• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Valve location

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
I am ready to replace my heater valve. My motor has been changed by the previous owner to a '93 5.0 liter efi. Does anyone have a picture of the heater valve installed? I would like to see exactly where it goes. I don't think my truck has a heater valve because there is always hot air blowing on the floor boards, and I cannot find one under the hood. I have the new valve and am getting ready to order the cable. Pictures would be greatly appreciated..... Thank you

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have a heater cable from inside the truck. Hook that up to the heater valve and the will determine where on the hone inlet side to the heater where you valve will go.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Although with factory EFI installs, it’s common to relocate the heater valve to a new location from where Ford originally put it on a bronco.
A common swap is to a non-stock heater valve with a reverse flow direction so that it could be mounted to the firewall or near the firewall in the heater hoses.

So if you can take a picture of your engine and if it’s still got the 5.0 metal heater tubes on it that would be great.
A stock cable and a stock valve might work, or it might be troublesome.

Member 904Bronco has some good pictures of how he’s done them in the past.

OP
OP
BRONCITIS74

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
Here's what I have now. Notice one of the hoses goes under the fuel injection unit before it reconnects to the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_134910.jpg
    IMG_20220813_134910.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220813_135028.jpg
    IMG_20220813_135028.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 21

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
going to be at least a little different than 90% of the other installs then, because your upper intake plenum has the throttle body facing the driver's side. Most have the whole TB and MAF over on the passenger side.
Plus yours is using standard rubber hose rather than the 5.0 hard tubing.

In some ways that will make it easier, but the location of the plenum body might interfere with the standard mechanical heater control valves.
Do you currently have a TEMP cable installed? Got the knob on the dash at least?
If so, have you poked around behind the plenum to see if the cable is still there?

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Coolant water flows out of the intake manifold and returns to the water pump, so the valve should be placed in the hose that darts under your intake plenum. It will have to be real close to the firewall and you might have trouble with the bends...
Do as Paul suggests, lets see what you have there, a working cable, and it exits out the hole in the center of the fire wall.
As Spap says, the cable length determines where the valve can go. You may have other items trying to occupy the same space.
You can relocate the cable hole in the fire wall lower and more to the pass side or you could use the Mustang coolant tubes. But then that affects other things...

one step at a time here...