• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I6 question?

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My brother wants to convert the 73 Sport I gave him many years ago to an I6. Without doing a bunch of searching and research, what’s the best donor to look for an engine with C4 combo. Presently it’s 302 with C4. Both bad.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Best for what? 170/200 is easy with a C4. 250 is more fabrication, but more torque. He could get deep into it with a sequentially injected, serpentine belted, distributorless, aluminum headed 250 with a 4R70W behind it but only a nut would try that.

He would need to look at early mustang, maverick, granada, fairmont donors for an engine/C4 combo.
20210729_170208.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
2JZ
RB26DETT
225 leaning tower of power

Since you are going away from a V8, there are a lot of options out there.

I have been really impressed with some of the BMW I6 engines as well, but I forget the model numbers.

If you want to stay Ford, the Aussie Barra engine is really well known for being able to make a lot of power.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He looking for stock ford. As drop in as possible.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
He looking for stock ford. As drop in as possible.

Converting a 302 Bronco to I6 is far from drop in. While you can buy the correct frame horns for a V8 conversion from any of the vendors, where are you going to find the correct frame horns for an I6? Core support and radiator are different as well.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think he should rebuild the 302 and C4. He asked if I knew what was involved in a I6 conversion. Said I’d ask the experts. I thought there were some similarities with the F100. But they are probably as rare and sought after as the EB.

Thanks for the replies.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would go buy a explorer 5.0 from a junk yard for $500 and put a carb and a roller gear DUI distributor and be done.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will mail you a 2 barrel intake and carb for free if you pay shipping.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But boring his current block .030 over and buying a balanced 347 stroker kit will change his life and boost his testosterone 50%.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
A 302 is capable of really good torque. The trick to keep the air velocity up. Just don't go overboard on the valves and head runner size. I use a knock-off of the Edelbrock Performer cam, an Edelbrock performer dual plane manifold, and a little Edelbrock 500 CFM four barrel. This combination is very responsive, and
pulls really strong from idle to 4500 RPM. It will make to to 5000RPM, but it really drops off at 4500. It's perfect for my use. I can pull my camp trailer with it but still keep up on Interstate 5.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In his case he’s not looking for roaring performance. He’s just an inline 6 fan and likes low RPMs with smooth torque to idle along on the trails. We both learned to drive in dad’s 56 Dodge pickup with the Flathead 6. Which, BTW, he wrecked so dad used the engine in the snowblower. We are both kinda fond of inline 6s.

bmbm

250 with a rv/torque cam and NV3550 will do most of what you would want on or off road. And limited slip or similar front and back.