but I’m comfortable finding all the necessary parts. Just need to find the shop that’s comfortable doing the swap!

hummerdan

Paint prices in So Cal are no joke. Finding a reliable shop that sticks to their timeline may be even more difficult. I trailered my bronco to 15 different shops and some guys didn’t want to touch it, others were months out and some just wanted way too much $. I’m still searching for a reliable shop

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Try BC Broncos in Tesxs they build the swap parts and started the whole mess.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Find someone to install a 2000 model 5.0 explorer motor and 4r70w efi in your rig. Super easy and basically a bolt in. I've done about 5.

You can buy a running and driving 5.0, 4x4, explorer 96-2000 for a few grand, let EFIGUY do a $700 harness work. Buy a $ 400 ZF transfer case adapter and be done in a day.

I'll do it for $35,000

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Find someone to install a 2000 model 5.0 explorer motor and 4r70w efi in your rig. Super easy and basically a bolt in. I've done about 5.

You can buy a running and driving 5.0, 4x4, explorer 96-2000 for a few grand, let EFIGUY do a $700 harness work. Buy a $ 400 ZF transfer case adapter and be done in a day.

I'll do it for $35,000

write up a DIYer and i'll tell ya if it's super easy

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA

I'll do it for $35,000
I am on my 5th Explorer EFI, done 3 Mustang EFI's... The one constant thing is the price for these builds (parts) continue to go up.
I bought a Tuffy center console box from WH's yesterday, the price in the catalog does not reflect the current price. The comment was, "Once we mail it out it is practically obsolete by the time you get it"
Tires and rims I bought a year ago for a previous build, went up $300 for a set I bought in June.
I keep a spread sheet on purchases, the increases are small on most parts, but as a whole it adds up.

syndicate1

Contributor
I think JGO does a lot of coyote swaps and he is in San Jose, CA. There is a very good builder/tuner named David Jensen in French Camp, CA. He has been featured on a TV car show "Junkyard Empire" I think. He is REALLY good at anything performance/tuning.

-Not sure what the Coyote hype is all about. I like my dated SBF, it performs more than well enough, and is much more reliable, less maintenance than a Coyote. If you want big juice, then just do a SBF 427. I know the best shop for building that motor at a very reasonable price considering what your getting. Easy to install too.

I live in the Bay Area. What’s the full name of JGO? I can’t find the shop on the interwebs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s not a shop. It’s a guy named Jim.
He’s probably not searchable as a professional builder. Everything he does is professional and then some, but he no longer runs the bronco based service company that he used to have.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He is searchable on this forum however. Just do a search for member JGO, find a discussion with him in it and private message him.
I’m not near my computer or would just give you his information.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I live in the Bay Area. What’s the full name of JGO? I can’t find the shop on the interwebs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send me a PM, and I'll have him contact you tomorrow. He's not hiding. He just wasn't available online yesterday. (mostly because we were on the road.)

I'm the guy that bought his last unfinished Coyote project. I'm almost done collecting parts, and the Coyote is now sitting in the Chassis. I've done my fair share of 5.0 swaps, but this is my first Coyote. I usually don't work for money. Maybe I should?

If you are in the Bay Area, you can stop by my place here in Fremont. I can show you first hand what to watch out for.

James.