• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 - Very Hard Shifting

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

This probably isn't the best way to approach this problem; but, I am going post some information to see if anyone else has related experience that might help.

In our '70 we have a NP435 mated to a 347 Stroker. The Bronco hasn't been driven anywhere other than up on the trailer a half dozen times in the last 10 years. (It's long slow build.)

Two years ago while some other work was being done to the Bronco we had a WH Gear Banger installed.

I don't recall what the transmission was like shifting before the Gear Banger; but, with it, shifting is really hard.

I don't know if the problem is that the transmission has been sitting so long and that may there's some surface oxidation on some of the internals, or if it has to do with the alignment of the Gear Banger, or if there is another problem. I have worked on greasing joints on the Gear Banger and realigning it. It hasn't made much difference.

Any thoughts on where I might start troubleshooting. I have very limited experience with transmissions.

Thanks,

Jeff

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
First thig to do is make sure your clutch is completely disengaging

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Jon,

That is another topic. Lol

The clutch doesn't really engage until the pedal is about 80% out from being depressed fully.

I originally thought it might be a clutch adjustment issue, and it still may. Wouldn't the way it is acting now indicate that when the pedal is fully depressed that it is engaged?

Hope I'm not missing something obvious.

Jeff

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Maybe a picture of the trans shift tower , shifter and the gear banger cooler that attaches the shifter , if the collar is to low/ closer to the trans it will be harder to shift but will have a short throw.. slide the. Collar up if possible will allow easier shifts with longer throw.. As Jon said clutch issues? Sticking input shaft on pilot bushing ,?.. just a couple thoughts..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Where is it hard at?
When shifting with the engine running compared to not running?
Left to right swing? Just getting through the spring to get over into reverse?
Forward and back shifting?

Did someone overtighten one or more of the pivot points on the gear banger?

Higher efforts are normal and to be expected with a short throw shifter. You are loosing the mechanical advantage of a long lever for that of a short lever.

If you want to rule out clutch with the engine running, put the transfer case in neutral. You should be able to bang away gears 2-3-4 as they are all sycronized. 1st and reverse should go into gear but with maybe a little gear clatter if you spun up the transmission.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
EPB72 and Broncobowsher,

Thanks for all the ideas.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. The collar is pretty low... not much mechanical advantage. Not sure there is enough of the original shaft left to move the shifter collar up.

I've loosened/adjusted the pivot points on the Gear Banger. The transmission just shifts really hard up and down. Side to side seems okay.

Good point about the transfer case, too. I hadn't thought about that before.

I'll add more details when I post the pictures.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jeff. This is more work, but you could also try disconnecting it at the collar and simply putting some sort of a cheater bar type implement-of-destruction thingy for added leverage on shifter coming out of the tower.
Eliminating all the gear banger linkage entirely, you’d be dealing with just the transmission.

This way you be able to at least tell whether it’s 100% in the gearbox, 100% with the gear banger, or a bit of each given the leverage factor.
Of course you could start simply by raising the collar if there’s any room left, just to see if it changes the feel.

Good luck.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Jeff if you find the shifter was cut to short I guess you can weld more material or Fyi Novack conversions sells/sold new shifters there straight and they had a few different lenghts

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm anxious to see what can be done to improve it.

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff