• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dash parts

mraine

Contributor
I have a 74-77 single din dash, which I hate, which causes several problems.
1. My dash has those long slots where the lights sit that tell you which knob is the wiper and which is the light switch. Sorry to those who like them but I think they are unsightly.
2. My dash has an ashtray hole, which would be cool if I had an ashtray or the bracket that holds the ashtray. All I have is a hole. So I am sort of stuck on what to do with a big hole in the dash. I cant find the bracket anywhere and even if I could find it, its not really all that functional. I can maybe find the ashtray itself on one of the parts websites but how do I mount it without the bracket?
3. My dash also has the hole for the choke and the tank gauge switch and the brake warning light, none of which I want to use.
4. I also dont have the old mounting bracket for the speedo. I know you can order the speedo bezel from one of the sites but I dont like the look and I wasn't able to tell if the bezel also included a way to mount the speedo or if it was just a faceplate. I need the mounting bracket.
5. Steering column bezel. I dont have one.
6. Last, my dash holes for the windshield retaining knobs dont line up. I have a 66 windshield frame and a later dash. Do those holes not line up on others with similar mix of parts?

So I tried to order a new dash with fewer holes and a better finish and everything is on backorder. You can get the 74-77 dash but not he earlier ones.

So I built some stuff

1. Dash control light bars, brake warning light and key swing - I built some plugs and a shield to protect against key swing rub. I think they look ok.
2. I turned the ashtray hole into a sunglass holder. Its about six inches deep and fits pretty tight in the ashtray hole.
3. Choke and gas gauge switch. I built some plugs. I will get a pic on here to show those in a bit.
4. Speedo mount - I built a mount for the dakota speedo. I think it will hold up ok but I guess only time will tell. Its not metal like the original but there shouldnt be a whole lot of torque on that part.
5. Steering column bezel - I built a plate fairly similar to the original but since I dont like the aftermarket stuff I thought I would give it a shot.
6. Dash holes for windshield retaining knobs. Anybody else have alignment problems with those?

Attachments

• PXL_20220902_210207487.jpg
    PXL_20220902_210207487.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220902_210129526.jpg
    PXL_20220902_210129526.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220825_025515465.jpg
    PXL_20220825_025515465.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20220825_025735207.jpg
    PXL_20220825_025735207.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220902_210144980.jpg
    PXL_20220902_210144980.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220902_210223199.jpg
    PXL_20220902_210223199.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mraine

Contributor
I have a 74-77 single din dash, which I hate. It has those long slots where the lights sit that tell you which knob is the wiper. Sorry to those who like them but I think they are unsightly. My dash has an ashtray hole, which would be cool if I had an ashtray or the bracket that holds the ashtray. But I dont have those parts so I am sort of stuck. I cant find the bracket anywhere and even if I could find it, its not really all that functional. I can maybe find the ashtray itself on one of the parts websites but how do I mount it without the bracket? Anyway, my dash also has the hole for the choke and the tank gauge switch and the brake warning light. I also dont have the old mounting bracket for the speedo. I know you can order the bezel from one of the sites but I dont like the look and I wasn't able to tell if the bezel also included a way to mount the speedo or if it was just a faceplate. Last, my dash holes for the windshield retaining knobs dont line up. So I tried to order a new dash with fewer holes and a better finish and everything is on backorder. So I built some stuff -

Dash control light bars, brake warning light and key swing - I built some plugs and a shield to protect against key swing rub. I think they look ok.

Speedo mount - I built a mount for the dakota speedo. I think it will hold up ok but I guess only time will tell. Its not metal like the original but there shouldnt be a whole lot of torque on that part.

Steering column bezel - I built a plate fairly similar to the original but since I dont like the aftermarket stuff I thought I would give it a shot.

Sunglasses holder - I built a box to hold my sunglasses and stuck it in the ashtray hole.
I bought some small led lights that sit about 1/4 inch out from the dash and shine down on the dash that I am planning on putting in. Someday.

OP
OP
M

mraine

Contributor
I bought some small led lights that sit about 1/4 inch out from the dash and shine down on the dash that I am planning on putting in. Someday.
Does anybody use the brake warning light?

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
Not directly what you asked but the small LED dash lights sound interesting, Any chance you have a link?

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
Mraine, thanks much for tip, I got the ones you posted from Amazon and mounted them to illuminate my dash, turned out nice and gives a nice look at night.

Heads up that the vendor has their own website with a lot of cool product: https://www.oznium.com/

Last edited:

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
Finally got around to taking some pics in case folks are interested with the LEDs mounted below the ARB switch bracket. The green LEDs match the illumination on gauges. They're not as bright as depicted in pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_9497.jpg
    IMG_9497.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 21